Just back - Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour - Nativeway

newbiecruiser54

Hi Everyone - Just back yesterday from the Carnival Triumph. Hated the ship, but loved our tour in Grand Cayman!

We were met at the dock by Nativeway, holding a sign, and waited about 30 minutes for all parties to arrive. We then were driven by bus about 15 minutes to the dock, where we were separated into two groups, those going on the shorter tour, and our group. Only 15 people on our boat. Many more on the shorter tour. Our captain, Chris, and assistant, Charlie, were polite, helpful and taught us a lot during the day.

Headed first to Stingray City, which was packed with boats. Chris found a quieter area, and we got our masks and snorkels and got in. Only comment was that anyone who isn't a great swimmer should wear a lifevest as water was really choppy and deeper until we got a little farther onto the sandbar about 30 yards away. Charlie caught a stingray and we took turns holding and kissing the ray, and had plenty of time for pictures. Then we were given pieces of squid to feed the rays - lots of fun! We had 30-45 minutes with the rays, then got back on the boat and traveled a short distance to Coral Gardens for snorkeling. Saw some pretty fish, but not that incredible.

We then traveled to Rum Point Beach for lunch and relaxation - we had 2 hours there, which was really nice - a beautiful beach. We had traditional Jerk Pork, but they had typical American fare too (burgers, etc.). Quiet, relaxing beach with lots of chairs and hammocks and shallow swimming area. Volleyball for the teens.

Headed back and bus got us to pier just in time to join the massive line back to the ship!

We loved this tour and I thought it the highlight of the cruise. Grand Cayman was beautiful - the water color indescribable.

We were the tall couple from Nashville on the same boat as you. It was wonderful. I was worried at first because the filled 2 big vans with about 60 people and I thought we were all on the same boat. On the dock, they picked out the 15 of us on that tour. We both had the Mahi sandwiches and they were wonderful. Water was a little choppy, but we did get to see the eel in the reefs. Will put pics on webshots very soon.

Todd

You were so lucky to see an eel - we just saw fish, although they were pretty and I'm not complaining. Chris told us that when the water is not so rough, they go out past the barrier to snorkel, and I assume you can see more farther out.

I really loved Grand Cayman and would love to go back there to relax someday!

BTW, we also enjoyed our tour with Phil in Ocho Rios (except the lunch. LOL), especially the river tubing!

I should have mine up on Webshots soon, too. Where did you eat lunch in Jamaica? Phil took us to a crummy little roadside stand with one small plate of meat (some unidentifiable!) and 3 bottles of juice for $20 - no ocean view! This was the only part of the day that we didn't like. Looks like you ate at a better place.

We are thinking of doing this tour with our 3 childeren, ages 10, 12 & 13. Do you think that kids would enjoy Rum Point or would be better off doing the shorter tour & spending the rest of our time in Grand Cayman doing something else?

Thanks

CrusinMom... Thanks... We bought Day passes at the Melia resort for $35 including all drinks and buffet lunch. About a $14 cab from Intl Peir and $5 from downtown.

Newbie....we went to BiBiBip's. Phil had left us by this time and we had a different driver.

Dig...Yes.. I think kids would love this. There is a vollyball court and other beach toys offered at a stand (not sure of price). Kids near us made a big sand castle.

Make sure to take something for motion sickness. These little boats are not like the big ships. We got some from the purser and we were glad we took it.

Great tip about the motion sickness pills! Wrote that down LOL, although we'll probably be taking them daily on the cruise anyway.:rolleyes:

Sharon from Nativeway just called me to confirm my reservation for November! We did the email thing last month and she wrote that she'd be calling to get a credit card number. Since I didn't hear from her right awayI figured she forgot or didnt' really need it. Then SURPRISE! She called today! She was great on the phone answered all my questions and reassured me that the timeframe for the tour works with my ship!!! I cant wait to do this tour!!!! :D

BTW, great pictures setcarp!!!

I have a credit card sized Sony T-1 that takes great pics. I bought a $150 waterproof housing to take the underwater pictures.

Thanks for the nice words.

The pool the pic is of is right on the beach. The resort is on the north tip of Cozumel. $35 day pass for all inclusive drinks and food.

Archived