Just back - Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour - Nativeway

newbiecruiser54

I just got back from sailing on the Miracle and did the sting ray city, reef and rum point tour through Native Way Watersports. Our tour was to end at 1:45 with the last tender at 2:15(island time). We got back to tender with only 6 minutes to spare. Our guides stopped at 2 different hotels to drop off passengers on the way to the tender. The excursion was wonderful, we got great service and attention from our guides. However, I felt like they did not pay enough attention to our (cruisers) deadlines. The hotel guests should have been dropped off after us. At the rum point we had to tell them it was time to go!!!! In my opinion 6 minutes is cutting it too close. Traffic was heavy on the way back and I was really on edge worrying about making the last tender.

I just got back from sailing on the Miracle and did the sting ray city, reef and rum point tour through Native Way Watersports. Our tour was to end at 1:45 with the last tender at 2:15(island time). We got back to tender with only 6 minutes to spare. Our guides stopped at 2 different hotels to drop off passengers on the way to the tender. The excursion was wonderful, we got great service and attention from our guides. However, I felt like they did not pay enough attention to our (cruisers) deadlines. The hotel guests should have been dropped off after us. At the rum point we had to tell them it was time to go!!!! In my opinion 6 minutes is cutting it too close. Traffic was heavy on the way back and I was really on edge worrying about making the last tender.

That does sound a bit too close for comfort. We are doing it in a little over a week. I will be freaking out if we cut it as close as you all. Thanks for posting your review of the tour.

We did this tour last Thurs in Grand Cayman (we were on the Conquest). It was better than I expected! We chose the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour which is for cruise ship passengers, so I can't understand why they were dropping off hotel guests. Everyone on our tour was on a cruise ship. We were back in plenty of time and there is no time difference between ship & Grand Cayman time as seen in previous posts.

Our guide Sheldon was very fun and professional. Several in my party thanked me for booking this tour. They couldn't believe price compared to the ship excursions. You should have seen the ship excursions to Stingray City! Boats with people piled on. Our guides know the rays well and helped us feed and kiss them (for 7 years good luck!)

We had a delicious lunch at Rum Point (an excellent beach if you have children). It is very shallow for a long way out and the water is the most beautiful I have ever seen. For lunch you can choose between burgers, mahi mahi wraps, chicken tenders, salads and much more. And it tastes good! If you're planning to drink alcohol on the beach though....be prepared. The prices are astronomical! $9.29 for a shot of tequila....$5 for a beer. Bring small bills or you will get change in British Pounds.

Take an underwater camera (mine was Kodak) and I had the pics developed today...they turned out awesome!!! :) :) :)

whether or not there is a difference between island time and ship time may possibly depend on the ship you are on. I just got an email back from Nativeway to confirm our reservation--she emphasized that pick up time at the pier is 8:30 am Central/island time, which is 9:30 am ship time--she emphasized the words "ship time".

We did this tour last Thurs in Grand Cayman (we were on the Conquest). It was better than I expected! We chose the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour which is for cruise ship passengers, so I can't understand why they were dropping off hotel guests. Everyone on our tour was on a cruise ship. We were back in plenty of time and there is no time difference between ship & Grand Cayman time as seen in previous posts.

Our guide Sheldon was very fun and professional. Several in my party thanked me for booking this tour. They couldn't believe price compared to the ship excursions. You should have seen the ship excursions to Stingray City! Boats with people piled on. Our guides know the rays well and helped us feed and kiss them (for 7 years good luck!)

We had a delicious lunch at Rum Point (an excellent beach if you have children). It is very shallow for a long way out and the water is the most beautiful I have ever seen. For lunch you can choose between burgers, mahi mahi wraps, chicken tenders, salads and much more. And it tastes good! If you're planning to drink alcohol on the beach though....be prepared. The prices are astronomical! $9.29 for a shot of tequila....$5 for a beer. Bring small bills or you will get change in British Pounds.

Take an underwater camera (mine was Kodak) and I had the pics developed today...they turned out awesome!!! :) :) :)

As far as our ship, Victory, goes there is a time difference. Our ship is an hour ahead of island time. Thanks for your review of the tour. We are so excited about doing it.

I know about the time change and have asked and apparently the Conquest time is the same as island time. We are looking forward to this trip-ony 4 weeks now!!

I've checked about 3 or 4 times to make sure we will be okay with the times. Have fun. I'm really excited about this excursion.

I can't decide if we will just rent a Jeep and drive to Rum Point or take the same tour you did. I've read you can see the rays at Rum Point as well (not as tame.) My question is did you wish you had more time at Rum Point and did you see rays there as well?

Thanks! Mike

Hi

I would like to contact Native Way, but having a great deal of difficulty emailing them. Does anyone have Nativeway's email address? The one I used (<nativeway@candw.ky>): doesn't work.

Thank you for your help

Leave out the "e" in native....nativway@candw.ky

That should get you to them.

I can't decide if we will just rent a Jeep and drive to Rum Point or take the same tour you did. I've read you can see the rays at Rum Point as well (not as tame.) My question is did you wish you had more time at Rum Point and did you see rays there as well?

Thanks! Mike

I would say the most fun was with the stingrays. It would have been nice to have more time at the beach, but the water at Stingray City is just as beautiful. Swimming with those big beautiful rays was the highlight of my whole trip! So it really depends on whether you just want a beach day or a little of both. And don't miss snorkeling the reef if you can!

• 1 month later...

Archived