group rates?

has anyone ever gotta a carnival group rate?

I was curious about this, too. I assume you are talking about a situation where one person organizes a good sized booking of friends and/or family in a "group" of cabins. The group leader could recieve a discount or benefits that may or may not be passed along to members of the group. I was curious how many cabins constitute a group booking and what discount/benefit/perks does the leader and/or group recieve? I believe years ago it was 8 cabins. Don't know if that is still the case.

I inquired about a group rate when 18 of my friends got together for our last cruise. We were far from getting a group rate though. My PVP said said at the time (about a year ago) that in order to get a group rate there was a minimum of 20 cabins needed to be booked. We only had 7 with out group of 18 people.

I can't guarantee what my PVP said is correct because I've never seen a specific minimum group rate number in writing, but I think it is pretty accurate.

It's 8 double occupancy cabins for 1 passenger to get "tour conductor credits" which is a dollar amount based on the average cruise fare (not total cabin price) that everyone in the group has booked. This credit can be spread to all the cabins, one of the cabins, etc. Some groups (it's dependent on the ship and itinerary) also get amenity points that can be used for onboard credits, wine, upgrades, etc. Ususally you are allowed the keep the amenity points with 5 cabins, but not the tour conductor credit.

I inquired about a group rate when 18 of my friends got together for our last cruise. We were far from getting a group rate though. My PVP said said at the time (about a year ago) that in order to get a group rate there was a minimum of 20 cabins needed to be booked. We only had 7 with out group of 18 people.

I can't guarantee what my PVP said is correct because I've never seen a specific minimum group rate number in writing, but I think it is pretty accurate.

Sounds likely to me. Curious what they get, discount or OBC? Only benefit may be linking the group for dining/seating or whatever.

It's 8 double occupancy cabins for 1 passenger to get "tour conductor credits" which is a dollar amount based on the average cruise fare (not total cabin price) that everyone in the group has booked. This credit can be spread to all the cabins, one of the cabins, etc. Some groups (it's dependent on the ship and itinerary) also get amenity points that can be used for onboard credits, wine, upgrades, etc. Ususally you are allowed the keep the amenity points with 5 cabins, but not the tour conductor credit.

That sounds like the group deal my friend was working on years ago. The group leader/tour conductor would earn every penny trying to coodinate all the bookings and getting everyone aboard.

You need to arrange it through the Groups Dept. They will tell you if group cabins are available for a particular sailing and what the Amenity Points would be. We needed to have 5 fully booked cabins in order to get our $100 OBC (on baord credit) per cabin. If you have 8 cabins booked, the group leader gets one free berth (that's one base fare...doesn't include taxes, port charges, etc), and the free berth is based upon the majority of cabins booked by your group. So if your group has almost all inside cabins, your free berth is based upon the inside fare. This doesn't get reimbursed to the group leader until AFTER the cruise. Many group leaders will actually spend that money on goodies for the people in their group.

I will warn you, dealing with the Groups Dept was a challenge at times:rolleyes:

That sounds like the group deal my friend was working on years ago. The group leader/tour conductor would earn every penny trying to coodinate all the bookings and getting everyone aboard.

The group leader doesn't need to make the bookings for everyone...it is best to have the people call the groups dept and make their own arrangements...so much easier. You just need to give them the Group Booking # so they get included with the group.

having booked about 5 cruises with 10 to 20 cabins your PVP wil not toss anything out but give you the pros.....

Oh if you go thru group sales and the price is lower they'd cant help you or give you OBC. Also, we link everyone together for dinners,etc....

But wow once got a future 20 credit when I complained about the meet and greet I paid for!

The berth is free, but you have to pay all the extra fees. Plus all of that usually has to be paid in full upfront, then a month or so after the cruise you get the price of the berth back.

Sounds like all 3 of us agree that its not worth it. The tour conductor would have to be relentless to organize everything.

I never said it wasnt worth it, some people love to organize groups. For those, its a great way to get a reduced cruise.

Seems like you're splitting hairs with the free/reduced bit. The taxes and port charges are additional to all posted cruise fares and don't seem to stop any of us from cruising. Anyhow, like others posted, group members could book separately with the Group Booking Number. That would make life easier for the ringleader.

Seems like you're splitting hairs with the free/reduced bit. The taxes and port charges are additional to all posted cruise fares and don't seem to stop any of us from cruising. Anyhow, like others posted, group members could book separately with the Group Booking Number. That would make life easier for the ringleader.

My point, was only to correct the post that said the cruise was totally free. Each person has to decide if its worth it or not.

I wouldnt call paying $250 anywhere close to being free:) That is what my friend ended up paying for being a group leader. It all depends on the length of cruise, but its far from free.

All you guys seem like a swell bunch. Please join me on my new group cruise. I'll gladly pay the taxes and port fees for my cabin. I'll even spring for a free DOD for each of ya. I'll get the group booking number to you and you can book direct. Maybe we can get JH to put in a special appearance at our MNG.

Archived