Pictures of the fold out couch in Jewel mini-suite?

sdmike

I searched and couldn't find any pictures. Hoping that somebody has one. We're putting 14 people in 4 mini-suites for an AK cruise next year. The rooms with 4 each have two teenagers sharing with 2 adults. These teens would have to share the fold-out couch, so I need to know how these couches work. If they work like the balcony rooms and fold out like a sleeper sofa, we could be ok. If they simply lay down flat (with the back rest becoming 1/2 the bed) we could be in trouble.

Here are a few pictures that show what I mean.

Here is a picture of a Jewel balcony room with it's tiny, useless :) couch thingy:

1157764299.jpg?5.15

However, it becomes usable as a bed because it folds out into a twin bed as shown below (also showing the 4th bunk pulling down over the balcony door)

1157764300.jpg?5.15

Now, here is a picture of the mini-suite. Notice the wide couch. If this wider couch folds out into the room like the one in the balcony cabin (with heads going where the backrest is), we might be ok. If the couch simply folds flat, requiring the user to have their head by the balcony or other bed, we're in trouble. Anyone know how these fold out, or better yet, have a picture?

This is the Gem, but same idea..

wwwIMGP8351.jpg

Not my room just a picture I scraped off here years ago. If you look at how far it comes out it appears 2 would sleep 90 degrees to the twin beds. The answer may be a couple of foam toppers and the adults on the sofa bed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

The ones on the Sun fold flat so the sleeper would either have their heads balcony or away from the balcony. If the ones on the ship you are booked on are the same size as the ones on the Sun sleeping 2 teens is going to be tight. The ones on the Sun were more like a futon than a true sleeper sofa.

The ones on the Star are also like those described above on the Sun. I slept on one last year (28 at the time and 5'3") and found it quite uncomfortable. Because it was futon style it was not flat - had higher and lower areas that I tried to arrange myself around - and was VERY hard. Would have asked for mattress topper(s) if I'd known they were available.

It was a free trip to Alaska so I was very happy to just have my own "bed" in my parents cabin, but if I'd been paying for it I would not have been happy.

I searched and couldn't find any pictures. Hoping that somebody has one. We're putting 14 people in 4 mini-suites for an AK cruise next year. The rooms with 4 each have two teenagers sharing with 2 adults. ...

Have you thought about just putting the kids in an inside room across the hall? Let the teens pile in and the adults get a nicer arrangement.

Just a thought that I have seen others do.

Thanks for the additional info and pictures, folks. This looks like it's going to be problematic for a 17 year old and 15 year old to share that bed. We might have to rethink our options, including a move to a standard balcony. With the mini only being $200 more total I thought the extra space would be great, but it clearly messes up the sleeping arrangements.

Garycarla - we're already getting one inside for my MIL and daughter, but it's a two bed unit and not a four berth room. I could theoretically switch that to a four bed and put one of the teens in a bunk. They wouldn't be across the hall from us anymore, but 10 doors down might not be too bad.

Thanks again for all the input

You could always go balcony inside and have a little less removed from your wallet. The biggest advantage is 2 bathrooms for 4 people.

I've done side by side balconies that way in the past too. Nice having two baths.

This trip I'm responsible for 6 people, including my MIL. I have a mini-suite and an inside across the hall already. I really don't want to pay for a 3rd room to handle 6 people. An inside double occupancy is over $2,000!

Archived