Onboard Charges - Option A or Option B?

Per the Cruise Ticket Contract:

Option A - I choose to pay my onboard charges in the currency of my card, . . . Conversion fee is 3%.

Option B - I choose to have my credit card issuer convert my onboard charges.

I called my credit card company yesterday, let them know we were cruising and to expect international charges. They informed me international charges were a 3% fee.

Looks like we are screwed on the 3% fee with either option.

Thoughts? Thanks!

I always choose Option B.... the exchange rate will definitely be better than the one used by RCCL. And I now check after boarding that Guest Services have Option B too... one cruise had confirmed this at pier check in to discover at the end of the cruise that RCCL were doing the exchange.... ruined my last sea day sorting it out.

Per the Cruise Ticket Contract:

Option A - I choose to pay my onboard charges in the currency of my card, . . . Conversion fee is 3%.

Option B - I choose to have my credit card issuer convert my onboard charges.

I called my credit card company yesterday, let them know we were cruising and to expect international charges. They informed me international charges were a 3% fee.

Looks like we are screwed on the 3% fee with either option.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Need a bit more information......

Are you from the USA? If so, your ship charges will not be international, as they will be from Miami, FL.

Being from the USA, I ignore the whole exchange rate section, as it doesn't apply.

Need a bit more information......

Are you from the USA? If so, your ship charges will not be international, as they will be from Miami, FL.

Being from the USA, I ignore the whole exchange rate section, as it doesn't apply.

What about if you are from the USA and cruising out of Barcelona? Is the charges still US or Euros?

If you are Canadian under no circumstances allow RCL to convert your account to Canadian $$. That will cost you an additional 3% plus their conversion rate is higher than your bank.

Best way to handle it, sign up for a cash account. If you have enough to pay in cash before the end of your cruise better. If not, go to the service desk on your second to last night and give them your Canadian cc then and tell them they are NOT to convert. You have a better chance of them listening to you at that time than when you check in.

Archived