Tipping Youth Staff (Adventure Ocean)

Is it the norm on Royal Caribbean to tip the youth staff?

I have never done it, but I thought it wasn't fair that waiters, stateroom attendants were being tipped but youth staff weren't.

Not sure if my thoughts are justified, since RCI must have a reason why they don't institute a tipping policy for Adventure Ocean staff, e.g. by giving out envelopes and strongly suggesting some tips.

This was debated on a thread a few months back and there were a variety of opinions. My view is that we should tip and I have done so. I put an amount of money in an envelope and leave it with the Director of the Youth Program, depending on which line we are on, and leave it up to them to distribute. I also made a point when we were last on the Explorer to send in a comment card after the fact rating Adventure Ocean as very high and mentioned the Counsellors in my kids' age group by name. I figured that could not hurt. I know there is another reason RCI does not distribute envelopes but I can not recall it but someone mentioned it last time. In any case I have always tipped and would feel guilty otherwise.

Bob

This was debated on a thread a few months back and there were a variety of opinions. My view is that we should tip and I have done so. I put an amount of money in an envelope and leave it with the Director of the Youth Program, depending on which line we are on, and leave it up to them to distribute. I also made a point when we were last on the Explorer to send in a comment card after the fact rating Adventure Ocean as very high and mentioned the Counsellors in my kids' age group by name. I figured that could not hurt. I know there is another reason RCI does not distribute envelopes but I can not recall it but someone mentioned it last time. In any case I have always tipped and would feel guilty otherwise.

Bob

The crusie line makes it quite clear to whom tips are to be distributed. If you feel a need to tip someone else by all means go ahead but please leave guilt out of it. It makes those inquiring feel they should feel guilty if they don't do likewise.

I'm with Jonah315. The AO staff make a huge impact on our cruise (they in effect give DH and I a 'date night' every night) so I feel it wouldn't be right NOT to tip them. They're worth their weight in gold! Since so many of them work with my children, I give one lump sum to the AO director on the last night to share with everyone.

Clearly you are not required to tip the AO staff as there are no hard and fast guidelines as there are with waitstaff, cabin steward, etc. Yeah, I know, you're not required to tip the waitstaff and cabin steward, those are only suggestions.

My children are older now, but when they were "of age", we did NOT tip the AO staff.

They are part of the activities staff and earn a decent wage, as opposed to the service staff (waiters, stewards, etc) who earn a small basic wage.

After thinking it over, it would be better if the Adventure Ocean staff's wages were paid by the cruise line based on a gratuity system. It would lower their base pay and less of the cruise fare would be applied to it which means those of us who do not use the AO program will not be penalized by paying for something we not only don't use but cannot possibly use. The price of the cruise could be lowered which we will all benefit from plus the bleeding heart overtippers will have yet another area they can go around advertising where they tip.:D

Archived