Moving people at check-in. Anyone able to do this?

sdmike

We currently have 14 of us booked in 6 rooms for an upcoming Alaska cruise. Three of the rooms will be occupied as planned, but one of the insides and two of the mini-suites will have different people sleeping in them than are currently on the reservation. We planned to just request extra keys to meet our needs, but I'm hopeful that NCL can move us around as needed at the port during check-in. Anyone done this successfully?

We tried just call and change, but NCL said that we had to keep at least one of the original adults in each room, otherwise it would be considered a cancellation and the deposit would be forfeited. Seems lame since we're just moving bodies with no impact on fares, but that's what they said. We're trying to move my brother and his family into the room booked under my wife because the room connects to our grandparents, and one of their kids is sleeping in their room.

Anyone have success with sorting this all our during check-in?

We did this once to get latitudes rates on everyone in our party -- We needed one latitudes member in each cabin.

They wouldn't switch us at check-in. But once we boarded we just went to the service desk and they issued new keys to those who needed to switch rooms.

We currently have 14 of us booked in 6 rooms for an upcoming Alaska cruise. Three of the rooms will be occupied as planned, but one of the insides and two of the mini-suites will have different people sleeping in them than are currently on the reservation. We planned to just request extra keys to meet our needs, but I'm hopeful that NCL can move us around as needed at the port during check-in. Anyone done this successfully?

We tried just call and change, but NCL said that we had to keep at least one of the original adults in each room, otherwise it would be considered a cancellation and the deposit would be forfeited. Seems lame since we're just moving bodies with no impact on fares, but that's what they said. We're trying to move my brother and his family into the room booked under my wife because the room connects to our grandparents, and one of their kids is sleeping in their room.

I attempted at one time a few years ago to do such a thing and was told at that point it wasn't possible. After you get on the ship go to the desk in the atrium where you would get the new keys and they may be able to do the actual people switch thing that you need....if not you can get the new keys and people can sleep in what ever cabin they want.

Well, the fallback plan was to get keys for everyone, but we calculated that we needed 12 extra keys to move people where we wanted. Shame we can't do this easily so we don't have folks with multiple keys.

Guess I'll bring a sharpie so I can write on these extra cards (no, I won't put the room number)

Had a similar situation before and couldn't change prior to sailing via phone but once on the ship did not have a problem at all! Just go to the service desk and they should be able to handle this request. Have a great cruise.

Were you able to actually get changed room assignments, or just extra keys for the other rooms? I'd like to have one key per person.

Thanks

We did this back in 2003 when we took our kids to AK. The reservation had to show an adult in each room so my son and I were in one room and my wife and daughter were in the other. Once aboard, we simply got spare keys made so that my wife and I could stay together and the kids were together. The only one who put two and two together was the room steward and he was cool with it.

If you are setting up seperate charge accounts for each room it might make things harder for you to seperate out.

I am sure that things have changed since 03 - but I bet if you went to either the hotel desk or the pursers desk they can make sense out of your khaos

Last year on the Pearl, to take advantage of Latitudes pricing, we had to book my husband and I in separate rooms. When we got on board, we went to the hotel desk and it was no problem to switch people and rooms. We receive new keys for the two people we switched. You have more people to switch so it could take awhile for them to do the process while you wait for them to reissue key cards. Enjoy your trip!!

Just did this on the Spirit last week. As previously reported, they would not do it at check-in but told us to go to guest services once on board.

Only took a few minutes to issue new cards with the new room numbers and correct photo. The charges all were posted correctly throughout the week as well.

Much easier than keeping track of 2 key cards each and keeps Susy age 7 from accidentally using Grandpa's card to debark in port! ;)

Mike, how far up the chain of command did you go when you called NCL? Did you push to make this happen or drop it after the initial call and decide to just handle it onboard?

We have to do something similar for our upcoming Epic cruise. My grandfather has decided he'll be a bit more comfortable in a mini suite and have a bit more room - especially in the bathroom - but we don't want to lose his room. Right now, we have 5 rooms, 3 are together, 2 rooms separate and then the other 2 are together. We want to keep 2 and 2 together rather than 3 and 1, if that makes sense...but my grandfather is currently in one of the rooms in the "2 rooms together" block. Mostly we just want to (hopefully) remove the balcony dividers and then everyone will have a larger balcony.

Anyways...having to upgrade another twosome in our group and then switch with my grandfather once on board is going to cause a huge headache. This is also the first cruise for many in our group the simple matter of getting people to wait in line at the service desk for the first hour of the cruise to take care of this is going to be a challenge. My grandfather will be totally confused by it all and cranky if I tell him he needs to see customer service as soon as we board. Plus, then the luggage is going to be delivered all wrong and that will stress him out.

I'm wondering if I try and push this with NCL and climb up the chain of command if I could possibly get anywhere. Since we are upgrading one room of our own choice (and at the full price), I would hope they'd be willing to accommodate the requests...??

Mike, how far up the chain of command did you go when you called NCL? Did you push to make this happen or drop it after the initial call and decide to just handle it onboard?

Actually, saying we called NCL was misleading. We have a very good TA that does all our trips for us, and they placed the call(s) on our behalf. You may have better luck if you talk with a PCC and escalate it to a supervisor, but then again maybe not. Good luck!

..., but I'm hopeful that NCL can move us around as needed at the port during check-in. ...

Just keep your original official arrangements, but shuffle your people around as you see fit. Then, just make sure everyone is in their assigned beds for the 4AM bed check. Set your alarms for 3:55 each morning and scamper to your assigned berths. You'll all be back in your preferred beds by 4:15.

Glad to help.

InTheCruisingYearsOfLife

(Note to any humor-disabled readers: the above is just a joke!)

Just keep your original official arrangements, but shuffle your people around as you see fit. Then, just make sure everyone is in their assigned beds for the 4AM bed check. Set your alarms for 3:55 each morning and scamper to your assigned berths. You'll all be back in your preferred beds by 4:15.

Glad to help.

InTheCruisingYearsOfLife

(Note to any humor-disabled readers: the above is just a joke!)

I think I saw a movie like that :)

The adults assigned to each room, or even the kids??

We only had two adults in each cabin so I can't really give you an answer. If it were me I would probably try it without the kids first. It might be easier if you make a list beforehand of who will end up where.... Good luck! :D

Archived