dive in Belize or Coz?

blueagave

I am going on my FIRST cruise in June on the Elation - I can't wait! I want to do one dive and one snorkel. Where should I dive, Belize or Cozumel?? There is a ship sponsored dive in Coz, but not Belize. What do you think?

Both places have great dive sites, and for me, it would depend on who I was traveling with. If it was just my family (they do not dive), I would dive Cozumel. Although both stops have a lot of excursions, Belize has a couple more truly unique ones like cave tubing - a great trip. If I was going with diving friends, Belize would be the choice because of the variety of underwater adventures. Atolls, coral valleys, swim throughs and some wrecks offer some fun dives. Diving either place you can't lose.

Have fun

Thanks everyone for your help! DH and I are going with some non-diving friends, so I think we will do the cave tubing with them in Belize and ditch them for a day of diving in Coz!

Laura, does Sand Dollar do the Carnival dives? We are sailing on the Elation.

THANKS!

Get the non-divers certified, and do both together!

Seriously, if you have not tried the cave tubing in Belize, it's fun.

It's much easier to find a dive in Cozumel - there are lots of good operators, so you can find one (ship or independent) that suits your diving style.

Have a great time!

Wendy

It's a hard decision--even if you were planning a week-long scuba trip each place offers its own charms. You won't be disappointed diving either place.

But since you're on a cruise, I'd say pick the dive site based on which other things you'd like to see. Belize is great for jungle/ecotour type excursions and Cozumel offers easier access to Tulum and Chichen Itza. I'm a dedicated diver but actually didn't dive in the Yucatan the first time I was there because I wanted to see those two historical landmarks. So many people forget we have history that rivals Europe right here in the western hemisphere!

Kathi

P.S. If you do decide to dive in Coz--I agree with tootsiescurly--dive with Alison.

Archived