Toulon - Sanary and Castellet

gillsjottings

Hi There,

We will be doing a cruise on RCCL Liberty of the seas in June next year and although we are doing mainly private tours, I am trying to work out what to do in Toulon.

The ship offers an excursion to Sanary and Castellet that I am quite keen on, but the thing that is putting me off booking it is the fact that it's marked as strenuous. I am not sure why as the write up doesn't sound particularly athletic.... I'm wondering if perhaps there are hilly streets to negotiate? If that's the case I'm sure I'd manage. Is there anyone who has perhaps done this shore excursion or who has some knowledge or these two towns who could offer me some advice?

I'd hate to miss out on visiting these places, but on the other hand I wouldn't like to sign up for something I'm not fit enough to manage :confused:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

Sanary is one of our favourite little French sea-side towns---dead cute, less touristy than most, real fishermen, real shops--no trouble walking around there.

I guess they say "strenuous" insofar as Castellet is a typical French hilltop town--all up-and-down, all cobbled streets. It would be harder to do with a wheelchair, or a walker, but should be fine otherwise--just take your time and watch as you go. It looks like this:

Vide-greniers-brocante-Le-Castellet-img10449.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPJNTgihvLOFTkrCF8fvXI23xuO_JiOAynji0itCz0wUbgRkST

Nice, cute town, with a lot of interesting shops (and I'm not a "shopper"!).

Each time we've stopped in Toulon, we've rented a car--very easy to do, and easy to drive in the area. Just make sure where you dock...smaller ships dock right in Toulon, while larger ships dock just west of Toulon in La Seyne (which is much easier to get to Sanary and Le Castellet). We rented from National there...they reimbursed the taxi there, and then drove us back to the ship after--great service!

Enjoy your stop in Toulon!

Kevin

• 4 weeks later...

Archived