Wine Package - (2012 Pricing)

TriMomma

I had planned on buying a wine package for my March cruise, but I don't like the new wines offered. We enjoy a little Korbel bubbly on the balcony, but now it's not a choice. I guess I'll have to rethink what we want to do in March.

I had planned on buying a wine package for my March cruise, but I don't like the new wines offered. We enjoy a little Korbel bubbly on the balcony, but now it's not a choice. I guess I'll have to rethink what we want to do in March.

Carnival will still gladly sell you Korbel all day long.

You still might want to check once on the ship. Not everything you read on the Internet is gospel and even "facts" are subject to change under heat and pressure. :)

I know that the price Carnival charges shouldn't be compared to the price at my local wine shop, but I did, anyway.

Any price with 'cents' listed are from my local BevMo or Total Wine. The few others are from an online source and would require shipping.

Wine Package

5 Wines

Barefoot bubbly, Brut Cuvee 6.99

Copper ridge, White Zinfandel 6.99

Zonin, Pinot Grigio 13.99 (1.5 Liter)

Clifford Bay, Sauvignon Blanc 8

Barefoot, Chardonnay 5.99

Barefoot, Pinot Noir 5.99

Bogle, Merlot 7.99

Twisted, Zinfandel 5.99

Black Swan, Shiraz 7

Smoking Loon, Cabernet Sauvignon 6.99

Deluxe Wine Package

5 Wines

Zonin, Prosecco 12.99

Castello Del Poggio, Moscato 14.99

Oyster Bay, Sauvignon Blanc 10.99

Schmitt Sohne, Riesling Spatlese 9

Kendall Jackson, vintner’s reserve,chardonnay 10.99

Murphy goode, Merlot 11.99

Concha y toro casillero del Diablo, cabernet sauvignon 7.99

Bodega santa Elena, malbec

Bordeaux, domaine barons de Rothschild lafite 15

Premium Wine Package

5 Wines

Paul louis, blanc de blanc 9

Ecco domain, pinot grigio 9.99

Ferrari-carano, fume blanc 12.99

Pouilly-fuisse, burgundy 15.99

Frei brothers, chardonnay 15.99

Kendall-Jackson, Vintner’s reserve, pinot noir 14.99

Kendall- Jackson, Vintner’s reserve, merlot 15

Hess select, cabernet sauvignon 14.99

Melini, chianti classic riserva 13.99

Yangarra, shiraz 16.79

gary

Looks like the list and pricing has changed substantially since May 2011?

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalMagic/May_01_2011/04SeaDay2/may4/DSC_4420.JPG

It certainly has changed. I ordered our wine package today for our January cruise and I went with the deluxe this time where in the past we went with the basic.

I called yesterday after I read the OP's post and the new prices were already in effect.

Still ordering through BV saved us the 15% and that's a Bucket Of Beer.:D

It was our first time ordering through BV and the reps I spoke to were fantastic. As mentioned here on the thread I requested an email confirmation and I received that 10 minutes later.:)

Printed it out and I am going to make sure I bring it with me.

It's a fact that all of these wines can be purchased in your local wine shop at much lower prices, but that doesn't matter. Unless you have a way to transport yourself to land from the middle of the Gulf for a trip to the wine store, you'll either get by with the one bottle per passenger, go without, or purchase wine on-board. To me, it's a vacation and I totally expect to pay more for things I normally would not. The wine packages is a great way to save a few bucks.

It certainly has changed. I ordered our wine package today for our January cruise and I went with the deluxe this time where in the past we went with the basic.

I called yesterday after I read the OP's post and the new prices were already in effect.

It was our first time ordering through BV and the reps I spoke to were fantastic. As mentioned here on the thread I requested an email confirmation and I received that 10 minutes later.:)

Thanks for the info and details - I will be ordering tomorrow - sharing the 5 bottles with my friend I am travelling with - plus the 1 bottle per person - should see us thru the week? :) Will also make sure I get an email confirmation! (does it show up anywhere on your 'cruise manager'? or profile?)

Thanks for the info and details - I will be ordering tomorrow - sharing the 5 bottles with my friend I am travelling with - plus the 1 bottle per person - should see us thru the week? :) Will also make sure I get an email confirmation! (does it show up anywhere on your 'cruise manager'? or profile?)

It has been my experience that you have to ask specifically for an email receipt. It doesn't show up on your Cruise Manager or profile.

Looks like the list and pricing has changed substantially since May 2011?

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalMagic/May_01_2011/04SeaDay2/may4/DSC_4420.JPG

These prices don't include the 15% gratuity.

Nope, it doesn't save you the 15% gratuity.

These prices don't include the 15% gratuity.

Nope, it doesn't save you the 15% gratuity.

Sorry to tell you but I have the email confirmation from BV and there was NO 15% gratuity or tax added on as per my discussion with the BV rep.So I guess we'll have to wait til someone comes back from their cruise to see what the REAL story is.

Sorry to tell you but I have the email confirmation from BV and there was NO 15% gratuity or tax added on as per my discussion with the BV rep.So I guess we'll have to wait til someone comes back from their cruise to see what the REAL story is.

Then they charge 15% more than the ship does, pre-gratuity.

The prices BV charge are the same as what the ship + gratuity charges. You'll find out on your cruise.

I know that the price Carnival charges shouldn't be compared to the price at my local wine shop, but I did, anyway.

Any price with 'cents' listed are from my local BevMo or Total Wine. The few others are from an online source and would require shipping.

gary

Thanks for the info, Gary. I was thinking of taking the list to my local store and seeing how it compared. I recognized some of these wines and the prices you found are very similar to what I would pay in my area.

I realize that one obviously is going to pay a significant markup in exchange for the service received. The cruise line is in business to make money, and I have no problem with that. But really, marking up the price of a bottle four times what it retails for?? I don't mind paying, maybe double or even a bit more. But four times the price of retail? (And you can bet that Carnival is NOT paying retail for these wines!)

I don't restrict this complaint to cruise lines, either. I would buy lots more wine in restaurants, but I limit my consumption there because I don't like feeling like I've just been robbed. I'll sometimes have a little wine with dinner, but most of the wine I drink is bought at retail and consumed at home. Alas, the cruise ship has us over a barrell, if you'll forgive the pun. If you want to drink at all, you have to pay these ridiculous prices. It still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Becky

Is it safe to assume that if you have a 'wine coupon' leftover that you can keep it (like for your next cruise) if you don't wish to take any bottles home with you? (I still have some bar coupons left over from last cruise that I will be bringing with me this time)

if you've bought and paid for it already, you should not be receiving a bill for the difference. You bought at 2011 prices. You buy next week, you'll pay more. Just consider this an "early saver" rate.

Still I have to wonder why you'd pay a mark up of 250-300% on these wines as most run between $8 and $ 12 a bottle, retail. Does this include corkage as they hold in MDR for you or are they delivered to your cabin? I didn't think the markup on BV liquors delivered to the cabin was quite that much.

It is true that most of these are 8-12 bottles of wine but if you buy them by the bottle in a restaurant, you will pay about the same as Carnival is charging. Still a lot cheaper than buying wine by the glass.

Pat

You are not buying the wine cuz it is a 'good deal' - you are buying it so you can consume it on board (and possibly save a few bucks only?) Of course buying the wine retail is NOT the same as buying it in a hotel or restaurant - you have to expect and accept the markup - otherwise you can try and smuggle more wine onboard if you wish :)

New pricing already in effect so no big savings if you have not purchased by now!

The wine packages are NOT on the website - see post 1 of this thread for details!

For those that purchased and asked for a confirmation email - how long did it take to get it? I orderd my package yesterday and asked for an email, but nothing yet? Should I be concernd?

I have ordered a wine package my last three cruises. They changed selection now it seems and do not offer Robert Mondavi wines at any level. That's a game changer for me.

Guess we will take on two bottles and (I will drink my husbands bottle) and enjoy the not so good wine in our Carnival Player's basket and call it good. Good thing I like rum..lol

We have 11 adults going in our group so this new selection of wine means we're now going to ask several of our fellow cruisers to "mule" for us. Thank you so much for posting the new list of wines.

I agree that in general a person expects to pay more for a wine at a restaurant or on a ship. It is the way of things. We've seen wines at 3 or 4 times the going rate, and it factors into our decision of where to eat and where to cruise. Sometimes the food is so inexpensive that it all works out well.

Lisa

Archived