Stingray excursion

npb1999

Does anyone have any info on the stingray excursion that carnival offers at grand Turk?

What type of info are you looking for? I just booked it about 10 minutes ago...:) It is for ages 5 and up, but other than for that I don't have much to go on. Hopefully others will post some good details soon.

Take care,

Diana

Does anyone have any info on the stingray excursion that carnival offers at grand Turk?

There are 2 stingray excursions at Grand Turk. Both go to Gibbs Cay, which is on the east side of Grand Turk, and anchor on the same beach, about 50 yards apart. We took the Gibbs Cay and Stingray excursion, and had a good time. The excursion was broken up into 3 parts.

Part 1 was when we first reached the island. We went in the water, and everyone had a chance to hold a stingray, if they wanted to do so. Duration will depend on how many people want to do it. You also can shuffle or swim around a bit, and see the rays. While they were taking turns holding the rays, several of us with underwater cameras were swimming around the group, taking pictures of the rays.

Note the ray swimming behind me. There were probably a dozen rays in the area, swimming freely around.

5980548461_ac8af0bd5c_b.jpg

P7120205 by WillieD13, on Flickr

5980546827_bfec1977e5_b.jpg

P7120199 by WillieD13, on Flickr

Part 2 is a snorkel around the area. This I found a bit disappointing, since there really wasn't as much to see as some of the more specific snorkeling excursions (such as Ultimate Snorkel), and for weak swimmers it can be a no go, since the tour guide, at least ours, goes at a pretty good clip. We lost about half our group right at the start, because they couldn't keep up.

For those who don't follow the guide on the snorkel swim, you can spend more time watching the rays, hang around the beach, or explore the island a bit

Part 3 was back at the beach, where they showed us how to clean a conch. After it is cleaned, you will be offered a chance to sample fresh, raw conch, if you so chose. I think it definitely needed some lemon butter.

5982093531_33fde73c63_b.jpg

P7120253 by WillieD13, on Flickr

• 3 weeks later...

Archived