Bus to Rockley Beach and Turtle Bay? Reliable?

sightseersalso

The buses in Barbados are very reliable. We stayed there for 2 weeks and used the transit sytem all the time, everywhere we went, day or night.

Rockley Beach is great, and ended up being our favourite beach during our stay on the island. Rockley is south of the cruise terminal, about 15 minutes or so by bus or taxi.

There's a small reef straight out from Bar Kanei at Rockley and we would see turtles there most mornings, if the water wasn't too choppy.

When referring to Turtle Bay, I'm guessing that you are referring to Payne's Bay, where the catamaran excursions go to feed the turtles?? If so, Payne's is north of the cruise terminal, I'd say about 20 minutes or so, depending on traffic.

You could do both in the same day, no problem. If you hit Rockley in the morning, you might see turtles at the reef there and "kill 2 birds with one stone" so to speak...

Here are some pics I took in Aug 2010, most of the turtle photos were taken at Rockley:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.472934985680.246435.567405680&type=1&l=7a121683da

Cheers, P:)

Thanks, we like your idea of "killing two birds with one stone." Since our ship arrives at 8am, we should be able to make it to Rockley Beach to see the turtles and enjoy the beach. Does this beach have pink sand? Also, is there a small little place near here to try the flying fish? Thanks again

Yes, this beach has the typical Barbados pink sand. At least it looks somewhere between tan and pink, especially where it's wet...

Bar Kanei is right there and they have flying fish. Their prices are not too expensive, but not a real bargain either. You're paying for the "ambience" shall we say... The food does taste pretty good, though.

Keep in mind that there's no absolute 100% guarantee that you'll see turtles there, but there is a really good chance...

We would swim at that beach most mornings from about 8-11 and we'd see turtles about 4 times out of 5. The nice part was that there was seldom anyone else swimming at that reef, so we often had the turtles all to ourselves...

The reef is about 150 yards long and about 150 yards off shore, straight out from Bar Kanei. It's marked at each end with a flag - you can't miss it.

When it comes to beaches in Barbados, you can't really go wrong with any of them, they are all beautiful...

We look forward to hitting this island again on our next cruise, in about a month.

The south port gates are a couple of blocks from the Princess Alice Terminal.

I believe #51 stops at the south port gates, but can't remember for sure. It runs between the Fairchild St. and Princess Alice Terminals, but it's a milk-run (definitely not direct). I don't recall there being a bus route that runs directly from the port gates to Rockley.

If I recall, most of the routes heading south of Bridgetown were at the Fairchild Terminal, which is about 10 blocks or so from the south gate...

Perhaps someone else can confirm this?

There are definitely bus routes from Fairchild St. that will run straight down Hwy. 7 to Rockley.

Yes, this beach has the typical Barbados pink sand. At least it looks somewhere between tan and pink, especially where it's wet...

Bar Kanei is right there and they have flying fish. Their prices are not too expensive, but not a real bargain either. You're paying for the "ambience" shall we say... The food does taste pretty good, though.

Keep in mind that there's no absolute 100% guarantee that you'll see turtles there, but there is a really good chance...

We would swim at that beach most mornings from about 8-11 and we'd see turtles about 4 times out of 5. The nice part was that there was seldom anyone else swimming at that reef, so we often had the turtles all to ourselves...

The reef is about 150 yards long and about 150 yards off shore, straight out from Bar Kanei. It's marked at each end with a flag - you can't miss it.

When it comes to beaches in Barbados, you can't really go wrong with any of them, they are all beautiful...

We look forward to hitting this island again on our next cruise, in about a month.

We have our own snorkel gear, but wondering if we need the fins to get out to the turtles. If we don't need the fins, it would save space and weight in our luggage.

I generally don't use fins when I snorkel, only when I dive. I used to use cheap water shoes, now I use scuba boots. I can walk to the beach wearing them, and it's easier to walk into the water with them on.

Also, while in the water, I find it easier to stand or brace myself against rocks if I need to.

At the reef, there is a mild current on the outside, but I had no problems swimming against it without fins. Neither did my Dad and he's 75:)

Sometimes I'll just snorkel barefoot...

“We have our own snorkel gear, but wondering if we need the fins to get out to the turtles. If we don't need the fins, it would save space and weight in our luggage.“

It is fine to use fins if necessary to reach the turtles, but please remove them and secure them to a tether around your waist while interacting with them.

Their eyes are very delicate and are easily damaged by swim fins.

It is for this reason that the commercial turtle tours prohibit swim fins as one of the conditions set forth by the Barbados Sea Turtle Project.

Once they are injured, they don't return.

Please enjoy them and respect them.

I generally don't use fins when I snorkel, only when I dive. I used to use cheap water shoes, now I use scuba boots. I can walk to the beach wearing them, and it's easier to walk into the water with them on.

Also, while in the water, I find it easier to stand or brace myself against rocks if I need to.

At the reef, there is a mild current on the outside, but I had no problems swimming against it without fins. Neither did my Dad and he's 75:)

Sometimes I'll just snorkel barefoot...

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

Hi,

if we want to go on our own to the turtle beach, can someone tell me, how much is the taxi and how long does it take to get there? What is the best time to go there? I prob like to go there in the morning, so we can see some more of the island...

Summer

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't think the bus was easy to find. They were farther than what I was led to believe and everyone I asked kept telling me the taxi's (which almost all were mini vans) were the "buses". Three separate people directed us to the taxi's and told us they were the buses, we got tired of messing with it and went with the flow. Went to Rockley Beach and cost $15pp round trip. Still had fun

Archived