Uh-oh... Flying in 4 days

nutley chick

Also something to note - if it does need to be lanced (depending on it's size) the doctor will most likely suture something into the wound to keep it slightly open to allow it to drain. I feel for the OP's friend - this is going to be a tough one to deal with.

well....i know in the past i've used epson salt to draw out a huge pimple.

Basically, i would make a hot compress and hot as you can take and then soak the cloth in epson salt. Once you ring out the cloth apply a little on top then apply to pimple/cyst it would draw out the puss. It should burst on it's on....also the antibiotics should cause it to burst on its own within 24-48hrs.

Hope that helps.

I would have said to the doctor that they were leaving on Wednesday and flying and to see if they could go ahead and just lance the damn thing now instead of waiting for antibiotics..It is easier to change/check a bandaged wound that has a head start on healing.

I would have said to the doctor that they were leaving on Wednesday and flying and to see if they could go ahead and just lance the damn thing now instead of waiting for antibiotics..It is easier to change/check a bandaged wound that has a head start on healing.

The doctor should have stepped in the day they went to see him, knowing a trip was days away. The family should have been more pushy too. It makes no difference to the doctor, he's not the one with a scheduled trip. He was playing the game of CYA and following the book. (lawsuits, you know)

Take a piece of pantyhose, cut a tiny hole in it.

Place the tiny hole over the head and press the hole over the head.

Also, you can heat up a soda/beer bottle in boiling water. Place the opening of the bottle over the head. This is supposed to suck the crap up into the bottle.

I know it sounds crazy, but these are things people had to do back when a doctor wasn't nearby.

WTH, dude? Seriously, what are you talking about?

A mind can go in a lot of directions with those directions:o I know what the intent was, but it certainly was missing a few key words;) Referring to the KenMo post
If the cyst is as large as mine was when it was inflamed, this wouldn't help at all anyway. It's a miserable experience - childbirth was better. At least I didn't need painkillers to give birth.:eek: OP, hope all goes well for your travel mate.

We did and we are... Did you read my post? The person has been to the hospital and will be seeing a surgeon if we can't bring it to a head before that.

But, these things are pretty common and I'm sure some of you have had them before. If there is a trick they can help bring it to a head quicker I would like to hear and then decide if it is something worth trying.

If you have nothing to add please step aside. Thanks!

I would google the name of the cyst and homeopathic. I have found a lot of good info that way. Cured my daughter's sore ear, got rid of my stuffy head and figured out what the heck kind of rash my son had.

Good luck. Reading the other posts it sounds painful adn like a possibly long process. I hope not!

As for those concerned about infection, her travel companion is already on antibiotics.

We leave for Miami on Wednesday, sailing on Thursday and someone in our group can't sit down at all. They have an abscess on their tailbone that hurts tremendously. Went to the hospital yesterday and is now taking lots of antibiotics and some pain killers. Been doing the hot compresses and waiting for it to come to a head. PLEASE PRAY THAT IT DOES SOON. if not, they have an appointment with a surgeon on Tuesday to have it cut and drained. This will put a damper on our vacation to say the least.

P.S- If this person knew that I posted this here they would kill me but I'm hoping someone has some quick fixes for these type of things.

If you happen to be n our roll call and we meet at the meet and greet, PLEASE PLEASE don't mention this. lol. I'm going to be so dead.

nutley chick,

You have received a lot of advice in this thread and much of it has been related to conditions other than an abcess.

An abcess can occur anywhere on the body when bacteria enters the skin. The bacteria then multiply and the body responds by flooding the area with white blood cells and if they can't kill the bacteria an abcess or pocket of infection forms.

Ideally antibiotics will be able to kill the bacteria and the swelling will go down as their numbers diminish. If the bacteria are too well established then the swelling will increase and eventually form a 'head' and burst. To alleviate pain and prevent further spreading of infection an incision is made near the center and after the infection drains a packing is placed that acts as a wick to pull the infection to the surface. If an I&D is made then the main thing your friend will need to do is change the dressing frequently while taking care to not pull out the packing. Keeping clean sponge dressings on the drain will assist in pulling out the infection.

Hot MOIST compresses along with taking the antibiotics and staying hydrated is the best course of treatment. Salt soaks may assist in dehyrating the abcess, but dehydrating may also delay it from coming to a head where I&D is an option.

The best thing your friend can do once they are in the Caribbean (Assuming that's where your cruise is going) is to hit the ocean and spend as much time there as possible. Salt water will disinfect the area and pull out the infection. Have them STAY OUT of the ship's pools, hot tubs, and slides; they are all saltwater, but on the off chance that someone else spills bacteria in them they are best avoided if you have an open wound. Even if your friend has an I&D, the ocean will help though it will be VERY painfull and potentially dangerous since they'll be spewing bodily fluids and because of potential for additional infections.

You will note that I both recommended for and against salt water; Against prior because of dehydration of abcess, and for while on the cruise to dehydrate and pull out infection.

Abcesses are much more common than most people think. We treat them every day in the ER and on some days there will be dozens of them.

The doctor should have stepped in the day they went to see him, knowing a trip was days away. The family should have been more pushy too. It makes no difference to the doctor, he's not the one with a scheduled trip. He was playing the game of CYA and following the book. (lawsuits, you know)

RuthlessBoss,

If the abcess is not ready to be lanced then lancing may do more harm. First rule is 'Do no harm.' Any time an incision is made into the body there is an increased risk of infection and when cutting into an infected area, there's a guarantee there will be infection. Antibiotics are prescribed for two reasons; First reason is that they may clear the infection without requiring an incision. Second is that having the antibiotic circulating in the system prior to incision decreases the chances of spreading the infection to other tissue.

Suffices to say he was playing a game of SPA instead of CYA. (Save Pt's A__) literally and figuratively. Lawsuits are often to blame for many of the tests and admissions, but not in this case.

BTW, if the family would have became 'pushy' and they were at an ER, then they more than likely would have been referred to a surgeon or back to their family doc for treatment and follow up. Getting pushy with ER folks doesn't work too well.

nutley chick,

You have received a lot of advice in this thread and much of it has been related to conditions other than an abcess.

An abcess can occur anywhere on the body when bacteria enters the skin. The bacteria then multiply and the body responds by flooding the area with white blood cells and if they can't kill the bacteria an abcess or pocket of infection forms.

Ideally antibiotics will be able to kill the bacteria and the swelling will go down as their numbers diminish. If the bacteria are too well established then the swelling will increase and eventually form a 'head' and burst. To alleviate pain and prevent further spreading of infection an incision is made near the center and after the infection drains a packing is placed that acts as a wick to pull the infection to the surface. If an I&D is made then the main thing your friend will need to do is change the dressing frequently while taking care to not pull out the packing. Keeping clean sponge dressings on the drain will assist in pulling out the infection.

Hot MOIST compresses along with taking the antibiotics and staying hydrated is the best course of treatment. Salt soaks may assist in dehyrating the abcess, but dehydrating may also delay it from coming to a head where I&D is an option.

The best thing your friend can do once they are in the Caribbean (Assuming that's where your cruise is going) is to hit the ocean and spend as much time there as possible. Salt water will disinfect the area and pull out the infection. Have them STAY OUT of the ship's pools, hot tubs, and slides; they are all saltwater, but on the off chance that someone else spills bacteria in them they are best avoided if you have an open wound. Even if your friend has an I&D, the ocean will help though it will be VERY painfull and potentially dangerous since they'll be spewing bodily fluids and because of potential for additional infections.

You will note that I both recommended for and against salt water; Against prior because of dehydration of abcess, and for while on the cruise to dehydrate and pull out infection.

Abcesses are much more common than most people think. We treat them every day in the ER and on some days there will be dozens of them.

RuthlessBoss,

If the abcess is not ready to be lanced then lancing may do more harm. First rule is 'Do no harm.' Any time an incision is made into the body there is an increased risk of infection and when cutting into an infected area, there's a guarantee there will be infection. Antibiotics are prescribed for two reasons; First reason is that they may clear the infection without requiring an incision. Second is that having the antibiotic circulating in the system prior to incision decreases the chances of spreading the infection to other tissue.

Suffices to say he was playing a game of SPA instead of CYA. (Save Pt's A__) literally and figuratively. Lawsuits are often to blame for many of the tests and admissions, but not in this case.

BTW, if the family would have became 'pushy' and they were at an ER, then they more than likely would have been referred to a surgeon or back to their family doc for treatment and follow up. Getting pushy with ER folks doesn't work too well.

Thank You Paul for all that information. Sounds like you and the ER Dr. that treated her are on the exact same page.

The ER Dr. said that it was still to deep to lance (that was Wed.) I do not have a medical degree so I believe the Dr and go on my merry way. I did ask that they give her (yes, I'm speaking of my daughter) if possible, heavier doses of antibiotics. To try to get this cleared up.

She is still in major pain but still doesn't want me to cancel the trip. We fly Wednesday. I do have the trip insurance. SO now my questions is:

DO we still go? Do I cancel? I'm so upset.

Now you're telling us what the doctor should have done?? hahaha

Was it you that went to medical school for many years to give us this fantastic medical advice? Thanks for telling us what the doctor should have done as I'm sure you know more than the medical PROFESSIONAL!:rolleyes:

Prior to my post, it was never mentioned what the doctor had said reguarding it being too deep at that point!!

Most of us were visualizing something ready to pop!

Prior to my post, it was never mentioned what the doctor had said reguarding it being too deep at that point!!

Most of us were visualizing something ready to pop!

Proves my point that it's plain STUPID to get medical opinions/advice on a CRUISE forum. Let's all start "visualizing" and give advice.

Thanks for your medical advice though DOC! ;)

I just don't get how a topic like this gets 3 pages of posts. :confused:

I can think of so many other topics related to cruising that would warrant so much attention..:cool:

I do not agree. I love the unusual questions.

She is still in major pain but still doesn't want me to cancel the trip. We fly Wednesday. I do have the trip insurance. SO now my questions is:

DO we still go? Do I cancel? I'm so upset.

nutley chick, I think this is one area where you'll have to evaluate your individual situation. How bad is the pain - are the painkillers helping? I remember that after I had the cyst lanced and the wick inserted, the pain lessened substantially. My concern would be the flight, as opposed to the cruise - on the ship, she can probably make herself comfortable fairly easily. On the plane, though, she will have to sit in an uncomfortable seat for several hours, which could be painful.

Well we are home... They sliced, drained and packed it. :eek: Now we go back Tuesday to remove the packing. She never, she's 22, cried so much in pain as she did tonight. It ripped my heart out :( BUT she feels so much better already!

Thank you everyone for helping me through this.

We will be sailing Thursday! :D:D:D:D:

If you do go, she will mostly likely need prescription pain medicine for her flight and trip. I seriously doubt that over-the-counter pain meds will be sufficient to fly. If she was crying in pain, then she is not receiving adequate pain control right now.

I've had a painful tailbone condition for the past 7 years and flying is very painful.

I'm hoping your friend has a quick recovery and no further complications, but only she and her doctor will be able to decide if she is well enough to fly.

I feel so bad for you, but if you have travel insurance, the best bet might be to reschedule for when she is feeling better and able to enjoy the trip.

Please keep us posted.

Archived