Interesting question for exp. cruisers or Hosts

CaribbeanKim

My husband and I are about to go on another cruise this July. Usually, we take the whole family (us and 3 kids), but this time...it will only be with our 13 year old. Normally, 3 kids can keep themselves pretty occupied while at the beach, etc...but since there will only be 1 child this trip...we are trying to think of fun, interesting, unusual things for her to do to occupy her time.

Has anyone ever seen, heard of, or brought a metal detector with them on a cruise? (You know, the "beach-comber", hand held type) We thought that would be a great pastime activity...that might also provide some great (and possibly even valuable) memories of our trip. What do you think?

Could be very fun - but I would wonder about a) getting thru security at the airports and then on/off the ship while in port. b) each island has various interpretations of public beach, clubs, ownership, etc al. I wonder how long it would be before someone would come over and ask about what you were up to, legally.

I know those are pessimistic thoughts, so do not let me alone discourage you.

Have you done any geo-caching? Take a handheld GPS and look for (and leave) hidden treasure or checkmarks? Google on geocache or gpsinformation....I have not done personally, but overheard a teen talking about it on Jewel. While there are many 'traditional' caches/ time capsules / etc, this fellow described one on Cozumel - as a perpetual chat room. The item was a logbook and a web URL. When you got back to the computer, you browsed to that site to enter your name/date. It was geared more torwards teens. He didn't elaborate more, so who knows the real story.

Does she already have a camera? Everyone is different, but 13 sounds about right to try some photography. Something she can assemble into a scrapbook or website, once she gets home. And they are HER views of how she saw the vacation, not the snapshots dad always makes her smile for <g>. PointnShoot Digitals are quite afforadable nowadays.

Not sure if she is the oldest or youngest, but makes for a good opportunity to try a few more mature activities (formal dinner with parents, dancing with dad, etc). In other words, highlight the fact the other children are not present, versus disguise it. If she is the oldest, it is a break from doing 'kid' stuff. If the youngest, a chance to not be the baby of the group. Etc.

She will have a good time on the Valor, they have Teen Clubs, on the Spirit it was called Club o2. Im sure she will find lots of friends.

As for the Metal Detector, its ok since Divers can pack items like a Dive Knife in the luggage. Just make sure its checked in and not carried on.

Thanx for the input DNA and Wennfred.

This trip is going to be with our 13 year old daughter (the youngest). We will be sailing the eastern Caribbean to Nassau, St. Thomas, and then to St. Maarten...(this is also our 2nd trip to these islands.) We already have the day planned at Nassau; and know which beaches we want to go to on the other islands. Our daughter already has a digital and an underwater camera, and a mask and snorkel to take along. I only thought of the metal detector because she had expressed a desire for one recently (on our trip to the beaches of Fla.)

Would still like to hear from more people...especially if they have used one or seen others using detectors in the islands.

Archived