Cabin choice on The Sun

crosj

I have room 1202 booked on the Sun. This cabin is forward and appears to be larger then the other BAs. I chose that room because of the big balcony but I have never been in the front of the ship before. I just realized that there is a BD cat available at the rear of the ship-Room 9277. This room is a few dollars cheaper (not a factor). Want your opinion if I should "down grade" to the aft room. BTW, I have sailed the Sun before and like the pool deck because it is so close to everything.

Had this cabin 3/26/2005. It was the best. If we sail on the Sun again I would want the same cabin. It is bigger than the other BAs (about 40 sq. feet bigger), and the balcony is twice as big. I never found it to be windier than the pool deck itself. Don't switch!!!

Had this cabin 3/26/2005. It was the best. If we sail on the Sun again I would want the same cabin. It is bigger than the other BAs (about 40 sq. feet bigger), and the balcony is twice as big. I never found it to be windier than the pool deck itself. Don't switch!!!

I second that. Passengers pay a big bucks to get the same view from the owners suites next door. You can get a regular balcony anytime. Enjoy the ride. I was in an AD forward on the Sun last August. We were able to use the balcony everyday in Alaska (except when it was raining)

Every ship has a few cabins that are a special value. You have one of them.

Thanks for the advice. I will keep my room!!

Good move! I've stayed in 1201, which is next door. You're going to love the location. These forward BA's are very hard to come by. You're very fortunate to have been able to obtain that cabin.

I did my reseach and discovered that room 1202 is 215 sq vs 173 for a typical BA and the balcony is 93 sq ft vs 48 sq ft. WOW. Last year I took a friend of mine on a cruise and we were able to get a handicaped room on the Sapphire Princess. Needless to say the room was larger then most with a big balcony and gigantic bathroom. Since then my friend has gotten hooked on cruising. I tried to tell her that most rooms are not that large. What a rude awakening she had when she recently sailed on a HAL ship. Live and learn I told her!!

What about the forward balcony penthouse suites? Can you leave the balcony door open at night as you can in the regular balconies? Or, is it just too darn windy?

Coka

Yes you can just don't open the inside door at the same time. :eek: Plates will move. Great way to get rid of all the paper they drop off in your suite.

The only time we conld not was when we a had a stong head wind. 30 knot wind meets 20 knot ship creates 50 Knots across the deck.

Check out the pictures on the link below my signature. The 1st picture in General is our CC meeeting on my AD balcony forward on the first sea day. Keep in mind we are in Alaska and able to use the balcony.

Coka,

When we stayed in the forward Penthouse suite on Deck 8 in November, we'd leave the balcony door open all the time. We had no wind issues whatsoever.

When we stayed in the forward AE on Deck 11, we were not able to do that even with the main door closed. It was way too windy. I don't know what the reason for that was: being higher up, the time of year we went (Jan), or speed at which the ship was traveling.

I also have photos of both suites in the links below my signature.

Coka,

When we stayed in the forward Penthouse suite on Deck 8 in November, we'd leave the balcony door open all the time. We had no wind issues whatsoever.

When we stayed in the forward AE on Deck 11, we were not able to do that even with the main door closed. It was way too windy. I don't know what the reason for that was: being higher up, the time of year we went (Jan), or speed at which the ship was traveling.

I also have photos of both suites in the links below my signature.

Interesting -We were on Deck 8 as well and had no issues.

Interesting -We were on Deck 8 as well and had no issues.

It would be interesting to find some folks who sailed the same time we did and stayed in the forward AE cabins/suites on Deck 11 to get their input.

Once you sat or laid down up there you were fine but you definitely needed to comb your hair after you sat or laid down or went back into the cabin. ;)

Shoreguy and Richters, Thank you for the information and for the pictures! I am looking forward to not hanging my head over the balcony to style my hair...will be a treat to just open the doors!

Coka

Shoreguy and Richters, Thank you for the information and for the pictures! I am looking forward to not hanging my head over the balcony to style my hair...will be a treat to just open the doors!

Coka

Glad I could help - what you don't have the usual inside booked this time?

I had a regular balcony on the Sun three times...the time I was alone I had a superior interior. Not sure now about the suites...looks like the extra space is in the bathroom and closet. Heck, I can hang out in my closet and jacuzzi at home! Shoreguy, am I missing something? You know me, will the penthouse or mini suite make a difference to me? Am I missing out on something? I sure don't want to miss out...

Coka

I had a regular balcony on the Sun three times...the time I was alone I had a superior interior. Not sure now about the suites...looks like the extra space is in the bathroom and closet. Heck, I can hang out in my closet and jacuzzi at home! Shoreguy, am I missing something? You know me, will the penthouse or mini suite make a difference to me? Am I missing out on something? I sure don't want to miss out...

Coka

I don't think you will miss a thing without a suite. For you the cabin is a place to recharge before running at full speed again. I found having a suite I spend too much time in the cabin and not enough mixing with the rest of the world.

I will tell you the 24 lights connected to one switch in the AD on the Sun was more then I could take in the middle of the night :D Had an AF to myself on the last Dawn cruise it was very nice but I spent little or no time in it. If you need the space it is great. If you get the up sell call at a bargin it is great.

I am booked back in a standard balcony for my next two cruises, I do love being able to sleep with the door open. Nothing like the sound and smell of the sea while you go to sleep.

Really really looking forward to the hassle of having to comb my hair after comming in off the balcony. Think I might have got a good deal by upgrading from a BA to an AE for only 20 bucks each. Hope so anyway. Sun will be shining for me and my gal even if it's raining all the way to Skagway and back.

Stayed in the owners suite 1203 and had the ajoining stateroom 1202 also in the end of january... when the ship was moving it was to windy to use the balcony, but that was in jan and it is super windy that time of year. The rooms are awesome. They made our cruise outstanding.

Archived