Passport Question

rarodg2

I know there are always a ton these. I did a search and didn't find the information that I was looking for. On one of the port boards I had read something about needing a passport if you are going to the Caribbean beginning Jan. 2006 (now I can't find the post). My family of 13 is scheduled to cruise the Caribbean Jan. 7. I am wanting to know some more information. I know that the majority of cruise critics are passport supporters. Is this true? Has anyone else heard this? And if you have seen posts about this (sorry) can you point me in the right direction. Thanks so much in advance.

Rebecca

Very true, and there are many threads you can read about it, or you can read about it on Carnival.com. Do a search in this forum on "passport", you will find all you ever wanted to know... LOL. But yes, it is true and you will need a passport.

I know there are always a ton these. I did a search and didn't find the information that I was looking for. On one of the port boards I had read something about needing a passport if you are going to the Caribbean beginning Jan. 2006 (now I can't find the post). My family of 13 is scheduled to cruise the Caribbean Jan. 7. I am wanting to know some more information. I know that the majority of cruise critics are passport supporters. Is this true? Has anyone else heard this? And if you have seen posts about this (sorry) can you point me in the right direction. Thanks so much in advance.

Rebecca

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/New_Passport_Requirements.aspx

What are the new passport requirements?spacer.gif

On Tuesday, April 5, 2005, the U.S. State Department announced details of the proposed "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative." If the proposed rules are enacted, U.S. and Canadian citizens will be required to carry a passport for travel to or from certain countries/areas that were previously exempt. The proposed implementation is as follows:

* December 31, 2005 - Passport required for all air and sea travel to or from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America.

* December 31, 2006 - Passport required for all air and sea travel to or from Mexico and Canada.

* December 31, 2007 - Passport required for all air, sea and land border crossings.

Once the proposed rules are finalized - either in their current form or a modified form - the cruise industry will communicate that information to our travel agent partners and guests. In the meantime, individuals with future travel plans that would be affected by the proposed new rules are strongly encouraged to obtain a passport now.

You may print a passport application or get additional information from the government on this subject by visiting: http://travel.state.gov/passport

Please check back on our web site for future updates.

Wow, thanks so much. I knew you all could help. And that was really quick!!! Thanks. I did a search before I posted but wasn't finding the information I was looking for. This is exactly what I needed. Now to go break the news to the family. Thanks again.

Rebecca

I don't think they have, nor is there a timetable for enacting the new rules as far as i know. I would still get one now. If the rules are passed late in the year everybody will be trying to get passports at once to comply with the new rules. Even if the new rules aren't passed it's better to have a passport.

Bill

That site says proposed rules and if enacted. Does anyone know if the rules have been enacted? Just curious!

As far as anything I've read, they are going into effect on these given dates. No one has said that they are not going to do it. In other words, it will be done and these dates are when it will happen. http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2224.html

There is NO indication that these new regulations WON'T be put into place... everything looks to be a "go", so why wait? Say the regulations are not set in stone until NOvember, you have a few weeks to get a passport... then everyone will be whining about not having enough time. Don't wait... it's going to happen, they have been talking about this for several years now...

Should get passports if going in 2006 as these new rules may well be put into effect. They are good for 10 years and you know you're going to want to go on another cruise before then. LOL :D I got mine last month. It took exactly 3 weeks.

I am SOOOO GLAD that I decided NOT to listen to my husband and get our passports. They should be coming any day. He renewed his but the rest of us (me & 2 sons) had to get new ones. I didn't manage to get it done before the extra $12 charge :( but that is OK.

Hubby was telling me he didn't understand why I was so determined to get them when we really won't need them for a few more years - when we plan to do Europe. I think I'll show him the site. I guess his wife isn't so "looney" after all. :D

rwolver672.... like inhoney said, your link states PROPOSED regulations. Does anyone have any link or info that is LAW. Thanks!

This is what it said: "The proposed implementation timeline is as follows:" To me, that means that it is going into effect and this is the dates they have planned to implement it.

This article puts it in better words. It is going into effect. http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2005/44228.htm

Apparantly President Bush read about the passports being needed for Mexico, Canada, and the Carribean in the newspaper and didn't really know about this.

He now has Rice checking into it.

Must have been nap time when they ran it by him the first time.:mad:

Apparantly President Bush read about the passports being needed for Mexico, Canada, and the Carribean in the newspaper and didn't really know about this.

He now has Rice checking into it.

Must have been nap time when they ran it by him the first time.:mad:

When did he start reading the newspaper??

Bill

I'm really glad I got mine a couple of years ago as it's much easier than carrying around my Birth Certificate and hoping it doesn't get ruined, etc. For those of you interested in getting passports for the first time, this is something I didn't realize until I mentioned I was getting one..... You can get them from your neighborhood post office and it's really painless. The cost is the same and the lines are much shorter in most cases. Just call and find out what the hours are for that service.

Guess what. I went to the State Departments travel internet site and downloaded the passport form to fill out. Did so, took it to the local county clerks office and they didn't accept it. Said it did not match anthing they had seen, or had on file. So be careful about these forms.

Jim

Also, when applying for passport, for the photo ---

If you are a AAA member, they will take passport photo's for free. There are several other places that will do them quickly and not much $$. I started to take our own with a digital camera and follow the instructions, but had them done at AAA. While filling out the application at the Post Office, the agent told us that she had seen several applications come back if they had taken their own photo's, but she had never seen one come back that was taken by AAA, Walgreens, and other shops. Just something to think about...

Since we got our passports, it has made travel a lot easier. Also makes other travel now more tempting, as we are flying to Jamaica for a week this fall!

... comes equipped with passport.

Hey, you never know when you're going to have to travel overseas. You might justi win the Price Is Right Showcase!!

It's a painless process to obtain a Passport, and it troubles me that more haven't.

Get a passport all ready! And be done with it. I recommend this to all who love travel.

I went to the State Departments travel internet site and downloaded the passport form to fill out. Did so, took it to the local county clerks office and they didn't accept it. Said it did not match anthing they had seen, or had on file. So be careful about these forms.

Sounds like the problem is with the county clerk. I had no problem with the downloadable forms at the P.O.

Archived