Caymans, Costa Maya and Cozumel

sunshineminnie

Hey all,

I will be going on a cruise in August with my family. They just got their certification last August in FL. The diving was fun (shark teeth hunting) but the visibility was really bad, so they didn't really get to experience what diving really can be like.

So here are my questions for you all. Any advice or opinions are welcome!

First of all, we are stopping in the Caymans, Costa Maya and Cozumel three days in a row. Would three days straight of diving be too much? If we just did two, which two? I did a shore dive in the Caymans and a drift dive in Cozumel and loved both! I would kind of like to dive in Costa Maya as it would be some place different.

I would also like to avoid the ships dives if I could. However, I am a little nervous about short time ashore. (I sure don't want to miss the boat!)

Cayman - 10:45 to 4:45

Costa Maya - 12:45 to 5:30

Cozumel - 8:30 - 5:30

They Cayman and Costa Maya ones seem awfully short to me.

If we do go off on our own, who would you recommend?

We used Alison in Cozumel but didn't dive with her specifically as she was busy already. In the Caymans we went to Eden rock. That was fun but may want to try something different.

Because we are all newbies, I would like this to be as easy and stress free as possible. Also, I don't want to slow any other divers down. Do some offer private dives (for a family of four).

Thanks for any tips and advice!:D

T

I dove with Gypsea Divers in Costa Maya. It is owned by a husband and wife. The dive boat is small but the service was great. You only have time to do one dive (unless you limit your bottom time to 30 mins or less), but it is not far from the pier. $3 to Majahaul and $2 back. About a 5 min. ride. Some people were walking it back.

Because I dove 50 mins the first time and 60 mins the second, we had to have 1.5 hours surface interval which you go back to the dive shop and hang.

There is a resturant right there and I had a breakfast crepe that was awesome for $4.50.

Catherine loves the goldfish crackers so I told her next time I come, I will bring her a big box.

It was awesome diving!

I heartily recommend Gypsea Divers. Just dove with them last week for the second time and will be going back later this year for two weeks. If your ship doesn't change time (Legend doesn't), Costa Maya and Cozumel will be an hour earlier. It's less than 10 minutes to Gypsea Divers and there is a taxi stand right next to them. You'll be able to get two dives in. They're on Facebook so you can get hold of Catherine there. I also have her e-mail at my office.

I recommend Opal's Dream in Cozumel and Eden Rock in Grand Cayman.

I don't think it would be a problem. Gypsea Divers' shop is right on the beach and you hop in the ponga right there. It was, at the most, 15 minutes to the dive sites. Check with Catherine when you contact her and she will make sure there is no time problem.

Grand Cayman -

Based on advice from these boards we booked 2 tank guided shore dives with Sunset House and what a great time we had! The people there could not have been more helpful or nice. I am not a very experienced diver and I loved how easy the exit & entrance was. Our divemaster (Jackie from the UK) has only been with Sunset House a few weeks and she worked her rear off to ensure we had a good dive experience. Would definitely dive there again.

Cozumel -

We used Chucho Underwater and couldn't have been happier. We first met Chucho 2 years ago when we booked with Scuba with Alison. Alison overbooked and therefore handed us off to Chucho. We had such a good time that I 'tracked him down' for this trip. There are 2 Chuchos with dive websites in Cozumel, his is http://chucho-underwater.com/ .

He uses a small dive boat. After explaining to Chucho how I 'blow' through my air he worked with me on some breathing / relaxation exercises to help. I just cannot say enough about how patient and helpful he is. In between dives Chucho shared fresh fruit, banana bread and bottles of water. Very nice dive with a lot too see. If I make it back to Cozumel again, I will absolutely book with Chucho Underwater again.

Archived