A Little Daydreaming Material

Latitude 20

I had to share this reprint of Sport Diver's top 10 "eco-wonderland" dive sites (most of them in the Carribean or Central America): http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7184183/.

I was surprised at how many of them are cruise-accessible and the article gives lodging recommendations for those who would like to spend more than a single day in each location. It also lists "must dive" sites and adventureous land-based activities.

I think we've got our next few years' worth of trip ideas right here.

Kathi

What? No British Columbia? BC should definitely be on that list. I liked the diving there better than Hawaii, and the above water parts of BC are beautiful too.

I'd also pick Fiji over Tahiti, but that is just from what I have heard from other dive buddies.

I knew you'd say that ;-). Totally agree there's definitely a warm-water and western hemisphere bias to the article (the Red Sea and South Pacific other than Tahiti are completely missing also) but I posted it because so many of the destinations are cruise-accessible.

Leo and I are spoiled in that Puget Sound/Strait of Juan de Fuca/Georgia Strait are our neighborhood dives--no cruise or other trip necessary! But if anyone is interested in seeing what cold-water diving has to offer, Celebrity is now offering three, four and five-day Pacific Northwest itineraries out of Seattle that all include Campbell River, BC--the place Jacques Cousteau called the second best dive site he'd ever seen (after the Red Sea).

Kathi

But if anyone is interested in seeing what cold-water diving has to offer, Celebrity is now offering three, four and five-day Pacific Northwest itineraries out of Seattle that all include Campbell River, BC.
I didn't know that. I'll have to check that out.

Campbell River, BC--the place Jacques Cousteau called the second best dive site he'd ever seen (after the Red Sea).
I did know this. I went there in February. It was fantastic. The weather was perfect, sunny, no wind, and warm (at least for Feb. in the PNW). It was probably some of the best diving I have done, cold water or not.

Campbell River Gallery of underwater photos.

I also agree, the Red Sea should be on the list, but for a list of cruise-able dive destinations, the list was pretty accurate. I didn't see St. Maarten on the list ;)

Such great pix Bruce! Although the one you took of the seal a year or so ago is still our favorite. Winter diving is so great in the PNW. The water temp is about the same as in the summer but it's so clear!

We might try the Celebrity trip this summer on the spur of the moment if finances permit. We don't mind the dive camp/dive boat life (we spend weeks every year camping and diving in Neah Bay) but sometimes a great bottle of wine, a massage and dinner we don't have to cook go down well after a day of diving!

Kathi & Leo

Archived