How to deal with guests who don't follow rules...

dishealth11

How to deal with guests who ignore the rules  

296 members have voted

1. 1. How to deal with guests who ignore the rules

• Notify closest crew member
    • Notify ship director
    • Speak directly to guest / remind them of the rules
    • Ignore the person & try to enjoy myself
    • Leave the area
    • Other

Well not a response to the poll but if i may ask - what is so wrong with postng a question under different threads? It will definitely open the door to more responses. Also, if you were so annoyed then why would you keep responding? Anyway, I am glad you appologized to the poster-

Thank you; my sentiments exactly! Have been on CC for several years & this is the first time I've seen such rudeness to new posters..We were all new once..So what if the question has been asked before! Welcome to the Boards DisHealth11 & ask away! Some of us would be delighted to answer your questions!

I also checked off "other" ..It depends on the circumstances..Usually try to ignore the person & go about enjoying our cruise..However if the rule breaker impacts my comfort I might speak to that person in a nice way..If the person becomes belligerent, I may have to alert a crewmember to the problem..

Happy cruising everyone!

Hey, thanks serendipity1499. Those angry people won't deter me, because I know there are far more members who will eagerly answer questions. In the end, I'll be better prepared and will enjoy my trip.

Thank you; my sentiments exactly! Have been on CC for several years & this is the first time I've seen such rudeness to new posters..We were all new once..So what if the question has been asked before! Welcome to the Boards DisHealth11 & ask away! Some of us would be delighted to answer your questions!

I also checked off "other" ..It depends on the circumstances..Usually try to ignore the person & go about enjoying our cruise..However if the rule breaker impacts my comfort I might speak to that person in a nice way..If the person becomes belligerent, I may have to alert a crewmember to the problem..

Happy cruising everyone!

The tone of most of this thread is icky. Makes me uncomfortable. There's meanness and defensiveness and one-upmanship and nyah nyah nyah nyah going on. What's up widdat?

*leaves for a fun-ner thread* :confused:

The tone of most of this thread is icky. Makes me uncomfortable. There's meanness and defensiveness and one-upmanship and nyah nyah nyah nyah going on. What's up widdat?

I agree greenie. What's happening folks? Usually I enjoy reading the posts here not just for info but as a short usually relaxing escape!

Hey.. Love the poll that's here, but I can't find the "Throw them overboard" option. I think "walking the plank" would probably be in the top two choices!!

I also think people have the right to whatever lifestyle they choose, but other people have the right to express their dislike of that lifestyle. I would feel uncomfortable if I was on a family cruise walking with my 12 year old daughter, and we happened along two men kissing:eek: . But that's their right, and I have to live with it:cool: .

Sorry to disagree Greenie but most of this is in direct relation to the tone of some posters, new and old. (but mostly new, to be honest) Not too long ago I was the new kid, and asked several questions which had been asked over and over (and over...) I got short sweet to the point answers, but no meanness or nyah nyah. I think the irritation arises from the tone of some new posters.

We aren't seeing a lot of "thanks for any help you can provide" or anything other than "this is a public board and I am entitled....) Which gets to even our most congenial posters (ie Shoreguy).

I also am off to a fun-ner thread, and have used my ignore feature for the first time ever. I have often said I'm a don't sweat the small stuff kind of gal. I use these boards for fun and information, now that my next cruise is almost a year away, mostly fun:D , and I am choosing to not read what just keeps getting my dander up.

So, maybe I'll see you on my new thread about that shiny new Jewel!!!:) lml

I also think people have the right to whatever lifestyle they choose, but other people have the right to express their dislike of that lifestyle. I would feel uncomfortable if I was on a family cruise walking with my 12 year old daughter, and we happened along two men kissing:eek: . But that's their right, and I have to live with it:cool: .

totally agree. i understand people don't agree with my lifestyle and that is their right. (however they lose that right when they begin to verbally or physically abuse the other(s)) i don't believe in pdf (public displays of affection) because I think there's a place and time for that..and that goes anyone. thanks for the insight!

Tim

Sorry to disagree Greenie but most of this is in direct relation to the tone of some posters, new and old. (but mostly new, to be honest) Not too long ago I was the new kid, and asked several questions which had been asked over and over (and over...) I got short sweet to the point answers, but no meanness or nyah nyah. I think the irritation arises from the tone of some new posters.

We aren't seeing a lot of "thanks for any help you can provide" or anything other than "this is a public board and I am entitled....) Which gets to even our most congenial posters (ie Shoreguy).

I also am off to a fun-ner thread, and have used my ignore feature for the first time ever. I have often said I'm a don't sweat the small stuff kind of gal. I use these boards for fun and information, now that my next cruise is almost a year away, mostly fun:D , and I am choosing to not read what just keeps getting my dander up.

So, maybe I'll see you on my new thread about that shiny new Jewel!!!:) lml

Very well said, LML, and I agree with your insight. :)

Well, darnit, since throw them overboard and walk the plank have already been taken, I vote for keel hauling and flogging.

More seriously, when I took the 15 day cruise on the Ecstasy from Long Beach to Miami, I kept kidding the security people (who were very much in evidence, particularly in the pool area and also very much bored) about how their vacation was gonna end when Spring Break came. On that cruise, there were no drunken fistfights etc. In fact, I don't even remember much deck chair hogging, although some people did get up on deck at 11PM to get a good space to watch the canal transit which began about nine hours later.

Quite apparently, and this should have been obvious to me before I even began this series of cruises, the demographics of the ships passengers has a huge huge effect on the overall ambiance of the ship. The ships officers and other workers have a difficult enough job as it is, without constantly having to repimand passengers who flagrantly ignore the sensibilities of others in their (often drunken) pursuit of their own self indulgent pleasures.

On the Majesty a man attempted to board the elevator that I was on with a lit cigarette. I politely asked him to extinguish the cigarette while we were in the elevator. He gave me a pained look and told me that he was on vacation and it was his right to smoke. I told him that it was indeed his right to smoke in his cabin, on the decks and pretty much anywhere on the ship except the dining room and the elevator.

I pointed to the no smoking in the elevator sign and again asked the gentleman to please be considerate and that I was not making a value judgement on his choice to smoke, but that I only wished not to share his smoke in an enclosed space like an elevator. He finally put the cigarette out and I said thank you.

I ignore the chair hogs and hordes of kids who monopolize the adults jacuzzi:)

I am a smoker and I would never think of walking down the hall with a cigarette much less getting on the elevator with one.. I never understand why some act the way they do.. But then I would never let my kids sit by the ice carving with chunks of ice flying everywhere, as I witnessed on my first cruise. The CD asked them many times to move and they just ignored him.. They were dashing in and grabbing chunks of ice and throwing them in the pool.. I guess they had parents, never saw them..

i know everyone does not agree with the lifestyle and that's fine. I don't let it get to me. I realize there will be those on the ship that will give me and my bf the weird looks

Other people's lifestyles, life choices, or the way they handle their own situations don't affect me much. Trveling with gay couples doensn't get my knickers in a knot......

But that Red Sox fanhing- good lord, man!

:p

Hey.. Love the poll that's here, but I can't find the "Throw them overboard" option. I think "walking the plank" would probably be in the top two choices!!

This was my first thought! But...in all honesty I feel the circumstance would elicite my response. If it's a fashion rule I can overlook it but if someone were possibly causing harm to themselves or someone else then I would feel something should be done...

I will generally ignore the person and try to enjoy myself regardless. On one occasion I felt the need to change my approach.

On a 10-day Mexican Riviera cruise on the Sun Princess, we were seated on the back of the ship enjoying the sun and wonderful salt air. An obviously intoxicated guest was below us in the whirlpool with friends talking so loudly and coarsely that it could be heard by everyone up on deck, including many children. The language and topics were so offensive that I finely got up and asked him to be considerate of the others around him and watch his language.

I was surprised that he immediately apologized and corrected his behavior. Maybe he wasn't as drunk as I thought.

it and go on enjoying my vacation. But if it was something creating an unsafe condition for a passenger or passengers, I would tell a crew member. It would probably have to be something along those lines before I'd bother anyone about it though. :o

Archived