Island tour -can it be booked on arrival ?

Pendennis

My sister and I were able to book an island tour at the pier with a taxi driver named Iron last May. The cost was $25, and it took us all around the island. However, we had to wait about 30 minutes so that he could get enough people to fill his van because most people wanted to go to beach or directly to Christensted.

There was no formal booking process...just a guy holding up a sign and yelling out to people passing by. It was a very good tour.

We were in St Croix on Dec 29 2011. This is the most unpleasant experiences I got in all Caribbean islands.

At the end of the pier, there's a taxi desk / booth where you can "negociate" / inform on tours / places you want to go. the fees is around 25$/pax.

Comparing St Croix to other islands, I have the feeling people who works there don't care about you.

We dealed with the lady @ the booth and did agree on having an island tour and going to the beach. When we got into the van, the driver was surprise and wanted to charge us an extra 18$/pax to go to the beach.

As we are a big group (2 vans), we stopped immediately and wanted to clarify out that point before going further. What end up is 1 taxe driver is aware of our deal, and the other not.

After visiting Christensted, they dropped us @ Cane bay and when we asked them to come back @ 3:30PM to pick us up, one of the taxi driver didn't want 'coz he didn't want to do overtime :confused::confused:

The other one is more accomodating and @ the end, they came back on time to pick us up.

We really got a bad experiences with that taxi driver! It's really annoying to tour with him. I hope this is the exception!

Archived