40 pounds in 4 months

Shoutr, thank you for sharing your pics with us. Good job! You look like you are at goal! How is maintenance compared to weight loss?

I appreciate that. Actually I'm still shooting for 190 by end of Feb. I still want to be able to take my shirt off without..."blaaaaahhhhhhh"! Hit 199 today, haven't had a number that started with a "1" for about 9 years.

I keep hitting these "clicks", you know when all of a sudden things just start working. I hit another one where 1400-1500 calories a day is pretty easy to do, so I'm going to hang in there another month.

Cruisin May 2012: Glad to hear from you, in my book, fractions don't count so you're even this week! Are you able to make this "fun"? I mean are you pumped and positive and confident this will work? I know we all know you can, so when you think of anything regarding weight, calories, gym, etc. - remember your cheering section here is pulling hard for you every day!

Maybe it is work to do what you are doing - but that reward in May will be SOOOOOOOO WORTH IT!!!

HANG TOUGH!

Yes, I am very excited and motivated. I like that I have different exercise routines all the time, and awesome workout partners. Tomorrow I am joining a trampoline boot camp class and I am excited for that. I know everyone says my goal is too high, but really it's only two pounds a week... which I am already behind on! But, I am gonna do this!

I am so glad that I found this thread...:) I have over 100 lbs to lose to be healthy, but I am taking baby steps this time. In the past, I have lost it but then gained it right back. This time I am eating healthy and working out at the gym. I have mini goals, I wanted to lose 10 lbs my first month...check. My next goal is to get under 299 lbs by May 15 (sailing to Alaska..:)). Right now I have to lose another 21 lbs to get to my second goal and I know that I can do it. I am eating around 1500 cal a day, but a lot of that is protein (meats and protein shakes). I do weights 3 times a week and i ride a bike at the gym five days a week.

Reading your stories have kept me motivated and I just wanted to say thank you!!

I am so glad that I found this thread...:) I have over 100 lbs to lose to be healthy, but I am taking baby steps this time. In the past, I have lost it but then gained it right back. This time I am eating healthy and working out at the gym. I have mini goals, I wanted to lose 10 lbs my first month...check. My next goal is to get under 299 lbs by May 15 (sailing to Alaska..:)). Right now I have to lose another 21 lbs to get to my second goal and I know that I can do it. I am eating around 1500 cal a day, but a lot of that is protein (meats and protein shakes). I do weights 3 times a week and i ride a bike at the gym five days a week.

Reading your stories have kept me motivated and I just wanted to say thank you!!

Awesome - great to here from another motivated winner! I know some folks poo-poo the shakes, but that really helped me a lot when I was getting things going. They are still a kind of treat to get my chocolate fix and for prepping for a heavy workout.

Thanks for writing, it helps me too to know others are in the same boat, so to speak, as me (us).

Well I have my weigh in on Friday and I weighed today and I am down 1.8, that means at least I should lose this week so I am excited. I am staying super motivated. Now I need some advice... it's a family tradition that we go out to dinner (Mexican) for everyone's birthday and my son turns 5 today, so we are going to Saturday, are there any options that are "healthier" than the others? Does anyone know?

For me:

First choice: I'd be doing a chicken taco salad, no cheese, dressing on the side (light if avail), and don't touch the shell. If you eat the refried beans, figure 100-150 calories for half a cup - worth it in my opinion. Figure 30 calories for the lettuce, 150 for the chicken, 40 more for other veggies, 120 for 1/2 an avocado (but man, 11g fat in 1/2 cup - glad I don't like those)

220 calories salad + 120 for avocado + 150 beans = 500 or so. Not bad, but I'd still ditch the avocado...

Second choice: Fajitas with no tortillas - just chicken and the veggies. Ask them to cook them as dry as possible (no or just a touch of oil only). Mix in the lettuce, tomatos, etc. Oh, that sounds good!!!

Happy birthday to your boy, and congrats on keeping traditions intact and living life!

Chicken salad sounds good, maybe I will bring my own dressing. I also do not like avocado so we are good there. I can't believe he is 5 already! Kids grow up so fast. Before them, I didn't have weight to lose :D... lol. I was working out with my cousin and our trainer gives me heavier weights and she likes to blame it on the fact that I have to lug around kids. However, I am still going to drink some adult beverages this weekend!:p

I started a similar mission in October. I'll be 50 at the end of March. My goal was to lose 40 by 50 but 'secretly in my heart of hearts' I wanted to lose 50 by 50. I bought a fit bit (calculates steps, hills, & miles) got the Lose It app on my iPhone and synced those two together. I was averaging about 1200 calories a day. By Christmas I was down about 16 or 17 pounds. (Like it's been mentioned some days I weighed 'lighter' than others.) I've kept up with my walking program and added some hand weights this week (need to tone up my arms before I put on those cocktail dresses on our July Alaskan cruise.) However, throughout the holidays I had a few more 'pig out days' then I should have and basically put on about 3 to 5 pounds back on. Now I can't get the scale to budge. :cool: Grrrrr... At this point I've reevaluated my goal and would like to hit 30 by my birthday and 40 to 50 by the time we cruise.

I enjoy reading everyone's input and hearing their 'story'. I think I'm going to pick up some V-8 Juice. I used to really like it and if I remember correctly it can be very filling! Another thing that helped me when I was successfully losing weekly was to eat as lightly as possible for breakfast & lunch (lots of Progresso Soup!) which helped me save the majority of my calories for dinner with my Mr.

DW got me a punching bag for Christmas - man I'm digging it! I beat on that once a day before my last meal for 10-15 minutes and it gets your heart going. I think that has helped my arms lose some of that hanging stuff.

Started shooting hoops today too. Good thing about sucking at basketball - you run a lot chasing down bricked shots! Also good aerobic toning type exercise for upper body.

It's not P90X type stuff, but constantly mixing it up is definitely helping me stay on track.

I googled trampoline boot class - that looks pretty cool. Wish I had the balance to give it a shot. How was it?

I really liked the trampoline boot camp class, it was a nice change. But I will tell you that I was sore when I went in and am more sore now! Monday we worked core and arms, and Tuesday we did legs, so my whole body was sore. My calves are sore from the trampoline now and everything else is extra sore (the good, I feel like I am doing something sore). Besides this, I am doing an hour of cardio every day on my own. I am feeling good but it's a lot of work to work out twice a day! I am going to continue what I have been doing this week, seems to be working. Not sure if I will hit my 40 pounds but I should be close! After tomorrow I have 15 weeks to lose my remaining weight and unfortunately, unless there is a miracle by tomorrow, it will be hard. My goal is 2 pounds a week and I have more than 30 pounds left. (as of today, I have 33 pounds left, but I am not counting it yet because my official weigh in is tomorrow)... oh yeah, I will stay away from the margarita's but I will have, I would like to say a couple but know it will be more, bud lights. But hey, at least it's light :D. When my family gets together, we drink, some things just can't be avoided!

I would like to say a couple but know it will be more, bud lights. But hey, at least it's light :D. When my family gets together, we drink, some things just can't be avoided!

Only 110 per bottle, way better than the margaritas!!!

If a Color Run is scheduled for your area, I highly recommend it.

If you're bored...(Click to go to full screen, it seems to be less choppy that way)

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/kingshootr/?action=view&current=ColorRun2012.mp4

So, OP, how'd your weekend go? I treated myself to a double cheeseburger and fries afterwards - a beer would have been SOOOOO good, but none in the house and I was too tired to make a run. And I don't feel guilty a bit - gotta live a little sometimes, right?

That color run looks like it would be so fun to do....someday I will have to look that up..:)

Well last week I lost 3 lbs...so I am down 10lbs for the month of January (right on target to hit my next goal).

Today I brought me a new pair of jeans that I am going to work to get into..:) A year or so ago I lost 50 lbs but I never bought me any new jeans to wear...so this time as soon as I can fit in the next size down then I am going to donate them....that way I can't eat myself into them again and if I do then I will have to go and buy new.

I hope everyone is doing great

BTW - I did do a goal of mine that I had for this month...I rode 10.7 miles on the bike today at the gym!! My next goal is to ride 20 miles by May 13th....two days before we sail..:)

I have started eating healthier since I booked my cruise. My goal is to lose 25 pounds before we leave in December 2012. So far since the beginning of January when we booked, I have lost 5 pounds and tomorrow is weigh in day for me, I will only weigh myself once a week. We to go out to celebrate family birthdays and I just found out this morning we are going out for Mexican Thursday for my niece. I am so thankful for the post on what to order, I love light beer except at the Mexican resturant but I will be stong and drink light beer instead of my favorite Mexican beer. Thanks for all the different views makes for some good reading and views. Keep up the good work everyone. :) I am planning to!!!!!!!!!! :)

Well I didn't do to bad at the Mexican restaurant, I have the chicken taco salad, with whole beans, no avocado, and I brought my own dressing. I weighed on Sunday morning and was up .6.... However, yesterday I drank perhaps a lot of beer, with green olive juice in them :D... and now I am retaining a lot of water AND I had pizza... so I have a lot of work to do this week!

There isn't a color run in my area, but that looks awesome!

OK, I'm 47 as of today, and I swear I've never heard of the green olive juice and beer!!! From the numbers, you're looking good. Have a great week and enjoy your successes.

I'm up 3lbs today from Friday - just water and residual digestion. Besides cake and ice cream and the cheeseburger/fries/soda for the birthday celebration, I'm still tracking OK.

Did the 5K Saturday, and today...

santan04.jpg

Did another 3 miles - steep as hell but the weather was perfect!

She's who I'm doing it for (besides myself)...

santan05.jpg

santan07.jpg

I know the olive juice and beer is weird. If you like them both, you should try it. But apparently I went over board because too much salt is killing me right now I can't even bend my legs, fingers, or toes! I am drinking a lot of water to try and fix it but no luck yet!

I've had "red beer", like a little table salt in 'em once in a while, but how much olive juice do you use, a splash or an oz.? Not much into olives, but beer - that's another story!

Maybe somebody knows this for sure or not - but I'll be drinking my water all day, everyday, then have a diet soda as a pick me up for lunch every once in a while - and man, that water starts coming back out like crazy. Is soda a true diuretic or is it my imagination?

I've had "red beer", like a little table salt in 'em once in a while, but how much olive juice do you use, a splash or an oz.? Not much into olives, but beer - that's another story!

Maybe somebody knows this for sure or not - but I'll be drinking my water all day, everyday, then have a diet soda as a pick me up for lunch every once in a while - and man, that water starts coming back out like crazy. Is soda a true diuretic or is it my imagination?

It depends on how much you like it... I do, so I use more, which is where I ran into my sodium/water retention problem. I would start with a splash though and add more if you need. It's pretty strong.

I took your word for it, and drank a diet soda last night, not sure if it is coincidental but I am FINALLY starting to let go of some water, my legs are still swollen but much better than yesterday. I am up 3 pounds and I am hoping I still have a lot of water! I do know I am losing inches though, because I can fit into some smaller sizes!

Shootr wrote: <Hebrew National low fat hotdogs. Sounds crazy, but they are 40 calories each; wapped in a slice of wheat bread instead of a bun and you're at a whopping 90 calories total. A little mustard and you can have two for lunch or three for dinner and feel like your eating normally (because you ARE!!!)>

Thanks Shootr! I am a hot dog lover, so I was anxious to try these. I grilled up a couple on my George Foreman and they were DELICIOUS! I will never buy another Oscar Meyer 'fat free' weinie again! :D

Archived