Anchorage or not?

billmelbourne

As a forty year resident of Anchorage, my feelings are hurt (only kidding) :) Most tourists on cruise tours usually spend less than a day in Anchorage of which their time is spent walking around the downtown area looking for something to do.

Granted Anchorage is no cosmopolitan gem but we are the largest city in the state and, as another poster said, the gateway to the rest of Alaska. There's plenty to do here if you take the time to seek it out - I always recommend the Anchorage Museum, the Public Lands Information Center, the Alaska Native Heritage Center, a drive to Palmer and the Independence Mine, a trip down Turnagain Arm to the Begich-Boggs Visitor Center, a day boat trip from Whittier, a day or (even better) overnight trip to Seward and a boat into Kenai Fjords National Park, a hike in the Chugach State Park, and much more. We even have some great restaurants that serve fresh Alaska wild salmon and not that farmed stuff.

Alaskans are justifiably proud to live here and are often caught bragging about it. It's just our nature I guess.

For more on Anchorage and the surrounding area, go to www.anchorage.net It's really worth doing some homework before you visit our state.

Thank you! We end our cruise in Anchorage and are staying an extra day - any recommendations for centrally-located hotels, or restaurants that serve fresh salmon? We all LOVE salmon! :)

Archived