diving in the Cayman's & Cozumel

cruzinisgood

We are looking to dive in Cozumel and the Grand Caymen's in May. I'm reading a lot about who to dive with but we want to know where the best dives are.

What dives we should do?

Any suggestions. My husband and I are experienced divers so any dive should work.

We just returned from Grand Cayman last week. My advice would be to contact "Off the Wall Divers". Owner Tom Shropshire has lived there for better part of 30 years and knows every dive site intimately. Can tell him what you are looking for and he'll be sure to take you to the two best sites that fit your needs. Much easier than trying to determine it from land on your own!

Another positive: I did alot of web searches and spoke to 5 dive shops and OTWD was the only one that was sympathetic to the usual cruiser problem of not being able to dive morning (tenders too late) or dive afternoon (ship leaves too soon). The other shops said "sorry, hope to see you when you can stay longer", but Tom at OTWD made special efforts to accommodate our ship's schedule.

I have done week long dive trips each of the past three years to Cozumel. The good news is it's all good! The bad news ia that despite your experience no reputable dive op will take you to the Devils Throat without having dove with you several times to observe your skill set. the dive starts out entering an enclosed cave at 100 feet and then diving inside the reef unti exiting at around 125 feet. It is a cool dive but far from favorite dive in coz. As a cruise ship diver only there for the day I would ask for any of the palancar dives with my favorite being horseshoe, bricks and gardens. Also a nice long second dive with lots of critters is colmbia shallows. Also punt a tunich can have lots of current but I have seen an array of critters on that dive. MN just typeing about it makes me want to go right now!

Thunder

For Grand Cayman, Eden Rock does both shore and boat dives. Depending on how long you are in port, 2 boat and a shore dive can be dome with enough time for a snack and a drink, or two... but bring your wallet, it's pricey to eat. Cozumel is just good in our opinion. Never really had a bad dive. There are several walls, Santa Rosa being very popular. I have done several dives there, all of them drift dives. I've tried 3 different operations, none of them were bad and the prices were all in the same ballpark. Have fun. Mike

Thanks for all the options. I know we were looking at doing the Wall dive as those seem to have a lot to look at.

Because of our time in Grand Caymen we were thinking the shore dive and there is a shop not to far from the port but will definitely look into Off the Wall Divers.

Archived