1st time cruiser with young family and a little nervous!

Hi Everyone,

we are going on the freedom of the seas march 4th 2012 and we have a 5yr old duaghter Iam a little nervous about the railings onboard???Any advice when travelling with small children other than of course watching them like a hawk I guess???

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

we are going on the freedom of the seas march 4th 2012 and we have a 5yr old duaghter Iam a little nervous about the railings onboard???Any advice when travelling with small children other than of course watching them like a hawk I guess???

Thanks

The railings are quite high. She'd really need to work hard at climbing to get over them. And unless she's completely unsupervised for an extended period this would not happen. I would also like to hope that humanity is not so far gone that another passenger would just stand by and watch a child climb over the ledge!

Bless you! I so understand the heart of a Mommy! I took my 11 yr old son on the FOS in August. I think your child will be fine. In saying that, I dont doubt that you will be mindful of her at all times but dont let fear rob you of your joy of this trip. My son LOVED the kids club on FOS! Your little girl will have a blast and beg to go back. So while she is there, you can have a break. There are open spots on every level that are open to the Promenade. There were no problems that I knew of with all the kids on board in August and there were tons! The kids water park is a blast too. The first day, take your suits on board or wear them under your clothes. Eat in the WJ then get a lounge right outside the WJ by the kids water park area and let your little one play. There is a deep pool on the back side of the water park, so watch her there. It is fun because the wall has a waterfall and you can get right under it. There will be so much for your little girl, like the parades. They are late though-go figure? The character breakfast and you will see the characters in the promenade too. Have fun and please dont worry. Your daughter will be fine, just take care of Mommy not worring!

Being a Mom and over protective, I can relate to the concern! But, the railings are high, she would have to be unsupervised and climb up on a chair (?) and even then a 5yo would probably have to pull themselves higher. I have also never heard of any instances like this. Go. Enjoy your children and enjoy your cruise!

Thank you so much for all of your info we will definately wear bathing suits underneath great suggestion!I really appreciate all your info.We are really looking forward to it we have always done the all inclusive resort so this should be quite different.Thanks again.

I have taken my children on various cruises starting at with my youngest being 10 mos, and my oldest was only 5, he's now 11. I can totally relate, but as others said unless you really left them unsupervised for an extended period of time it would be highly unlikely for this to happen. Even standing on a chair (actually I think I have a picture of my 4 year old standing on my balcony chair looking over the railing - WE WERE DOCKED AND NOT MOVING), so you could see he even had to strain to see over the top at that point. He would have had to climb to scale the balcony railing even with the boost of a chair. I'll go grab the portable hard drive and post the picture for you :)

I'm sure you guys will have a great time and it will be great! I can relate to being nervous though!

No problem! I couldn't find the picture I was looking for (:( Maybe I just imagined him on a chair! haha) but I did find one of him standing on the ground waving in front of the balcony so you can see the height at least. He is probably two feet closer to me as well, so he's even shorter had he been standing right at the balcony. The other two children are my 10 year old and my 7 year old - so you can see the height compared to those two as well. Hope I helped some! :)

DSC00153-1-1.jpg

We've brought our 5 and 6 year old for two 7-night cruises over the past year. We were initially a little nervous but clear instructions that one should not climb on the balcony furniture worked for us. I guess it's the same thing as asking our kids not to stay clear of windows in highrise apartments! We were slightly more concerned with the kids playing on the balcony and then crashing through the plexiglass or something! Don't let the fear mar the vacation, and lock the balcony door if need be.

I've traveled with my 2 granddaughters, now 4 and 5, on several cruises. We've had balconies on each cruise and never had any problems. Be sure to check out Adventure Ocean. They will have an open house on Day 1. It's a wonderful program. The kids love it and the adults can have a little time to themselves.

Thanks for the info it looks like you have lots of experience you have been on alot of cruises!!!Thank you.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to our next family cruise in March on the Mariner. Another thing not to be missed is the Character Breakfast, as previously mentioned. These fill up very fast but is worth the effort. Also, there are 3 nights when the kids in Adventure Ocean can go with the AO staff to Johnny Rockets (no charge) for dinner. They are usually formal nights so you can have a more relaxed dinner. On our last cruise we took the girls to the first formal night so they could get all dressed up and then let them go to Johnny Rockets the other formal night. We all had a great time.

You really will be just fine.

Agree. And I assume there is some standard of safety when these ships are built. And even if there is not a regulation for railing height....again, no worries. We just had our 5 year old on an Oasis balcony. She was more interested in the TV then the balcony anyway.

Lots have waded in and I would echo their views. I myself am scared of heights so not keen on being at the edge of a balcony. I have a now 6 year old who was 2 on his first cruise, and a serious and determined climber to boot. I was frightened to death and not even sure if we should go but my wife was keen.

My father in law on that cruise had a balcony and I could not even go near it for fear of my dear son climbing up - but it is really high and would need to have a big chair pulled over to the edge. He tried the first time he went and was quite upset that his mother and grandfather would not let him climb on the chair and lean over the edge to see better.

The balcony room locks are also really high up so impossible to unlock and open without adult help. Even with my fear of heights I do not worry about him climbing up or falling over. He is older now and knows better but you can relax - I have never heard a single report of a kid falling over the side ( knock on wood). Enjoy and check out Adventure Ocean, the kids love it.

Bob

I feel ur fears. Took our 3 kids on their first cruise this past October. It was myself, DH, daughter 7 and twin boys who were almost 4. I may sound like an awful parent but before going we were always reminding them if they climbed on the railings and fell in the water it would kill them:eek:. However, I am also of the parental mind I don't lie to them about getting shots at the Dr. either, my theory is to be honest so they trust us later when it is really important. This is what we did on the ship to make us feel safe ;), when 1 adult was in the bathroom the other adult was always in the cabin (we had a balcony). If we were on the balcony even if the adult went in the cabin to get something ALL kids had to come in also. Neither adult EVER moved their balcony chair away from the cabin wall (closer to railings) so MAYBE the kids wouldn't get the idea to do their either (monkey see monkey do). As for public areas, we always made them stay to the inside of us when walking from point A to point B (like on a sidewalk the adult walks next to the street). After the novelty wore off the kids of seeing the ocean from public areas, they seemed to venture farther from the railings on their own. It really isn't going to be as bad as you think, just keep an eye on them as you do in any public area and all will be fine.

I was thinking about OP and this post this morning as I was getting ready for church. Some more thoughts on the ship

On deck 11, where the pool is, there is extra plexi-glass over the railing. It goes up over a little ones head.

On deck 12 is railing all around. You do not need to take you little one out there at all. You and your husband can walk it while your daughter is in AO.

On deck 4, you actually have to go out doors to go out to the railings.

The putt putt is on deck 12 and the flow rider, climbing wall, but if you do those activities, I am sure she will be fine.

The ship is not just a bunch of open railings.

The main deck is 11 and it has extra plexi-glass

I hope this helps

Archived