NCL Sun - Whales in September?

Knight42

Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone knows if there are whales in September up in Alaska. I read they start migrating at the end of August but I wanted some assurance that we might see them in September as my wife is highly motivated to take this cruise as long as we have a chance of seeing them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Knight42

We cruised to AK from Seattle in Sept 2003 and saw whales. They were much more abundant on the June 2004 cruise - but we did see them in September. Both in AK and in BC.

Hikini:D

I too cruised in September last year. We went on a whale excursion in Juneau and saw Humpback Whales and Orcas. Once we knew what to look for, we saw them throughout the cruise and porpoises too. The Captain announces it and then you can usually see the hoards of people by the windows.

I would definitely do an excursion at one of the ports, where you can get up closer!

I sailed X in late August/Sept. 2001. (Came into Newark on 9/9/2001 - right past the World Trade Center. What a memory that is for me. I remember thinking how many people must be in there on a single day - 2 days later...)

As for the wildlife... we had difficulty spotting any. It was kind of foggy. I do suggest doing some excursions that may enhance your chance to see some. The train ride in Ketchecan??? was very long and not really worth it. It was really boring. We did do a small plane ride over some glaciers - fun experience. My 93 year old mother in law did it with us and loved it. She's a sparkplug!

is also at the end of the season and they should have some good bargains on clothing. I got a jacket on board for $24.99 and I still wear it all the time! Do hope you have a great time... bring good binoculars and dress warm. It

Archived