Worried might need a scooter

tigercat

My TA talked to Princess and we looked at our cabin. The only place we would be able to get the scooter into the cabin is at the bottom of the bed. There is no way the furniture can be moved in order to make more room for the scooter. The cruise is also sold out (both cruises) so we can't be moved. My leg is coming along as they have now found an anti inflamatory (topically) that I can use and it also has pain medicine in it as well. Physio is helping. I will have to take it a lot more easier than I had planned but I think I will be okay. I think for my next cruise though I think I will look at planning for a scooter. We have ordered a wheelchair for me and it will be in our cabin when we get there. That way at night if I am just not up to any walking my dh can get some exercise and push me. LOL. They think that I have torn some cartiledge(sp) in my knee and that is the problem. They hop that it will heal itself and I will just take it easy. Actually the cruise will cause me to slow down and heal more than if I am at home so that is good. I look after 2 of my grandchildren (1 1/2 and 3) while my daughter and son in law work. So sitting on my balcony ordering room service will be a piece of cake. I will take all your comments in for my next cruise and thanks for all your help.

tigercat

I agree with your decision. I think your cruise will be much less stressful without having to worry about a scooter. Air travel, inexperience, fitting it in the room and accessibility are things you have to think about with a scooter. Have a great cruise.

Suggust you check out RCCL and give it a try. You might like ! Oh another good point about RCCL is that there is chiar lift into 1 pool and 1 hot tub per ship fleet wide. Most of the other cruise lines can't make that claim. Another reason our group uses RCCL. By the way I used to be a real HAL and Princess diehard when it came to cruising but my disability has changed all that.

Have a good week. Maybe I'll see you sometime on RCCL.

Is this a public group you travel with? I also have MS. It's getting worse lately and I'd love more info on this. Thanks.

Is this a public group you travel with? I also have MS. It's getting worse lately and I'd love more info on this. Thanks.

We always welcome new comers to our group. We are from all over the USA. Been traveling with them for 4 plus years now. Unforunately I can not give you the name of the travel agency that works with us but if you google the name of our group you'll be able to find the info. The woman who organizes our cruises has a lot of experience working with people with MS. Her best friend has it .

I really enjoy these cruises as she organizes programs for the sea days . Last November we were on the Allure of the Seas and she had several Physical Therapists that did interactive group seminars. The information is very informative. Not to mention that it's great to travel with people who understand what we each are going through. Also it's nice for other family members as they don't have to feel bad or worry if they choose to get off the ship and their loved one with MS has chosen to stay on board. We all look out for each other. You can join take part in group activities or go off on your own. I have come to make several good friends as result . The group is going to Alaska in August 2012 but I have chosen to skip this year , Though I love Alaska I found a good deal for an April Bermuda Cruise and have chosen to go solo. I'm anxiously awaiting to hear what the 2013 cruise will be.

Oh and am sorry the your MS is worsening. Mine two has progressed but I refuse to let it define who I am as a person. I also refuse to give up traveling . Just it's takes a little more planning and organization on my part but travel is a big part of who I am. MS is my world stands for "Moving Slow" .

I came to the Disabled Cruise Traveler section in hopes of finding some helpful tips on making my next cruise as worry free as possible since I am now completely dependent on mobility aids. These discussion threads have been both helpful, and frustrating.

My walker wouldn't fit through a standard size cabin door without folding it, how the heck can I believe a scooter will? And since some cabins have small, very narrow paths housing the bathroom and the closets befor you get to the open bed area, the walker had to remain folded to pass this section. Thus leaving me even more concerned about a scooter.

Out of the 3 brands of scooters I've used over the years, non of which stop on a dime, I am even more concerned with the 'hostile types' whom walk with their eyes closed and then blame the disabled person for a bumb. Would they drive their personal cars with their eyes closed and then blame the person in the car they hit for the incident? Or blame a pedestrian if they hit one with their eyes closed. Probably LOL And for such I have very little patience. Hence a sticker on the front of my current scooter which reads "Well, aren't we just a ray of elfing sunshine!"

tigercat, I hope you had/have a wonderful time on your cruise and recover soon...

But seriously, this thread, this section, the comments on the main forums insulting scooter users etc etc... It's all making me think twice about ever cruising again. Or perhaps I'm just hungry and hence moody.

I guess I was hoping the fact that I 'must' take a scooter or powerchair with me on my next cruise wasn't going to affect the level of my over-all vacationing enjoyment. But in reality it is. No more escaping the real world to heaven on the high seas. The real world is just going to follow me onboard. The good, the bad and the-oh-so-very-rude. And despite my current level of frustration over the mobility issues....

Thank you for this discussion thread.

Reading all the replies to tigercat's delimma has helped me to better understand what I can expect during my next cruise. And, with this knowledge, maybe it won't be quite as bad as it currently feels. Guess all I can do at this point is, keep fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Happy Sailings to All

Batty Batzo

Xxoocruiser, thanks for the info. Perhaps we'll cruise together someday.

Batzo, I really think you should give it a try. The first trip I used a scooter for was to WDW and I was really worried. People on Disney related message boards are much worse about this topic than here. The key is that you will have to take your time. Park your scooter on an outside deck and enjoy the sea, don't try to rush out of the theater but relax as others hurry off to do whatever. Book early and get a handicapped room.

Or hey, go to Disney World. The parks are so handicapped friendly it's a dream come true!

Batzo -

You really shouldn't give up on cruising. My DH was pretty confined to his for the last 2 cruises (with some limited walking in the cabin only) and, with a bit of patience (of which he has a very short supply ;) and, to be perfectly honest, I have even less :D) it worked out really better than we could have expected.

True, there were ignorant people on board who passed comments, bumped into *him* and were rude - but, that can happen any place you go on land as well.

Now he's on oxygen (but can walk with a rollator - will still need a scooter for long distances) and you should see how stupid people can be!

Sometimes, it's not easy, but it's definitely worth it!

Happy Cruising!

Thanks momof3cruisers and Frick_&_Frack.

Disney World is great, and I try and go once a year, but cruising is/has been my greatest love since I was a mere knee high to a grasshopper. As a kid I'de sneak into a travel agency in the mall and wisk away with a Carnival brochure and spend hours imagining myself aboard the CCL Mardi Gras. (oops, accidental self-dating there lol) :D

Since my last cruise in April of 2011, I've cancelled both my booked cruises scheduled for this blizzardry season of snow and ice due to the anxiety over this situation. But my love for cruising is getting the better of me. I'm starting to suffering from severe sailing withdrawls.

Thank you for the encouragement. And sorry for sidelining the thread a bit.

Happy Sailings to All

Batty

Batty – It troubles me that you have allowed the possibility of some possible rude people to prevent you from cruising. If you look at the picture from the other side, I am positive that you will find there are mostly wonderful people out there. Everyplace we have traveled, we met people that were concerned and/or ready and willing to help us. Whether it be a bump in the road, getting on and off the curb, up or down the stairs or just going the right direction; people took the time to stop and assist us. Also, language barrier was not a problem, we seemed to understand enough to resolve the problem, smile and even laugh. Helping others is a universal language.

It does not matter if you are AB or HC, there may always be that rude so-and-so that will jump in the elevator before your or maintain that a whole area is his domain and tromp over everybody. If you meet someone like that, just excuse yourself (ignore) and be on your way.

Take a cruise, enjoy yourself and you will find that on an overall basis, people are wonderful.

Betty

th_bigbiker.gif

Betty, I agree with you most people are nice , just unaware and not paying attention.

A smile and a good sense of humor go a long way...

Also, I get on the elevator which ever way its going and there is room...what goes up will go down.

People always wonder why I use a scooter on the ship becase they cannot always see my prosthesis, I do get strange comments sometimes, I think of it as a teaching moment.

It would never stop me from cruising.

Arlene

You folks are right. Why did I let it stop me I have no idea. I deal with my mobility issues every day. Sooo.... I've been spending the day looking into my next cruise :D

Thanks again heart.gif

Batty Batzo

Archived