1st time snorkeling in Belize

RJN

We will be in Belize in June on our first cruise and would like to try snorkeling. My husband, our 13 year old son and I have never snorkeled. Anyone have any suggestions. Not sure our son would be interested in Shark Ray Alley for the first time.

Thanks!

If you're seriously thinking of snorkeling, I would try to get a hold of some equipment before your trip and practice. Trying it for the first time out in the ocean, where its a bit too deep to stand and there can be a bit of a current (like Shark Ray Alley) probably isn't that good of an idea. It might scare your son off it forever. You would feel much more comfortable if you can rent some equipment on the ship and then practice in the pool before you hit Belize (or if you go to another port first where you can try it from the shore). It can be a bit freaky for some taking those first breaths through a plastic tube. But definitely try it - its absolutely awesome. :)

RJN,

If your son is a strong swimmer he may surprise you. Our son pulled on mask, snorkel and flippers and jumped in the first time at 10 and is still going 8 years later! But he was already a strong swimmer. You can get a good idea of what Shark Ray Alley is like on our pix from last year at http://www.boilermaker.smugmug.com. My sons thought that grabbing a ride from a shark was great fun!

Have a great time in Belize.

Joy

Archived