MDR inconsistancy & dress

TKDgirl2456

While I often see attire in the MDR that I personally would not wear, I don't let it affect my dining pleasure. What each individual chooses to wear is their problem, not mine. We were on the Magic a few weeks ago, and we thought the food overall was excellent but service was "iffy". Sometimes, service was great, and sometimes barely there. Did we let that ruin our cruise? No. Can't wait to be back on the Magic in April. Maybe we'll have awesome wait staff on that cruise......who will remember that I like sliced lemon with my water... :D

Tell me where you find that price?

Carnival's website - Nov. 26/12 Imagination 4-day @ $179 = $44.75/day

The $60/day is what we have paid for a 7-day on the Triumph - granted that was a few years ago

Keith

Summary of my thoughts:

1. See-through blouse with blue bra visible? fine with me, especially if she's hot.

2. Pajamas and bare feet at breakfast in the MDR? I think the pajamas probably reflect a tradition enjoyed by the majority of passengers when they're at home. And who doesn't like to bring some home traditions with them when they're away for Christmas? I think it would be cute and would give them the thumbs-up. I think the bare feet was an unfortunate exercise of judgement, but assuming they're not eating with their feet, I'm not sure why anyone would worry about "imagining what those feet picked up along the way". It would be the same things your shoes usually pick up.

3. Does quality of food and service decline on a case-by-case basis in correlation with the attire of the passengers? No, that's ridiculous. I don't know how much MDR staff worry about tips, but I'm sure they worry about losing their job. If anyone noticed they were systematically providing substandard service (consciously or subconsciously) to passengers based on the passengers' attire, the staff would be fired. And, as someone has already pointed out, the cooks preparing the food have no idea what the passengers who ordered it are wearing.

Summary of my thoughts:

1. See-through blouse with blue bra visible? fine with me, especially if she's hot.

2. Pajamas and bare feet at breakfast in the MDR? I think the pajamas probably reflect a tradition enjoyed by the majority of passengers when they're at home. And who doesn't like to bring some home traditions with them when they're away for Christmas? I think it would be cute and would give them the thumbs-up. I think the bare feet was an unfortunate exercise of judgement, but assuming they're not eating with their feet, I'm not sure why anyone would worry about "imagining what those feet picked up along the way". It would be the same things your shoes usually pick up.

3. Does quality of food and service decline on a case-by-case basis in correlation with the attire of the passengers? No, that's ridiculous. I don't know how much MDR staff worry about tips, but I'm sure they worry about losing their job. If anyone noticed they were systematically providing substandard service (consciously or subconsciously) to passengers based on the passengers' attire, the staff would be fired. And, as someone has already pointed out, the cooks preparing the food have no idea what the passengers who ordered it are wearing.

Finally, a rational and intelligent explanation.

[quote name='Cruzface']Not a good comparison. A classy restaurant on Hilton Head and the MDR on Carnival are completely different. You don't think it is the cheaper cuts of meat and mass market preparation that impacts the quality in the MDR? You think the line cooks in the kitchen purposefully prepare food differently based upon what they hear in the MDR? You may call me clueless, but I think most would agree that your position is unrealistic and ignorant.[/quote]

Cruz, since you seem to have a proclivity to call people "idiots" and "ignorant" without really listening to what they're trying to tell you, I won't waste any more time trying to have a conversation with you.

On our way to sail out of Miami last year, my 65 year old friend was talking about wearing slacks and a leather jacket to the airport, she was concerned about what to wear to the airport. I said, "who cares?" and she said "Once upon a time, people dressed up to travel." She's travelled all her life, and still thinks she should dress like she's going to mass. So much for what I knew (which is still nothing) but oh, how times change.
If the dining room atmosphere is to wear something nicer than what you'd put on to feed cattle, if it's nothing more than a pair of slacks and a shirt with a collar on it, that won't kill even me and I am a first class bum.

[quote name='fireofficer5']ccl is just about down to ncls level.[/QUOTE]

NCL is head and shoulders above CCL in both food and service from what we've experienced. We're taking the Carnival Spirit in May to Alaska, mainly due to this being the only cruise that would work with various people's schedule. But I would have much rather taken NCL if it was an option. I'm sure we'll still have a great trip, but I've learned to not expect much from Carnival.

Why do people care so much about what others are wearing? I dress for dinner each night, I enjoy it. It doesn't make me look any less pretty if the woman at the table next to me chose to wear a sundress and flipflops ... All of the Carnival cruises I've been on recently have had enough people who dressed neatly every evening to make it comfortable to be casual or dressed any night of the cruise. Enjoy your meal and let others enjoy theirs.

Personally, the thing that gets me the most lately in the MDR and cruises in general is how people feel they are the Queen of England and can complain and harrass staff ... that is what slows service. If your food is not satisfactory - send it back with a polite explanation of the problem. No need to be nasty to people who are really doing their best to give you the best service possible. Carnival service has slowed some with the introduction of anytime dining - I'm not saying that is "acceptable" but it is somewhat understandable. Anytime Dining times are about normal for a standard restaurant.

As far as it "being better than cooking and cleaning" ... it is FAR better than that. I do not make 4 course meals at home or serve three full meals plus snacks and tea at home. I do not have pizza and deli available 24/7 ... Please people ... if you are so upper crust that you need something more than Carnival offers, then you need to spend the money to receive that service. Personally, after travelling on some smaller, pricier ships and staying in a couple of boutique resorts in the Caribbean, I am happy that Carnival exists - I can enjoy a fun vacation with my kid, and go to the MDR with my well behaved preschooler and not be banished to the corner. Your service depends upon many factors - one of them being YOU. I am kind and polite to my waitstaff, and in return, they are kind and polite to me.

Bad food - that happens. Sometimes for a whole cruise - find something you do enjoy, stick with that, and lodge a complaint. Generally cruiselines are good about compensating in a way that ensures a repeat customer (OBC, credit towards a future cruise, or both).

I don't mean to sound preachy - sorry if I do ... I just feel like so many of us get uppity about this stuff (I used to do it too), and it is so inconsequential in the long run ... your vacation shouldn't be ruined by what other people wear to the dining room. It really shouldn't. Yes, they SHOULD have better manners, but not all people think that way.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now : )

[quote name='mapsmith']Should we start a "People of Carnival" thread like the "People of Walmart" We can start with PJs in the MDR and I expect that there would be a lot of pics.[/quote]

And yes ... because that would be funny and awesome. I think we need a Facebook page as well.

I'm not sure what the deal was, but on my last cruise, I saw TWO men in mankinis ... not together, but that would have been funnier yet.

[quote name='Lisl123']Why do people care so much about what others are wearing? I dress for dinner each night, I enjoy it. It doesn't make me look any less pretty if the woman at the table next to me chose to wear a sundress and flipflops ... All of the Carnival cruises I've been on recently have had enough people who dressed neatly every evening to make it comfortable to be casual or dressed any night of the cruise. Enjoy your meal and let others enjoy theirs.

Personally, the thing that gets me the most lately in the MDR and cruises in general is how people feel they are the Queen of England and can complain and harrass staff ... that is what slows service. If your food is not satisfactory - send it back with a polite explanation of the problem. No need to be nasty to people who are really doing their best to give you the best service possible. Carnival service has slowed some with the introduction of anytime dining - I'm not saying that is "acceptable" but it is somewhat understandable. Anytime Dining times are about normal for a standard restaurant.

As far as it "being better than cooking and cleaning" ... it is FAR better than that. I do not make 4 course meals at home or serve three full meals plus snacks and tea at home. I do not have pizza and deli available 24/7 ... Please people ... if you are so upper crust that you need something more than Carnival offers, then you need to spend the money to receive that service. Personally, after travelling on some smaller, pricier ships and staying in a couple of boutique resorts in the Caribbean, I am happy that Carnival exists - I can enjoy a fun vacation with my kid, and go to the MDR with my well behaved preschooler and not be banished to the corner. Your service depends upon many factors - one of them being YOU. I am kind and polite to my waitstaff, and in return, they are kind and polite to me.

Bad food - that happens. Sometimes for a whole cruise - find something you do enjoy, stick with that, and lodge a complaint. Generally cruiselines are good about compensating in a way that ensures a repeat customer (OBC, credit towards a future cruise, or both).

I don't mean to sound preachy - sorry if I do ... I just feel like so many of us get uppity about this stuff (I used to do it too), and it is so inconsequential in the long run ... your vacation shouldn't be ruined by what other people wear to the dining room. It really shouldn't. Yes, they SHOULD have better manners, but not all people think that way.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now : )[/quote]

Couldn't have said it better. Thanks for taking the time to post that. I wish every time I cruised it was with a ship full of people like you!

[quote=WeBeCruisin';31907734]Cruz, since you seem to have a proclivity to call people "idiots" and "ignorant" without really listening to what they're trying to tell you, I won't waste any more time trying to have a conversation with you.[/quote]

That's OK, it's probably because what I said made a "big whooshy" sound over your head...

[quote name='Lisl123']Why do people care so much about what others are wearing? I dress for dinner each night, I enjoy it. It doesn't make me look any less pretty if the woman at the table next to me chose to wear a sundress and flipflops ... All of the Carnival cruises I've been on recently have had enough people who dressed neatly every evening to make it comfortable to be casual or dressed any night of the cruise. Enjoy your meal and let others enjoy theirs.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now : )[/quote]

Well said, I would rather cruise with you and your pre-schooler than with some of the stiffs posting here...

[quote name='mapsmith']Should we start a "People of Carnival" thread like the "People of Walmart" We can start with PJs in the MDR and I expect that there would be a lot of pics.[/quote]
What a great suggestion, guess I need to take my camera to dinner every night...:)..Dennis

Archived