New Orleans Embarkation Day & Mardi Gras World

eric813

I will be staying in New Orleans the night before our cruise just outside New Orleans (NCAA tournament so could not stay downtown). I want to take the kids to Mardi Gras World which is just blocks from the pier. What I want to do is drive down to the pier early, park, check in for the cruise (and beat the crowds), leave to go to Mardi Gras World before returning to actually board the ship. So my questions are as follows:

1) How early can I get to the parking lot and be able to park (is there an time before they will let me into the garage)?

2) How early do they actually start the check in process in New Orleans? 3) How long does it take to see Mardi Gras World?

4) How late can I get back to the ship and board without stressing out or risk misisng the ship?

Thanks in advance,

Eric813

Past Cruises - 12

12. Disney Wonder (Disney) – February 6-13, 2011 (Mexican Rivera, Los Angeles, CA)

11. Pride of America (NCL) - November 7-14, 2009 (Hawaiian Islands, Honolulu, HI)

10. Carnival Pride (CCL) - June 6-13, 2009 (Bahamas / Caribbean, Baltimore, MD)

9. Holiday (CCL) - March 3-8, 2007 (Western Caribbean, Mobile, AL)

8. Jewel (NCL) - July 2-9, 2006 (Western Mediterranean, Barcelona, ESP)

7. Explorer of the Seas (RCI) - November 6-13, 2005 (Western Caribbean, Miami, FL)

6. Imagination (CCL) - June 12-17, 2000 (Western Caribbean, Miami, FL)

5. Inspiration (CCL) - July 14-21, 1996 (Southern Caribbean, San Juan, PR)

4. Britanis (Chandris) - December 1985 (Western Caribbean, Montego Bay, JAM)

3. Rhapsody (Paquet) - December 1983 (Western Caribbean, Miami, FL)

2. Festival (CCL) - December 18-25, 1982 (Eastern Caribbean, Miami, FL)

1. Norway (NCL) - December 1980 (Eastern Caribbean, Miami, FL)

Potential Future Cruises - 2

14. TBD (TBD) – August 2012 (Alaska, TBD)

13. Voyager of the Seas (RCI) – March 31 – April 7, 2012 (Western Caribbean, New Orleans, LA)

We live here so have taken several cruises out of NOLA but I would still call the cruise line and ask what time they will take your bags. You need to remember that porters are helping those leaving from the cruise that just unloaded. I would think you would be safe by 10:30 or maybe even 10:00 for them to take you bags. As for as parking, as early as you want. It takes about 2 full hours if you do both parts of the tour (there is a little movie beforehand) but I would call and ask. The tours are at certain times so you would want to have the schedule. You can't walk around by yourself in the huge warehouse with the floats. Also ask for the best time to actually see the artisans at work.

Time back onboard is probably about 2 to 3 hours before sailing. Again, a cruise line question to be safe

Mardi Gras World opens at 9:30 AM with tours every 30 min, so you should have ample time to explore. My suggest would be to park at the Fulton Place Garage @ $14 per day. Mardi Gras World has a shuttle service so arrange for them to pick you up and return you after the tour, then use Fulton's shuttle to get you and your luggage to the port (I wouldn't wait longer than 2:30).

If you still wish to use the port garage or Whale Lot the ports will take you luggage after 9:00 hen you can walk to the warehouse.

It's well worth seeing.

Gingee, This is a huge warehouse/museum where you can get up close to the Mardi Gras floats and sometime watch as they're worked on. It was originally in Algeres across the river and there are a few floats and elements there.

I have attached a Mapquest sat elite view -- the port is circled in blue and Mardi Gras World is circled in red.

NOLA.jpg.148e47e682f77d7a88cab2a627b37768.jpg

What is Mardi Gras World? Is it the museum off the square in New Orleans? Was under renovation last Christmastime.

No, they are two different places and completely different. You are thinking of the Presbytere that has a Mardi Gras exhibit. You can read about that here. That i another great place to visit while you are visiting Jackson Square and walking all around that area:

http://www.neworleansonline.com/directory/location.php?locationID=1280

Mardi Gras world is where they actually make and warehouse the floats used in parades. They are different but both great places to visit.

We are staying at the Drury Inn in New Orleans. Where is this place in relation to the Mardi Gras place? We won't have a car with us. I know where the hilton and Riverwalk mall is. Anywhere around that?

We are staying at the Drury Inn in New Orleans. Where is this place in relation to the Mardi Gras place? We won't have a car with us. I know where the hilton and Riverwalk mall is. Anywhere around that?

Gingee, It is on the opposite end of the convention center from the Hilton. According to the Mardi Gras website they have a shuttle that will pick you up.

I would estimate it is within 1/2 mile from the Drury, they will be happy to direct you.

Thanks. I wonder if we could walk that from Drury Inn.

Sorry it took so long to answer you (Cruise Critic Boards went down awhile yesterday). Sure if you like walking just go toward the Convention Center and when you get there take a right goto Julia St go left and straight across the RR tracks and it is the building in front of you. I'd estimate a third of a mile from Drury.

• 3 weeks later...

Just booked the Star out of NOLA for Feb 2013 and will get back on 10 Feb - Fat Tuesday is 13 Feb. Looking for any and all suggestions on where to stay after our cruise that will be moderately priced, near French Quarter (but I like to sleep so don't need a all night experience of noise and such)...; parking - any hotels sell stay, park, cruise packages? and Mardi Gras parades? Thanks

Archived