Eastbound Queen Mary Diverted

guernseyguy

Queen Mary II diverted to St.John's

April 12, 2005

The world's largest ocean liner has been diverted to St. John's for a medical evacuation. Captain Paul Wright has told passengers on the Queen Mary 2 someone onboard was seriously ill and requires urgent hospital care. He says Search and Rescue helicopters could not fly to the ship because weather conditions are poor, so the vessel headed here. The Queen Mary has arrived off St.John's and a lot of people are flocking to the area for a glimpse of the liner.

In an extraordinary move that underscored the seriousness of the situation, the ship's doctor appealed to passengers this afternoon for blood donors to help him treat his patient.

It's not known yet whether the person is a passenger or crewmember.

I took this off of a local website. The weather is really foggy here today and the rain has been very heavy. Several roads have been washed out due to the rain. I sure hope the person ends up being ok! That is one of the last things that a person would want to have happen to them while on vacation.

Lisa

We are on QM2 from Southampton on Saturday 16th (3 days time).

Guernseyguy or anybody else - does it look like she will arrive late and hence depart late ?

If QM2 were to lose, say, 12 hours, could she catch it back up on her crossing to New York next week?

Andrew Frost

If QM2 were to lose, say, 12 hours, could she catch it back up on her crossing to New York next week?

Andrew Frost

Andrew, I don't know about the length of the diversion or the extent of the delay - so I can't directly answer the question. However, were I a betting man I'd bet on an on-time departure for you later this week - several factors - for a 6 day trans atlantic I think she has to average around 24-25 knots - she can do 29 fairly easily - and go faster in a push - so I would expect them to recover a lot of the time - her maiden arrival into NY was due to be delayed by fog from the day before, but she still caught up to arrive on time. The other is the Southampton turn around can be expedited - I've seen them turn round the QE2 in NY in nearer 6 hours than 12 - and will she make it into NY on time after your crossing (barring further unforseen diversions) - almost certainly - the redundancy in higher speed is what makes the QM2 a cruise liner rather than just any old cruise ship - you can't 'drop a port' on a Trans Atlantic to make up time, as cruise ships do under similar circumstances - she has to maintain the time table - which is why she was (expensively) built to be able to go faster than she needs to. On the QE2 I've sailed several times at 29-30 knots to avoid bad weather - its what these ships are designed to do.

Have a great crossing!

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for the reassurance. It is our first crossing so we want it to go smoothly (not necessarily smooth seas, although that would be the cherry on the cake).

We live in Salisbury so are only an hour or so from the port. Our tickets say to check in at noon so we still plan to be there then. I suppose that if QM2 is late arriving we will just have to kick our heels in the terminal. Do you know if we would be able to leave the terminal after checking in and embarkation is delayed ? Pat likes to shop in West Quay !

Thanks for the information. I will try and post our experience of the crossing when we are ashore in the US.

Andrew

Latest news from Canada :

http://www.vocm.com/news-info.asp?id=1729

The passenger was a 79 year old American.

Andrew,

I would expect the QM2 to arrive on time - I think you may be able to spot her on the Southampton Web Cam, if you want to check - but I'm not 100% sure it covers all the berths - you can find it here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southampton/webcams/southampton.shtml

Or the port webcam here:

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/webcams.htm

I've only ever checked in then embarked, never turned round & gone back into town - so I can't answer your question directly - but I'd be inclined to get the shopping done before going to the pier - there is so much to explore on the QM2 I'd get on board as soon as possible. In the past I've gone to a hotel for lunch, left the bags with a porter, then wandered round town on foot doing last minute shopping. The Cunard web site tells people to check in at 15.00 - so I'm sure you would be perfectly ok checking in after 12.00 - and if there has been any delay you would be left cooling your heels after check in.

Have a great crossing!

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for the link to the latest report. The Scotsman also has the earlier report of the evacuation. Let's hope the passenger recovers and can go on QM2 again. Must have been serious if the doctor needed donors.

So, with luck we will be aboard QM2 around 1pm for our first ever cruise.

Regards

Andrew

Mary,

Hi. At last somebody else who is travelling with us. I posted a roll call and only one couple from Minnesota replied. We thought that we were the only people on board LOL.

It would be great to meet up with you. We are in cabin 10014. Do you know yours? We could put a note on your door and arrange to meet.

It is our first ever cruise as well and, probably like you, we decided to do it in style.

Andrew and Pat Frost

I've only ever checked in then embarked, never turned round & gone back into town - so I can't answer your question directly

Have a great crossing!

Peter

Hi

I once tried to do this, and was discouraged from doing so, for "security" reasons.

Kyle

Andrew & co....St John's Newfoundland is 1927 nautical miles on a great circle from Southampton - as the crow flies - so as the QM2 goes round, rather than through, the Isle of Wight its obviously a bit further - but I couldn't find out precisely. She left St John's late last night (for arguements sake around 5am UK time) - so has 72 or so hours to get to Southampton - which would require an average speed of 27 knots - well within her capability. Of course there may be other considerations (apart from avoiding the Isle of Wight) such as weather, but I would have every faith in her catching up time.

Peter

Peter,

......and you also have a satellite link to her GPS and can track her to within 6 inches !!

Thanks for the research and the information. It's good to know that when we drive into Southampton we should see her towering over the docks.

Andrew and Pat

The QE2 started going up the English Channel and around the Isle of Wright when the extra night was added to the ship's crossings during the late 90's. Prior to that the Cunard Queens headed past the Needles and up the Solent towards Southampton Water. And now, since the QM2 is on a six night crossing schedule, she too travels the longer path to and from Southampton.

I don't know of any reason that would stop the QM2 from heading past the Needles and saving quite a few hours by not sailing up and around the Isle of Wright. If the Needles are passed during the day, this would certainly be a bit of lagniappe for the passengers as that area is very scenic.

Andrew

Our first ever cruise also, it's a wedding anniversary trip for us - sort of second honeymoon for us so really fancied a romantic kind of holiday. We are in 11024.

See you there!!!

Mary

Mary,

Great, we celebrate our anniversary on board as well. Will drop a note on your cabin door when we're settled.

Peter,

Thanks for the ship tracking web site. I've registered and can see all the ships in Southampton, Gibraltar, etc. Will be looking out for QM2 Friday night and before we leave on Saturday.

Andrew

I was on QE2 when she was delayed 11 hours leaving NY. We made the time up with no trouble at all and arrived in Southampton a few minutes early! Speed of 29-30 knots all the way across the Atlantic was thrilling. QM2 can do almost that speed, though QE2 is still the fastest.

A side note: QE2 has 9 engines and usually often only uses 5-6 of them on a crossing. They perform maintenance on the unused engines and keep them in reserve for delays such as the one QM2 has had.

Only problem with disembarking in Southampton for a few hours is that cabs can be hard to get returning to the docks. I got a restaurant to call on for me and tell them it was for one of their customers or I would not have made it back.

jbailey,

Thanks for the reassurance about QM2's speed.

I see from the atlantic weather forecast that we could have 20 foot waves on our first couple of days. From your experience does this cause QM2 to be 'uncomfortable' ?

Andrew

Andrew

How many engines does QM2 have in reserve?

David.

David, from what I inferred from yesterday's comments by Mickey Arison, she usually runs on 3 or 4 of her 4 diesel engines, in the two engine rooms, and uses the two gas turbines in the funnel base when extra speed is required.

Peter

Hi,

I'm on this cruise. We did have an unusual delay re the passenger who had to leave the ship, however we have made most of this up and we are looking to only be about 2 1/2 hours late into Southampton so I doubt this will delay the Westbound cruise.

We have heard that the passenger has made a good recovery which is great news. It caused some changes to the schedule here - the captain rearranged formal and informal nights and moved the captain's cocktail party but otherwise very little disruption.

The whole situation was excellent handled by Cunard and we were all kept well informed with all relevant info - most impressive.

This has been a superb cruise and I will be sad to leave the ship tomorrow. Highlights for me have been;

- Rock at the Opera

- Standing outside in 40 odd knots of wind - really knocks the cobwebs out and makes you feel alive!

- The chocolate pudding at Todd English. Very WOW

- Service. The staff here "do" service very well

- The murder mystery play - a real giggle, not to be taken seriously at all but very funny.

Wishing all of you on the next crossing a fabulous trip. I hope to be back before too long.

Teresa

Archived