kids at bars/past guest parties

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

Depends on the local bar and the circumstances. I have taken my kids to a local sports bar for lunch to watch football. Would I take them to that same bar at 11pm? No way.

Speaking of language and R-rated conversation, I also take my kids to sporting events. Plenty of drunk fans saying all kinds of things there. Should I never let them watch hockey or football or baseball because of drunk fans?

If people are having fun in the piano bar I will go with my kids - Im planning on it. I will be there earlier in the evening and not at midnight when things are rowdier.

I am not asking anybody to behave differently because the kids are there... and there is no reason that you can't enjoy yourself with my kids sitting at a table in there, you do you and we will do us. It's not like Im asking you to come sit down and converse with them.

agree with you and think people should mind their own and not tell others how to bring up their kids!!! u can go to beach bars with kids and there are plenty of family bar/ resturants where i live with beer gardens for the kids to play whilst adults have a quiet drink. kids can go to bars until 9pm usually, so i dont see a problem with kids in bars on the ship, especially if its no smokeing.

I would consider any parent that brings their kid to a bar a great parent.:rolleyes:

If you bring your kids I hope they enjoy all the swearing and sometimes disgusting conversation and behaviour that comes with the territory.

Why, do you sit in the bars swearing loud and having disgusting conversations all the time on the ship?

I think if people are acting like that much of a fool, we would leave with our without our kids in the bar.

Don't be so naive! We all know what goes on in bars and YES it's poor parenting bringing kids into bars.

Are you really that ......???

Do you make a habit of going to bars that people are acting like that?

So if my mom comes on the cruise, and takes me to the piano bar that is poor parenting on her part? Even though I am 47 years old?

Are you really that ........? or just an .......?

There is a time and place for everything, and I dont think it's appropriate to have a child hanging around a bar on a ship. Would you bring your child to your local bar? Probably not, so why do so on board a ship? The past guest party is acceptable since non-alcoholic beverages are passed around and it's in a venue. There are many other places on board a ship that a child can get a soda. I just think the Piano Bar is not one of them since language and conversation can be rated R at times. Us adults go there to be adults and shouldn't have to censor ourselves when we are in an adult venue.

With all the walking around waiters on the ship, isn't the ship really just a big floating Bar?

Man, I wish more parents had your attitude!

These kids today, I swear, such priveledged lives they lead.

Parents acting more like their best buddy instead of their parent.

And taking them out of school for over a week, what's this world coming to?

I'll tell ya, a bunch of future morons with a sense of entitlement.

God help us.

(fanning the flames, they were starting to go out)

And the hippos, you know, the ones whose cabin is in the Lido buffet.

:)

Sorry, stirrin the pot again.

Not fanning the flames - pouring gasoline on them.

I WISH I was taking the kids out of school. No way I would be cruising during spring break on Carnival.

Since CCL has no problem with it, I figure it is the parents choice. However if I am in the piano bar and feel like telling an off color joke or request a more "mature song", I sure dont want my wife or somebody else to tone it down because of kids in the "bar".

For the umpteenth time, nobody is asking anybody to act any differently. If kids are in there, the parents have to be ready to deal with what goes with being in there. Nothing stops the drunk idiots up on the pool deck from making lude comments to underage girls - experienced that with stepdaughter a few times on Carnival.

even conservative old me has brought the kids to the Piano Bar

we don't go to drink but we sit for awhile and enjoy the music...no issue at all...

never could stay long though as it stunk of smoke...next CCL cruise we will definitely be spending more time there...

so...CCL....you done good!

For the umpteenth time, nobody is asking anybody to act any differently. If kids are in there, the parents have to be ready to deal with what goes with being in there. Nothing stops the drunk idiots up on the pool deck from making lude comments to underage girls - experienced that with stepdaughter a few times on Carnival.

You say nobody is asking anybody to act different....but you know as well as I do that the jokes, language and music in a bar can get "colorful". And you know as well as I do that if kids are present there will be parents that think YOU should modify YOUR behavior because of the kids...even though YOU are in a piano BAR. And if you read my post completely you will see that I said if it is within CCL rules then it is the parents choice...just dont tell me to tone it down.

Wow I have been amazed reading this thread. It is really simple. The cruise line have designated areas for adults only and those for children only. Other areas are open to all guests. Aggressive behaviour and discrimination towards any guest is not acceptable. All people, including children who are acting correctly in an area that they are permitted, should not be challenged or disrespected by another.

So glad I am not alone here...and that you are intelligent enough to understand that it certanly is discrimination toward children.

You are so right...any guest who is acting correctly...child...teen...college kid...adult...senior citizen.....

You say nobody is asking anybody to act different....but you know as well as I do that the jokes, language and music in a bar can get "colorful". And you know as well as I do that if kids are present there will be parents that think YOU should modify YOUR behavior because of the kids...even though YOU are in a piano BAR. And if you read my post completely you will see that I said if it is within CCL rules then it is the parents choice...just dont tell me to tone it down.

I wouldn't, but agree that there are parents that would - happened to a friend at a bar in Florida - somebody brought kids into a bar during some ball game and my friend said something colorful at the tv and the mother got after him.

As I've said before though, I really haven't seen that much colorful language in there earlier in the evening before 10 or 11.

I just don't get it though, I go to plenty of bars and am somehow able to enjoy myself without walking in and swearing and acting like a fool (not that I don't appreciate a good inappropriate joke).

I wouldn't, but agree that there are parents that would - happened to a friend at a bar in Florida - somebody brought kids into a bar during some ball game and my friend said something colorful at the tv and the mother got after him.

As I've said before though, I really haven't seen that much colorful language in there earlier in the evening before 10 or 11.

I just don't get it though, I go to plenty of bars and am somehow able to enjoy myself without walking in and swearing and acting like a fool (not that I don't appreciate a good inappropriate joke).

WOW, I'm pretty sure you spent the last 12 hours on CC arguing over this matter. :eek:

I think you need to spend some time with your kids (but not in the bar lol).

WOW, I'm pretty sure you spent the last 12 hours on CC arguing over this matter. :eek:

I think you need to spend some time with your kids (but not in the bar lol).

Yeah, not the most productive way to spend a day off. At least I will sleep well tonight knowing Im not you.

All in good fun - seriously. I'll have a Labatt's and toast you (I've had quite a bit of business in ON these last few months). Cheers.

I have been on a few Carnival ships that had piano bars in the same enclosed lounge where they did cigar smoking earlier in the day. I love piano bars but I couldn't stay due to the smell making me feel ill. I am glad they stopped smoking in the piano bars as I do not enjoy it and feel bad for the singer. Personally I feel it is abusive to bring a child into a smoke filled room for an extended period of time, but some parents feel this is ok and even do so in their own homes. (Do not bothering yelling at me about this last line -it is my opinion only and you as a parent will only be saying that you as the parent have the right to endanger your childs life).

I have seen many open areas, on many ships that provide music another than the piano bar. It would be nice to have an area I could go to sit, listen to music, and have adult conversation or adult musical entertainment. I am not welcome in the yooth area. In my opinion Kids should be able to come to the welcome back party, as long as the parents can control them.

As far as kids paying the same that is a moot point. We all pay different amounts. My mom and her twin are paying less for a better cabin and they booked after us. Everytime I have checked the 3rd and 4th person bring down the per person cost so with a family with young kids they would be paying less than I would booking on the same day, same time, etc.

Well IMHO adults act one way when around children and another when around adults. Kind of like how you would act different around a priest. So I wouldn't want children or a priest in the piano bar. I wouldn't feel able to just be an adult. I would have to watch my behaviour.

Well IMHO adults act one way when around children and another when around adults. Kind of like how you would act different around a priest. So I wouldn't want children or a priest in the piano bar. I wouldn't feel able to just be an adult. I would have to watch my behaviour.

This makes sense to me. I appreciate the answer to my inquiries as to how it impacts people there.

As somebody said before, we will have to agree to disagree, but I understand where you are coming from. Hopefully the times I will be in there with the kids (until 10ish) will not impact folks who feel this way too much.

To all those that do not want any kids in lounges/bars...are you okay with banning alcoholic drinks from all pools? Those midday drunkin idiots that my kids have to witness would be gone....

No...lets ALL act appropriately for the situation that we are in....adult or child. Parents need to TEACH their children, not just shield them from things. Everyone has some good points...now kick back, relax and enjoy the show! Tolerence is a great lesson...one that I try to teach my kids every day...and respect, mon!

Leaving with my kids on Saturday for PR and a 1/15/12 cruise on Victory. Many vacations with kids....first cruise with them...and 50 others...see you in the PB (with my kids, I hope...at least early in the evening...)

I have been on a few Carnival ships that had piano bars in the same enclosed lounge where they did cigar smoking earlier in the day. I love piano bars but I couldn't stay due to the smell making me feel ill. I am glad they stopped smoking in the piano bars as I do not enjoy it and feel bad for the singer. Personally I feel it is abusive to bring a child into a smoke filled room for an extended period of time, but some parents feel this is ok and even do so in their own homes. (Do not bothering yelling at me about this last line -it is my opinion only and you as a parent will only be saying that you as the parent have the right to endanger your childs life).

I have seen many open areas, on many ships that provide music another than the piano bar. It would be nice to have an area I could go to sit, listen to music, and have adult conversation or adult musical entertainment. I am not welcome in the yooth area. In my opinion Kids should be able to come to the welcome back party, as long as the parents can control them.

As far as kids paying the same that is a moot point. We all pay different amounts. My mom and her twin are paying less for a better cabin and they booked after us. Everytime I have checked the 3rd and 4th person bring down the per person cost so with a family with young kids they would be paying less than I would booking on the same day, same time, etc.

first off, the piano bar has been smoke free for the past year, so your first point is moot.

and check the 3rd and 4th fare as often as you like. That fare is no different if you're 14 or 41.

and how out of touch i must be now. always though all a piano bar needed was a talented player with a personality, knowing popular song that eveyone knew.

must get silent playing dirty novelty songs. no wonder they need the babes to climb on top of the piano to collect peanuts. i never found that venue of dirty dr. demento songs, and certainly wouldn't find myself singing along to one.

1 - my child is as equally a past guest as any other paying guest, so yes, they are welcome at past guest parties if they qualify as past guests.

2 - the bar, unfortunately, is the only place they can get their soft drinks.. :(

To all those that do not want any kids in lounges/bars...are you okay with banning alcoholic drinks from all pools? Those midday drunkin idiots that my kids have to witness would be gone....

No...lets ALL act appropriately for the situation that we are in....adult or child. Parents need to TEACH their children, not just shield them from things. Everyone has some good points...now kick back, relax and enjoy the show! Tolerence is a great lesson...one that I try to teach my kids every day...and respect, mon!

I would be ok with banning drunken idiots.

I kind of enjoy all these arguments about parenting. I mostly like the ones where people say it is bad parenting to shield and protect your child from adult behavior. Having been raised as a "mini-adult" and choosing to raise my children at what is developmentally appropriate for them instead, I feel very comfortable in my choices to shield them as needed. So it is kind of funny and not even a bit threatening.

Archived