Sensation Sea Sickness!

Megs321

I went on the CCL Sensation May 1, 2011. This was my first cruise ever and the only problem I had was the fact that the first night out was extremely rocky. The whole ship was swaying back and forth and everyone was almost falling over... The rest of the trip was fine. Never felt the ship move again.

Went again on the same ship, Sensation, on November 6, 2011 (wanted to try a new ship but this is the only one that would work with our group) This time was 10 times worse than the one in May. The first night was horrible, but I thought, Hey it's ok, been there done that, ensured my friends the rest of the trip wouldn't be like this.....WRONG. That night the crew taped up puke bags by all the elevators... not a good sign if you ask me... EVERYONE on the ship was sick. The medical clinic was passing out motion sickness pills like it was candy. The only time the ship wasn't rocking was when we ported. Every dinner, drinks were spilled if they were filled up too high, it was bad.

Don't think this discourages me to go on more cruises. I absoultely love cruising. I am just not so keen on throwing up all the time. So, I'm wondering if it's the time of the year? The ship? Why was it so bad???

I'm looking to book another cruise for my family and I would like to go the last week of August before Labor Day... Is this a good time to go? What's the weather like?

I have been on the Sensation twice. The first time we were in the bow of the ship in V16. I did notice some movement when I went to bed, but was fine the next day. Second cruise we were in E244, extended Aft balcony and felt nothing. The weather and water on both cruises were fairly smooth and these cruises were late September and early October. Don't give up, just try during a different time frame? Our cruise on the Valor in June was smooth as well. Going on the Glory, which is the same size as the Valor in March and we are prayig for smooth waters as well.:)

I experienced rough seas once at the sail away for Destiny. It was awful. We could see the horizon bobbing up and down. Being seasick is an awful feeling, like being hungover, and this was the only day out of 5 cruises I had ever experienced it. The only thing that somewhat helped was to lay down and try to wait it out.

we sailed on the fascination out of jacksonville on nov.7th.....& we had really rough seas too.....could hardly stand up......it was caused by ts sean......so this yr we are sailing in dec......to hopefully miss any storms....it was not the ship...just the ts.:D

Having sailed on the Sensation several times, I can understand the OP's concern about repeat seasickness performances!

I sailed the week after the OP and it the sea was still churning. I've had slight bouts of seasickness and being a bit woozy (without the booze!) on other cruises...but the cruise in November was my worst crossing from Nassau back to Florida in ALL of my cruises.

First time I ever took to my bed at 7 o"clock in the evening. :eek: My DH said he had never actually seen anyone look green before.

I am sailing on the Sensation again next month...and I am praying that this will be a much better sailing!

To answer the OP's question about time of year - it definitely affects the smoothness of your cruise. With hurricane season running June through November, there is no way to predict which sailing will be affected. All you can do is hope for the best!

Wasn't it horrible?!?! It never stopped the whole time we were cruising....

We are looking at a cruise in Mid August on the Magic.... I hope we don't run into the same problem. The only downfall is the heat, but I would rather be hot than be stuck in my room throwing up the whole time.. :)

Having sailed on the Sensation several times, I can understand the OP's concern about repeat seasickness performances!

I sailed the week after the OP and it the sea was still churning. I've had slight bouts of seasickness and being a bit woozy (without the booze!) on other cruises...but the cruise in November was my worst crossing from Nassau back to Florida in ALL of my cruises.

First time I ever took to my bed at 7 o"clock in the evening. :eek: My DH said he had never actually seen anyone look green before.

I am sailing on the Sensation again next month...and I am praying that this will be a much better sailing!

To answer the OP's question about time of year - it definitely affects the smoothness of your cruise. With hurricane season running June through November, there is no way to predict which sailing will be affected. All you can do is hope for the best!

August is right in the heart of hurricane season so be prepared for rough seas. It might be fine-no way to know ahead of time but the odds are against you.

The key for me for seasickness is to start to take Bonine the night before I board the ship (this med works best for me-hasn't let me down yet and I tend to get really sick in rough seas). I take it every day of the cruise. Don't wait until you get sick to take it.

I was on the Sensation last month 12/11/11...the first night was kinda rocky but not too bad...the rest of the cruise was not bad at all....It was pretty windy and i thought we were going to have a bumpy ride home...but it did not happen...I have had bumpy rides before and i like them.... i guess im kinda wierd because i sleep pretty well during rough seas...and i am lucky that i dont get sea sick

about the weather ....there is no way of predicting the weather I hope you have smooth sailing ...but all i can say is last week of august i guess warm...anything past that would be a guess

Archived