To Tux or Not to Tux? Allure Western Caribbean February

hwfiv

A suit is what I would wear. I have never seen people in tux's on any of my rccl cruises.

i quess we never cruised on the same ship. i never ever cruise without my tux. be it a mere 3 day fill in cruise or a 18 -- 21 ngt European cruise. formal to my wife and i means FORMAL. and we have done many cruises. so keep looking, you will see men in a tux........

i quess we never cruised on the same ship. i never ever cruise without my tux. be it a mere 3 day fill in cruise or a 18 -- 21 ngt European cruise. formal to my wife and i means FORMAL. and we have done many cruises. so keep looking, you will see men in a tux........

They're getting fewer and fewer and far between.

Oh please.

This is Royal Caribbean.

You may be out of place in a tux.

You'll fit in nicely in a suit.

Long-sleeved shirt is fine too.

I've seen people in jeans.

No jacket in a main dining room on a ship? Jeans? That's just so tacky sounding? I'd feel ridiculous going into a beautiful dining room without at LEAST a sport coat on. I think I'll bring the tux and wear it for the formal nights. And if I feel completely out of place in it on the first, then I'll just skip it on the second.

I believe there are two formal nights on the 7 night Western Allure trip? I can't seem to find the place on the website that explains dress code...

Agree 100%. Be comfortable. The great majority of those who wear the black and white monkey suits hurry back to their cabins and change asap after dinner. You don't need to play the game.

As I'm quite used to my tuxedo, I never consider it a monkey suit, and I actually find it incredibly comfortable. But then again I own a few very very good well made tuxedos. I would imagine an ill fitting tux would feel like a monkey suit.

They're getting fewer and fewer and far between.

it is only because most that cruise today know that RCCL does not enforce the dress code. formal does not mean polo shirt or shirt and tie or any combo there of. formal means suit and tie or tux. i guess the type of cruiser you are determines your definition of FORMAL. happy cruising and wear what ever you want to.... just remember-----it it FORMAL night.........

formal nights and has "elegant" nights--no coats or ties, just nice pants and a long sleeve shirt. Others are moving in that direction.

This is the way the industry is going. Baggage prices have something to

do with it too.

Look at all the casual days in Industry USA today--suits and ties are on the way out, if they're not gone already.

formal nights and has "elegant" nights--no coats or ties, just nice pants and a long sleeve shirt. Others are moving in that direction.

This is the way the industry is going. Baggage prices have something to

do with it too.

Look at all the casual days in Industry USA today--suits and ties are on the way out, if they're not gone already.

i understand what you are saying. but as of now, RCCL still says it is formal night. not elegant night or casual industry night. it is called FORMAL night. until RCCL changes it in writing. let us respect it.

i understand what you are saying. but as of now, RCCL still says it is formal night. not elegant night or casual industry night. it is called FORMAL night. until RCCL changes it in writing. let us respect it.

Okay, I may wear or carry a sport coat into the MDR.

Okay, I may wear or carry a sport coat into the MDR.

i am tired of beating this dead horse. you may wear whatever you wish on formal night. (you will anyway) and if i see see around the ship or in the CL (my favorite part of cruising) and you are wearing shorts, jeans, khakis, polo shirt, shirt and tie, complete suit and tie or a tux i will smile and say "hello" and i walk by you in my tux. wear what you will and have a wonderful cruise. Mr phish tales from Pa

As I'm quite used to my tuxedo, I never consider it a monkey suit, and I actually find it incredibly comfortable. But then again I own a few very very good well made tuxedos. I would imagine an ill fitting tux would feel like a monkey suit.

I order the tux through the ship and am always very comfortable. What I won't do is order the shoes. I've never worn a comfortable pair of rented shoes.

7 nights or less then I would not wear a tux - in fact may not even wear a suit and go casual probably to the windjammer.

Having said that I have seen people wearing a tux in there.

Longer than 7 days, I will always wear a tux.

I am sure I am not alone in this policy.

I order the tux through the ship and am always very comfortable. What I won't do is order the shoes. I've never worn a comfortable pair of rented shoes.

I also rent a tux through the ship. I tried it for the first time last year on the Freedom of the Seas and really liked it. The tux was very good quality, I was slightly off on the measurement I gave the ship on the coat so the sleeves were slightly long. No problem though, the tailor quickly got the right measurement and brought a new coat to my cabin within 30 minutes.

doing this allowed me to pack more efficiently and avoid checked bag fees on the airlines.

On my one cruise on Jewel of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean), I did like SamFritz and ordered a tux through RCI while bringing my own shoes. It fit perfectly and I felt comfortable and classy on the two formal nights. On the other nights, I wore a sportcoat and slacks 2-3 times and a shirt with slacks the remainder of the time. About 1/3 of the gents wore tuxes on formal nights, with maybe 1/4 in sportcoats with no tie and the balance in suits. I saw a handful of guys in jeans in the MDR.

I'll again order a tux from RCI on my next cruise on IOS in 2013. Comfort is great, but elegeant evenings call for appropriate dress. Perhaps some of the guys who complain on these boards about feeling uncomfortable in suits or tuxes have ill-fitting clothing. If you only wear a suit and tie on a cruise and not much in everyday life, it's likely that those few extra pounds you've gained in the 5-10 years since you bought that suit could make it irritating to wear. Much better to do the RCI tux package using up-to-date measurements so everything fits and feels great.

You can't go wrong when you dress sharp. There are times for shorts and flip flops, bikinis, lingerie, jeans, and even Snuggies. MDR on formal nights calls for something a little classier, IMHO.

I think a suit or sportcoat and tie works great for formal nights, however I bought a tux a few year back when they were a bit more common so I stick with that except on short cruises.

What I don't understand is the "I don't do tuxes anymore, now I do a suit because of airline baggage restrictions" logic - doesn't a tux and a suit weigh the same? I don't pack formal shoes however, as I have to get more wear out of shoes I pack than just formal nights.

BTW, recent 7 day Bahamas on Carnival - surprised at the number of tuxes (which didn't include me) - didn't think it was a tux crowd!

Turns out that the Allure has a "Prohibition Party" in the Jazz Club and it sounded like SO much fun, that a tux would be perfect for it... so that solves that problem... I'll take the tux to wear for the Prohibition Party and if it feels out of place for the formal nights, then I'll dress down to just a sport coat. Otherwise, I'll wear the tux.

Thank you guys SO much for the advice!! I wish everyone would dress appropriately for "formal nights", but it's 2012, and well, class and taste unfortunately doesn't rule the day anymore...

Leave the Tux at home. A sport coat will be just fine and you can use the trousers on other nights. This is the light weight approach given todays luggage restrictions. At best you will see a few men wearing tuxs. But at the end of the day wear what makes you comfortable, just don't expect to see many other men in a tux.

Leave the Tux at home. A sport coat will be just fine and you can use the trousers on other nights. This is the light weight approach given todays luggage restrictions. At best you will see a few men wearing tuxs. But at the end of the day wear what makes you comfortable, just don't expect to see many other men in a tux.

Good advice--you don't want to be the weird duck(or penguin), or do you?

My husband and son always wear tuxes on formal nights. I have many wonderful photos taken through the years of us on formal nights. Although my husband owns a tux, on recent cruises he and my son have rented them through the ship. He brings his own shoes though. It saves space in the garment bag to do it that way.

I have noticed fewer tuxes and long dresses on formal nights and more suits. Tux, suit, or sport coat is personal preference.

We were just on the Freedom holiday cruise and it was nice to see people in tuxes and dressed up with all the decorations in the dining room on New Year's Eve formal night.

Archived