Bringing entertainment?

elmom

We are traveling on the Carnival Magic for 7 days with your 5 and 6 year old kids. I am wondering if we should bring toys (beyond "safety animals"), if we should bring the DS, or load the ipad with movies to watch? We read every night before bed, but thinking of just bringing one book with many stories? Any thoughts?

Part of me thinks it will just be more stuff in an already small space. Part of me figures we will be having down time and I might not be able to keep them entertained.

we are bringing his portable DVD player and Nintendo 3DS (predominantly for the flight to San Juan) , fish pillow that he sleeps with every night and perhaps uno cards and a few matchbox cars.

I can load books on my ipad if need be for him before the trip. But most nights on our last cruise he was beat by the time we got him back to the room.

Last cruise he was allowed to fill up a gallon freezer bag type thing with little toys like matchbox cars. He didnt use it much but it was nice to have for him to play with while we were getting dressed/showered etc.

Ashley

We used the DS for the wait getting off the ship, and my girls had a crowd of kids around all sharing whose parents said they wished they'd brought theirs. That last morning can be difficult. They also used the DS during "down time" while we rested/got ready for dinner and were cooped up in the cabin.

Best,

Mia

heck yes! :p Load up that ipad and bring the DS. Works great for standing in line at embarkation and if they come to dinner with you. I also brought a couple of small toys (usually bought new) for me to whip out as a treat, although as DS gets older, teh electronic stuff holds more appeal.

We love the iPad and iPod touch for our boys aged 6 and 4 yrs to use during "quiet time" or while waiting in lines (think embarkation or in the airport). They are loaded with a few movies, some books and child-friendly games. Bring along an earphone splitter, so both children can listen to the movie at the same time. Earphones will also let them use the device without bothering fellow passengers.

I also let my boys fill up one large (gallon? Not sure, we're Canadian ;)) ziploc bag of toys or books from home, with each bringing one familiar book to read at bedtime. The bedtime story is an integral part of our bedtime routine and I don't like to mess with it, even when we're on vacation. Plus the ziploc helps keep the toys in one place in the cabin ;)

We don't have i-pads, i-phones. They really look neat. But we did bring a portable CD player and used that during down times. We also took Leapster Explorers and the kids took those to dinner each night. We had one chapter book to read each night a story. I also had a couple of small (dollar store) toys that they had never seen before. There was more than enough to do and I was glad to have it all.

Nancy

Our portable DVD player saved us with DS, 4! We were on a different cruise line (Celebrity), but I assume it's the same in that the cabin won't have a DVD player. Sure, it was a pain to lug the thing, but it was worth its weight in gold. There WAS down time, even with all the fun activities in the kids' club. DS needed some chill time in the cabin midday, so we would put a disc on for him, and he would watch it while we all relaxed in the cabin. Sometimes, he actually fell asleep, although he had given up his nap long before. I say, bring electronics!!!!! You won't regret it.

We took our DS- no ipad here either. My 7 yo played it mostly on the 8hr drive and at the hotel. I also had him pack a notebook and pencils and a puzzle book and I down loaded some books from the library on my laptop. This year we have my nook, laptop the DS and DH and My smart phone. So lots of games and books a couple of movies and we are set we should all be entertained.

Archived