Who has actually been caught in a Hurricane?

I was caught in Hurricane David in 1979 on either the Skyward or Starward from NCL (can't remember last week let alone 1979). It is the only time on 35+ cruises that I've come across a hurricane. The cruise line doesn't want to be in a hurricane.

My dad and I were the only ones on the ship still standing. Very few crew were out and about, and they had bigger things to worry about. I remember it being very turbulent for 12-14 hours. Barf bags lined the passageways, and the furniture on the decks was tied up to keep it from blowing overboard. :eek:

These days there's radar and weather gear on the ships that helps the Captain steer clear of any bad weather. Don't worry, enjoy your cruise.

When we sailed on Rhapsody in Sept of 02, we hit the end of a hurricane but I can't remember which one. The trip was really something from Galveston to Key West. Once we got to Key West the weather was great the rest of the cruise was reall good. We left on a Sunday I think and my mother stayed in bed all day Monday. We got some interesting video from that trip and everyone was told to stay off deck. Did it scare us off? Nope. Our next cruise is Sept of this year. Think of it as an adventure.

Sept. 1996---got caught in Edouard on a NY to Bermuda cruise. Left NY all sunny and calm, next day waves crashing over our window on deck 7 on the Dreamward. Passengers as well as most of the crew were sick. Once we got to Bermuda the weather was perfect.

Sept. 2004---Majesty on the "in between Frances and Ivan" cruise. Did not know where we were going until we got on the ship. Made the best of it with a group that met here on CC and had a blast.:D

In '95 we sailed..Hurricane Felix...hit the week before we went to Bermuda on Song of America. We didn't know until we were out there that we were still headed towards Bermuda..horrible seas...people sick everywhere...

In '99, late for hurricane season, 11/22, we were on the plane to St. Thomas when the pilot announced that we weren't going anywhere...Hurricane Lenny had hit and planes were grounded...

Both turned out OK...

1992: Celebrity's Meridian (which has since sunk in Asia) to Bermuda... don't remember the categorization of the storm, but the restaurants were almost empty and the ship was rolling everywhere... barf bags, the whole 9 yards. That was an awful ship and i seriously feared for my safety.

2001: I forget the name of the hurricane, but i was on Carnival Destiny's southern caribbean route. When we got to Aruba, we were informed that we had to leave 8 hours earlier because they were closing the port (?? didn't get that, since Aruba doesn't get hurricanes). Nevertheless, we left early and the captain kept us in nice weather (with rough seas though) all the way back to San Juan. Carnival handeled the situation well.

Last August... Hurricane Charlie cancelled our flight to Orlando to catch the Carnival Glory in Port Canaveral... we couldn't get another flight and never made it to the ship. We then booked Voyager 5-day to Canada instead, and Carnival came through with a full credit for us which we used on the brand new Carnival Valor last January. No complains as to how Carnival handeled it, and missing the Glory was responsible for us trying RCCL... and we may never look back!;)

Archived