getting from Chalon sur Saone to Paris on own

imisseurope

Has anyone out there booked this on their own? I have pretty specific questions if you can recall the answers:

1) about how much USD was the one way fare? (approx.)

2) I understand you must change trains in Dijon-Is this difficult?

3) which station in Paris would you go to if you want to be as near to Louvre as possible (hotel across Tuilleries Gardens, on Rue de Rivoli )

Thanks so much!!!

If your river cruise offers transfer from Chalon to Lyon airport you can fly one way cheaply. Check Air France or ask your Travel Agent. If you need to fly out the day after cruise docks because of timing, there is a great hotel NH Lyon that is so close you can walk to the terminal. (Therefore, your ship transfer that drops you off at Lyon airport allows you to just walk over to the NH Lyon hotel).

Has anyone out there booked this on their own? I have pretty specific questions if you can recall the answers:

1) about how much USD was the one way fare? (approx.)

2) I understand you must change trains in Dijon-Is this difficult?

3) which station in Paris would you go to if you want to be as near to Louvre as possible (hotel across Tuilleries Gardens, on Rue de Rivoli )

Thanks so much!!!

We chose this option due to the bus ride to get to Lyon from the port and was very pleased with the experience (and it was our first time to ride a train in Europe). Check out the schedules and prices at raileurope.com. We transferred in Dijon and had to search to find an English speaking person to assist finding the gate, but made it in plenty of time. Not sure about the station close to the Louvre. We arrived at Gare Lyon and used a cab to get to our hotel at the airport. I am sure others will add their comments to assist you. Hope this helps a little.

B. Cole

We have done this. Checking on a random date in March, raileurope.com shows prices from $22 to over $100 depending on time of day and class.

It shows a 12:30 PM direct to Paris Gare de Lyon for $22, 2nd class, and $39 1st class.

In the past Raileurope had a pretty big mark-up on prices over what you could get in Europe but this seems to be changing. You can check on sncf.com , the French train system. It can be a frustrating site unless you have some knowledge of French.

Most, if not all, trains will arrive at Gare de Lyon. From there you could taxi or metro to you hotel.

Direct trains are nice but changing in Dijon should be fairly easy.

Archived