New Orleans, Jackson Sq parking ?

Sophia2007

Looking at driving into the french qtr on 3/24/12 - Sat around 6pm. After a loonnnnng drive from Indy (12 hrs), we are coming in to see a few sites. Want to see Jackson Square and the Cathedral.

Saw on google earth, some parking just south of the square near the river. Is this public parking and what is the entrance street to it? Or what would you suggest for parking around that area?

Then, I would like to drive to ACME Oyster house on Ibervile St. How about parking for that area? Need to make it as easy as possible for hubbie, or he wont want to bother coming into town. :rolleyes: Sit in the suburbs hotel and rest after the drive. Leaving on the Conquest the following Sun.

Thanks all for help!

The entrance to that lot is on St.Peter Street. There are other parking lots on Decatur, closer to Canal Street.

The best approach would be to drive north (away from Canal) along Decatur and grab the first lot you come to that has space.

The French Quarter is very compact.Acme is an easy walk from the area around the Cathedral. If the line outside Acme (and there will be one on Saturday evening) is too long, there is a place right across the street called Felix's, which is just about as good and not nearly as crowded.

We parked in the parking lot by the river behind Cafe du Monde and walked to Acme Oyster House.....Not a bad walk at all......We had been up 24 hours at that point and we wanted the Oysters BAD !!!!!!!! LOL We got in line @ 10:45am and we were 3rd in line......

052.jpg.546d834a2f5e0e7d3dbee38f98a22de0.jpg

I don't think most people realize how "compact" the French Quarter really is -- you can walk end-to-end (Canal to Esplanade) in about 15 minutes, less if you're on-a-mission walking. The walk from the parking along the Riverwalk/Woldenberg Park is just a few blocks...no more than a 10 minute walk -- slightly more if you're strolling at a New Orleans/Big Easy pace. :)

Unless you're going Uptown or to Mid-City, there's no reason (and it's a pain in the butt) to move your car around - park it and leave it for the day. You can walk/cab/streetcar everything in the downtown/FQ/Convention Center/Arts-Warehouse District. And it's a better way to see/get to know the city.

thanks for all the answers! No, I really didn't get the size of the area. I will be walking with 3 kids and expected it to take much longer or be too much or be too dangerous or see some "sites" not fit for children's eyes. :eek:

Now, I find out that I can take a bit more time off of work, so that will put us in the city earlier and we can see more!! Very excited! :D

So, another question; lunch where? and other dinner recommendations. Just made the rsvn at Springhill suites, downtown. So walking from there.

Thanks again :)

The parking lot between Cafe du Monde and the river is not free -- it's ticketed/paid (pass by a ticket machine, pay on the way out). There's also a big parking lot on the other side of the Jax Brewery building (Jax is the big building on the same side of the street, a block away from CdM.

Where to EAT? Where to start?? You've gotta narrow it down a little. What do you want? From Springhill Suites, you're close to Cochon and Butcher. Butcher is the more casual of the two (think: Cajun deli), and Cochon is more of a dinner place. Both from chef Donald Link (James Beard award winner, true Cajun, awesome guy). If you're in the FQ, I always recommend Stanley -- it's on Jackson Square (across from Cafe du Monde) -- great breakfast/brunch/lunch place. For po-boys in the FQ, Johnny's all the way.

If there's something specific you're looking for (atmosphere, type of food, location), let me know. You can also ask questions on a local food board like the New Orleans Food Forum or Nola Eats.

thanks NOLAtravelor.

Looking at maybe good seafood for lunch in the FQ area. Park near there and see the area - Jackson sq, cathedral, eat lunch. Perhaps go to the Sat afternoon mass at the cathedral.

Then move to parking and checking in at springhill suites. See the riverwalk area (not sure what is around there) and eat dinner close by.

Get a good nights rest, maybe some beignets at CdM in Riverwalk and get to the cruise!

Whooohooo, cant wait!:):p:)

For seafood, Deanies is hard to beat. It is at Dauphine and Iberville. That is a comfortable walk from the parking upriver from Jackson Brewery. Anything in the quarter is walking distance, even with children (I did it when I was 4, when we went on our first vacation down there).

Other places to eat: Camelia Grill (the new one in the Quarter is pretty good, if you can't make it to the old one at Carrolton and St. Charles), Cafe Amelie (Across the street from the Andrew Jackson Hotel).

You might find yourself liking the place so much you moved there. That's what happened to us. We later moved away, but every vacation I've taken in the last 6 years has involved New Orleans.

As far as keeping children's eyes out of trouble, just stay off Bourbon street, and if you do cross Bourbon, do it down river around St. Ann or something like that. There are a few bars up there, but all the adult facilities are upriver from there.

Yes, you can easy walk/roll to the port from Springhill Suites -- I think it's like 2 blocks? And our blocks are short... :)

Just remembered this piece on stuff to do outside the French Quarter w/ family. FQ is a big draw, but there's fun (and free) stuff to do all over the place.

14 reasons to get out of the French Quarter

Archived