tipping the maitre d

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

We've only tipped the MD once and that was on our at cruise on the Splendor. We had a table of 12 (family reunion) and the guy made dishes every night from his home country...just aps but delicious. He was paying us back because when we first board we found we were scattered all over the dining room and the waiter on the first night was found wanting. He really took care of us after getting a single table for all of us and replacing the waiter after the first night (not at our request though).

Put me in the group that only tips the Maitre D when he has done something for me. I am now in the habit of checking my seating assignment when I board and usually end up switching tables to a larger table in a better location.

When I was on Princess a couple years ago the Maitre D was over the top helpful. I ended up going solo for the first time because my traveling companion had to cancel at the last minute which I told him when asking to switch to a larger table. He also couldn't make the CC mixer I arranged. Every day he sent some kind of treat to my cabin, also he would stop to check on how my cruise was going every time I saw him around the ship.

I have read several times,(including on these boards) that they make very good money for their job. i will only tip them if they do something specifically for me and/or my table. My understanding is they make a nice monthly salary from the cruise line and the tips are only a bonus for him.

No along with the cd they annoy me. Every cruise they have the same lines,jokes and songs. My dog could do it and be far cuter. Hey I'm Joseph it's....show time....same line 6 years now....if your lucky he might let you say it...gag me! English as a second language I guess and lack of personality????

It's my understanding that their job is considered management, and they are paid well, at least compared to the service workers. So I've never even considered tipping them. I've also never made a request of them.

Have never had one come around to the table, not even on the last night when you wouls be tipping.

Only one Maitre'd that I found to be personable was on the Miracle, think his name was "Frankie". Gave a $5 tip. Generally, I would put $2 dollars in the envelope for the Maitre'd . I generally spend all my tip money on extra tips for the steward and the waiters.

Archived