Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

I just don't see the vessel returning to the same waters where the 'general public' would more than likely know what happened, it would be tough to market her in Europe. It could stay with Costa if they sent her elsewhere, I suppose.

I kinda see your point, maybe they wont keep her, who knows

So you suggest they'll slap a sticky on it and call it something else and trick those fine folks?

Considering they are in business to make money, yes, yes I do. You don't think they would paint 'Costa neoConcordia' on her and send her on her way, do you?

So if you are on a ship and something underwater is struck and the ship takes on water and starts to list to one side what do you do?? If your lifeboat is on the side that is higher in the water then how do they lower the lifeboats if the ship is listing at a angle and get the boat down without hitting the side of the ship. I know that they do swing the boats out on some sort of arm but if the list is bad enough and they try to lower how can they keep the lifeboats from striking the lower decks? Alternately if your lifeboat is on the low side of the ship what if passengers cannot get to those boats? THe drills I have attended just assume that everyone can get to their muster station and that they can successfully lower the life boats but under certain conditions if they can't then what???

Considering they are in business to make money, yes, yes I do. You don't think they would paint 'Costa neoConcordia' on her and send her on her way, do you?

Well, not to say which passengers suffered more, but the ones on the Splendor most certainly suffered a lot longer, and they didn't change a thing.

HEH. This is starting to get ridiculous. Was El Capitan seen with a big white canvas bag with a giant $ or E sign on it?

What do they mean " fleeing ship with the money"? Do they just pile up all cash on the ship in a big bag marked Swag and leave it sitting on the bridge for a quick getaway?

Well, not to say which passengers suffered more, but the ones on the Splendor most certainly suffered a lot longer, and they didn't change a thing.

True, but Splendor didn't 'sink' and no tragic deaths were associated with her power failure.

Anything is possible, just my opinion on what I think would happen.

It will be very interesting to get the official reportings and facts. Besides the loss of life, I'm still most upset on the Captain leaving the ship if this is in fact true. That alone, even if all the rest was proven to be mechanical, accident, etc., just totally amazes me and he should definitely lose his career over that and be held accountable for abandoning his crew and passengers.

I saw some questions on here in regards to the deck level of where passengers board the lifeboats on the Concordia. On the Carnival Destiny class ships (of which the Concordia is a cousin of) the lifeboats are tucked above the promonade deck. Therefore passengers board the lifeboats not on the promonade deck (like most ships) but on the deck the lifeboats are tucked in which would be the deck above the promonade deck. When the Carnival Destiny came out in 1996 I remember Carnival touting it as a very good saftey feature because passengers could just walk on board the lifeboats. They did not have to be lowered then boarded as on most ships of the time. Currently many new ships have this feature like the RCI's Oasis class, Celebrity's Solstice class and the NCL Epic.

I saw some questions on here in regards to the deck level of where passengers board the lifeboats. On the Carnival Destiny class ships (of which the Concordia is a cousin of) the lifeboats are tucked above the promonade deck. Therefore passengers board the lifeboat not on the promonade deck but the deck the lifeboats are tucked in which would be the deck above the promonade deck. When the Carnival Destiny came out in 1996 I remember Carnival touting it as a very good saftey feature because passengers could just board the boats. They did not have to be lowered then boarded. Currently many new ships have this like the Oasis, Solstice class and the NCL Epic.

Interesting, I was always under the impression they would be lowered then boarded from the Promenade Deck. That's how it's done on HAL's ships and they are newer.

It will be very interesting to get the official reportings and facts. Besides the loss of life, I'm still most upset on the Captain leaving the ship if this is in fact true. That alone, even if all the rest was proven to be mechanical, accident, etc., just totally amazes me and he should definitely lose his career over that and be held accountable for abandoning his crew and passengers.

Rest assured, no matter the outcome, he has lost his license. Most of us in the industry carry a Lloyds policy on our lost earnings due to losing our license for any reason.

Interesting, I was always under the impression they would be lowered then boarded from the Promenade Deck. That's how it's done on HAL's ships and they are newer.

That's right. I was on the Eurodam and that is where they were located and lowered from in case of such an emergency

Rest assured, no matter the outcome, he has lost his license. Most of us in the industry carry a Lloyds policy on our lost earnings due to losing our license for any reason.

But why would he do that? Seriously - do you have any thought on why he would leave the ship like that?

So if you are on a ship and something underwater is struck and the ship takes on water and starts to list to one side what do you do?? If your lifeboat is on the side that is higher in the water then how do they lower the lifeboats if the ship is listing at a angle and get the boat down without hitting the side of the ship. I know that they do swing the boats out on some sort of arm but if the list is bad enough and they try to lower how can they keep the lifeboats from striking the lower decks? Alternately if your lifeboat is on the low side of the ship what if passengers cannot get to those boats? THe drills I have attended just assume that everyone can get to their muster station and that they can successfully lower the life boats but under certain conditions if they can't then what???

I understand your concern but according to many news reports there was plenty of time to lower the boats before the ship began to list so badly. Many of the passengers reported that they were screaming at the crew to lower the boats and some even said that crewmembers called HQ to ask how to lower the boats because they didn't know how.

But why would he do that? Seriously - do you have any thought on why he would leave the ship like that?

Some reports said he was trying to take off with money and ordered the crew not to abandon the ship(which begs the question if a Captain told you that would you really heed that ridiculous order?) but I have seen a few reports of Captains doing this(not very often thank heavens) but I know one such news report where the reporters were asking the Captain why he left when there were so many passengers still on the ship(can't remember the ship that was involved) and he said point blank "in an event like this, they're on their own, I got my own hide to save." Makes me wonder how he even made it out of there alive after saying that

Some reports said he was trying to take off with money and ordered the crew not to abandon the ship(which begs the question if a Captain told you that would you really heed that ridiculous order?) but I have seen a few reports of Captains doing this(not very often thank heavens) but I know one such news report where the reporters were asking the Captain why he left when there were so many passengers still on the ship(can't remember the ship that was involved) and he said point blank "in an event like this, they're on their own, I got my own hide to save." Makes me wonder how he even made it out of there alive after saying that

Wow!!!

Archived