Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

Interesting article on BBC saying that the ship went close to the point of contact last August (and was approved by Costa), and the rock was not on the charts which could have been used.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16604154

I agree this is a very interesting development.

lloydsmap.jpg

The company said on Monday that the ship was never closer than 500m to the coast when it passed on 14 August. Lloyd's List describes that occasion as a "near miss" and says the ship's route would have been less than 200m away from the point of collision on Friday's voyage. Costa Cruises said on Monday that the route deviation last Friday had been "unauthorised, unapproved and unknown to Costa". But Richard Meade, the Editor of Lloyd's List, said: "The company's account of what happened, of the rogue master [Capt Schettino] taking a bad decision, isn't quite as black and white as they presented originally."

Unfortunately according to your graphic the accident most likely occurred within the bottom half of the circle to the left of the blue line. Both routes were risky but lucky for the August 14th cruise the rocks were missed. Do we know the speed of both ships when they took these routes? Were both captains manually navigating or on automatic? Many, many questions....

I agree this is a very interesting development.

lloydsmap.jpg

MrMCruse. Interesting article on BBC saying that the ship went close to the point of contact last August (and was approved by Costa), and the rock was not on the charts which could have been used.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16604154

BBC also has a map, and it shows contact to capsizing was only 40 mins. These ships are designed to be evacuated in approximately 3hours, so it probably took the bridge some time to figure out what was wrong and what systems were affected. 30 mins after contact, they made the turn meaning they probably gave up hope. The captain certainly has a part to play, but I think there is a lot that went wrong here, not just one thing.

Agree - a very critical piece of evidence. The video of the Aug 14 sail past of the Concordia (I believe under the captaincy of Massimo Garbarino Calisto) has probably already been on this thread several times but if you missed it here it is again:

http://video.corriere.it/nave-concordia-al-giglio-/9dfa5ea6-3e9b-11e1-8b52-5f77182bc574

It certainly looks close to the shore. Whether it just missed the rocks that Capt Schettino hit no doubt will be debated fiercely in the subsequent inquiries.

I am sure that Schettino’s lawyer has already latched onto this as it may be the only shred of a defence he has ie Precedence. Of course that will implicate the company so it will become a very nasty legal squabble with one trying to blame the other. What a tangled web.

Unfortunately according to your graphic the accident most likely occurred within the bottom half of the circle to the left of the blue line. Both routes were risky but lucky for the August 14th cruise the rocks were missed. Do we know the speed of both ships when they took these routes? Were both captains manually navigating or on automatic? Many, many questions....

The August route was approved by Costa, and the captain likely knew this. I can't help but think he must have had some smarts to him (to get to Captain), so I doubt all of the facts have come out yet.

The August route was approved by Costa, and the captain likely knew this. I can't help but think he must have had some smarts to him (to get to Captain), so I doubt all of the facts have come out yet.

History is full of egotistical idiots promoted to high levels of authority.

I love the earlier headline on http://www.huffingtonpost.com . It reads 'GET ON BOARD, DAMMIT!'. Thought that was kind of comical. Read the article (w/ Audio from captain) at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/17/costa-concordia-cruise-ship-audio-francesco-schettino_n_1210920.html .

And they have a slide show of many of the amateur videos... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/17/costa-concordia-cruise-ship-videos_n_1211790.html?ref=world

And then a full page cruise ad was placed next to the article about the Concordia in a Swedish newspaper (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/16/costa-concordia-cruise-advertisements_n_1209475.html)

One other thing I noticed re-watching that Aug 14 sail past was how absolutely pitch black it was outside of the lights. It also looked very dark from some of the rescue helicopter videos Jan 13.

Can you imagine what it was like trying to see the shore line (or does a ship have headlights?) on a cold Winter's night with nothing lit up like it was on Aug 14?

I guess he would also be relying on radar but that close to the shoreline I would like to SEE what I might hit especially with 114,500 X 15k tonne knots of momentum.

I am a little concerned that people may take the advice posted earlier and carry around all of their passport and credit information on a flash drive, which could be easily stolen, lost, etc. Am I wrong in thinking that this might be a dangerous thing to do? (I don't know that much about computers, but don't think the average person has a way to do a foolproof (if there is such a thing) encryption of the data.

Advice/opinions from some of you computer experts?

One other thing I noticed re-watching that Aug 14 sail past was how absolutely pitch black it was outside of the lights. It also looked very dark from some of the rescue helicopter videos Jan 13.

Can you imagine what it was like trying to see the shore line (or does a ship have headlights?) on a cold Winter's night with nothing lit up like it was on Aug 14?

I guess he would also be relying on radar but that close to the shoreline I would like to SEE what I might hit especially with 114,500 X 15k tonne knots of momentum.

One thing I like about being at the ranch, or offshore at night is the super black dark of night and seeing the stars.

Don't think the survivors were star gazing, but the dark that makes the star watching so nice definitely makes knowing where to safely go while getting off the side of the ship very dangerous.

I am thankful for the amount of folks who did survive and sad about the loss of life.

What makes it harder to believe is that it was all basically a stunt on the part of the licensed master.

I am a little concerned that people may take the advice posted earlier and carry around all of their passport and credit information on a flash drive, which could be easily stolen, lost, etc. Am I wrong in thinking that this might be a dangerous thing to do? (I don't know that much about computers, but don't think the average person has a way to do a foolproof (if there is such a thing) encryption of the data.

Much better to upload your scanned documents to a secure online server such as Cloud. If you have to swim to shore forget about hard copies or flash drives. Also if you have the copies and drives stored in your safe and you can't get to your cabin whether you have to swim to shore or not doesn't make a difference - you still can't get to the documents. Alternatively you can scan and email to yourself to a web based address but this might not be the most secure way.

Bottom line, I would go with an encrypted web based storage system that allows access from any computer anywhere in the world.

No, when I see all of that AND a court of law convicts him, I will believe that he is guilty. Until then, he is innocent. If you don't like that, then you should not live in the US or any other country that belives in "innocent until proven guilty".

we do not do not, as a country, believe in vigilante justice...

:D:D:D

You're unreal...

Listen, this is not a court here.

Even if the court will not find him guilty he still is!

There are two ways of being guilty or not. Legal and moral.

The last one is proven already, the first one has enough evidence to convince any judge in the world.

You can wait for a judge to rule him guilty, but everyone else in this world already knows that he is guilty, both, legal and moral.

We are not in court here, don't forget!

I highly doubt that he was fired over the phone, for 1 the big wigs wouldn't have known all the facts or the severity of the situation at that point, that's just him worried about himself again! Not to mention that they have released a statement that they will be paying his legal fees!

Nobody ever said he was fired.

No media, no official, no one...

And since this is EU and not US you can NOT be fired that easy!

Impossible.

REALLY are you in the same world as us? Are you not watching the news or reading the reports and not getting it??? Even in "his own words" HE refused to return to his duty, and thats after he caused this disaster just to be a show off which again HE admitted to by telling the officials why he was so close to shore. HE RAN while thousands of helpless people where left to fend for themselves! And where is he now, at home with his wife and daughter living life, while there are families out there just hoping that their loved ones are still breathing!! He is a worthless coward and he deserves to have his nuts cut off and serve way more time then 15yrs, cause after all he didn't have the balls to begin with to stand up and be a man and take responsibilty and uphold his duty as a Captain and take care of his ship. You must be his twin!!

I somehow think that's his lawyer or himself. :p

What makes it harder to believe is that it was all basically a stunt on the part of the licensed master.

Dave, I'm deleting everything you had to say...as good as it was, before this line.

Let's just leave your sentence alone, and then take one word, help me here if I'm wrong........."a stunt".

Maverick..in the film "Top Gun" did more than one stunt.......and then it killed his REO. That's just a movie, and leaving one alive.....out of two, not bad.

This guy, and David, you know me well enough and we both have knowledge beyond what is being said here, is not good enough to even run the ........well, I just don't want to go there.

He supposedly started as a safety officer, but looking at the company that we normally cruise with......Royal Caribbean, the Staff Captain is in charge of safety..........and it's drilled into his head until.....he, alone, can get everyone off of the ship safely.

He also gets to practice docking procedures, as the Captain allows.

Is this not the same procedure that Costa practices...under the rules of maritime law, and what is expected of them, both with Carnival, and Costa?

This is not the only person, that has been a commander of a vessel, that has been responsible for the problems that have lead to murder, and mayhem. Take Mr. Roberts. If you don't know it, look up, and watch the movie.

There are so many others......this guy just fits a factor of knowns and unknowns.......that Costa did not pick up on........or maybe they did, when he did his last "against company protocal" and got away with it.

So, Dave, now I leave it up to you, as a friend, to help solve this!

Rick

As I noted before, I'd never do it, I store online.

That said, if you are inclined to do so, Lexar makes a secureII drive, relatively easy to use and carries its own encryption software. 4GB for $9 should be fine for most people.

31R9zfNlLjL._AA300_.jpg

http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?lt1=_blank&bc1=000000&IS2=1&bg1=FFFFFF&fc1=000000&lc1=0000FF&t=visualbasicres02&o=1&p=8&l=as4&m=amazon&f=ifr&ref=ss_til&asins=B0027VT6QO

Is it also waterproof? If you have to swim to shore how useful is it? Does it have a landyard to tie it around your neck so you have it 24/7? :)

As I noted before, I'd never do it, I store online.

That said, if you are inclined to do so, Lexar makes a secureII drive, relatively easy to use and carries its own encryption software. 4GB for $9 should be fine for most people.

31R9zfNlLjL._AA300_.jpg

http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?lt1=_blank&bc1=000000&IS2=1&bg1=FFFFFF&fc1=000000&lc1=0000FF&t=visualbasicres02&o=1&p=8&l=as4&m=amazon&f=ifr&ref=ss_til&asins=B0027VT6QO

Much better to upload your scanned documents to a secure online server such as Cloud. If you have to swim to shore forget about hard copies or flash drives.

Bottom line, I would go with an encrypted web based storage system that allows access from any computer anywhere in the world.

I concur. This is the best way to retrieve your information at a later date and not be concerned with issues.

Cloud is your best bet.

Is it also waterproof? If you have to swim to shore how useful is it? Does it have a landyard to tie it around your neck so you have it 24/7? :)

Anything that is not waterproof can and should be kept in a Zip Lock Baggie. In fact, I think it best to use 2 zip lock bags as I have stored liquids in a single one and it leaked.

Edited to add: I just went and read a couple reviews of this product and discovered a serious flaw for those of us with Windows 7 (or any 64 bit computer system)"

Won't work with a 64-bit computer

I love this product due to the great security software. However, be aware, if you have a 64-bit computer, you will not be able to access the secure vaults (thus, no security). I have contacted Lexar and they were not able to offer any timeline as to when they would have a patch to fix this problem. There are more negative reviews of it here: http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-LJDSEP8GBASBNA-JumpDrive-Secure-Flash/product-reviews/B0027VT6QO/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Joanie

Agree - a very critical piece of evidence. The video of the Aug 14 sail past of the Concordia (I believe under the captaincy of Massimo Garbarino Calisto) has probably already been on this thread several times but if you missed it here it is again:

http://video.corriere.it/nave-concordia-al-giglio-/9dfa5ea6-3e9b-11e1-8b52-5f77182bc574

It certainly looks close to the shore. Whether it just missed the rocks that Capt Schettino hit no doubt will be debated fiercely in the subsequent inquiries.

I am sure that Schettino’s lawyer has already latched onto this as it may be the only shred of a defence he has ie Precedence. Of course that will implicate the company so it will become a very nasty legal squabble with one trying to blame the other. What a tangled web.

Agreed, but there is still a difference in these two scenarios. The sailing on August 14th didn't (luckily) end with a boulder in the side of the ship protruding from a 160ft gash and had corporate approval for a special regional event. We saw how the January 13th sailing resulted and from what we're being shown so far, without corporate approval and for personal, not publicity reasons.

Anything that is not waterproof can and should be kept in a Zip Lock Baggie. In fact, I think it best to use 2 zip lock bags as I have stored liquids in a single one and it leaked.

Joanie

Joanie - the waterproof thing was said in jest - the point is the best way to have immediate and secure access to any necessary documents is to store them safely online. That way you don't have to bring copies, flash drives, extra stuff, etc and on top of that have to store them in baggies and what not.

No, when I see all of that AND a court of law convicts him, I will believe that he is guilty. Until then, he is innocent. If you don't like that, then you should not live in the US or any other country that belives in "innocent until proven guilty".

we do not do not, as a country, believe in vigilante justice...

We do not have to BELIEVE "innocent until proven guilty"............only juries have to do that.

We have the freedom to believe, think and express what ever we want........even if it is wrong.......;)

Do we know the speed of both ships when they took these routes? Were both captains manually navigating or on automatic? Many, many questions....

I don't have any speed data on the earlier flyby except the video which someone could probably plot based on the landmarks. The AIS data for Concordia show going over 15 knots at time of impact. Press reports said the Captain was called to the bridge upon seeing the lights on Giglio Island. The press also reported that the Captain had disengaged the autopilot and was in manual mode. I suspect the Captain took the wheel probably when the ship made the first turn off the 278 degree track.

I don't have any speed data on the earlier flyby except the video which someone could probably plot based on the landmarks. The AIS data for Concordia show going over 15 knots at time of impact. Press reports said the Captain was called to the bridge upon seeing the lights on Giglio Island. The press also reported that the Captain had disengaged the autopilot and was in manual mode. I suspect the Captain took the wheel probably when the ship made the first turn off the 278 degree track.

I also assume that this would also factor into the speed in which it sailed past the island as well?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squat_effect

Archived