Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

Thank you.

Sure doesn't look like "Carnival's Homepage" to me! :)

It would make no sense for Carnival Corporation to publicize that story on their homepage.... and certainly not on the Carnival Cruise Lines homepage.

That is where I saw it. I am not lying. No need for that. I am only posting what I am reading and nothing more.

If it had been either of these, I would've assumed that the attractive young man was his son and the elderly woman was his mother. :rolleyes:

Don't actually know what you are getting at. For the most part, most of us have the same assumptions about her and they have nothing to do with her speaking Russian to help the Russian passengers with their evacuation.

What do you think she was there for? A "special guest" passenger on a Bridge Tour?

The fact that you can't understand what is so fundamentally wrong with your thinking just makes me sad.

I thought we left this crap behind us decades ago.

That is where I saw it. I am not lying. No need for that. I am only posting what I am reading and nothing more.

Hi.

Where did I say that you were lying?

I simply pointed out that the link you posted was NOT Carnival's homepage.

Again... thanks for posting the link. I was trolling all over the Carnival Corporation, Carnival News, and Carnival Cruise line, and Costa sites, unable to find anyplace where your story might even be referenced.

Hi.

Where did I say that you were lying?

I simply pointed out that the link you posted was NOT Carnival's homepage.

Again... thanks for posting the link. I was trolling all over the Carnival Corporation, Carnival News, and Carnival Cruise line, and Costa sites, unable to find anyplace where your story might even be referenced.

Perhaps the poster meant Costa's homepage.

http://www.costacruise.com/B2C/USA/Default.htm

I'm sure Carnival is wishing that its name wasn't so closely tied to Costa but as the Corporation is holding it...:rolleyes:

I'm sure Carnival is wishing that its name wasn't so closely tied to Costa but as the Corporation is holding it...:rolleyes:

Perhaps... Although I don't see reference to it there either.

It doesn't really matter, esp. now that the link is posted... That's all I was looking for.

Thanks!

I just went to the Costa Link you provided, Thank you:) And clicked on the 3rd video on the right. It took me to a You Tube page which has at the top right a video where the Costa Official (no idea who he is) discusses Law Suits.

NOW, I have not watched it in its entirety as I know people want this kind of info so I rushed back here to post the You Tube Link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O8Eh6qiOSQ&feature=relmfu

Joanie

Yes, Wikipedia. For one it is quicker to use if information is accurate, but more important to your claim, I am one of the editors of that article (check it out, I'm "deckofficer" there too) and many other maritime, electric vehicle, and automotive articles for that site. When I quote my own contributions, a link isn't needed, but since you folks appear to have such a disdain for me, the entire article is a good read and is here.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metacentric_height#Free_surface_effect

Try not to let the people get to you. There are always one or two who like to pick on people. Who knows why they target you. It happens to me to. Usually it is just blow hards who don't really know anything, but like to act like they do. Best just to move on, because they will not allow you to get the last word in, even if they have to follow you to an different thread that they have never posted in before.

I just went to the Costa Link you provided, Thank you:) And clicked on the 3rd video on the right. It took me to a You Tube page which has at the top right a video where the Costa Official (no idea who he is) discusses Law Suits.

NOW, I have not watched it in its entirety as I know people want this kind of info so I rushed back here to post the You Tube Link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O8Eh6qiOSQ&feature=relmfu

Joanie

Ah! Thanks for clearing that up! I had looked for articles/statements, not video. It all makes sense now.

The BIL is supposed to be angry because they put holes in the ship as part of the rescue effort? He thinks his making money is more important! Disgraceful person if true.

From what I read a Dutch company is doing the salvage. I have not seen Titan mentioned. I would take the supposed BIL report with a grain of salt...

Smit (from the Netherlands) and Titan (from Florida) are working together on the salvage. Google it. The two companies work together often. The BIL has been posting here since 12 hours after the sinking about his BIL's updates and Titan's involvement. He says in each post that it may not be hard facts, just passing along what he is hearing to interested CCers.

Try not to let the people get to you. There are always one or two who like to pick on people. Who knows why they target you. It happens to me to. Usually it is just blow hards who don't really know anything, but like to act like they do. Best just to move on, because they will not allow you to get the last word in, even if they have to follow you to an different thread that they have never posted in before.

I agree.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-01-19/concordia-is-at-high-risk-of-sinking-italian-minister-says.html

CONCORDIA IS AT HIGH RISK OF SINKING!

Can anyone on this forum tell me why the ship cannot be secured with heavy duty lines off of the nearby rocks. It seems to me that there should be many support lines pounded into the earth and fastened to the ship.

What is the engineering problems with that, as I am not an engineer?

Is it because the ship is so heavy, that with a violent surf all lines would give way in any event?

It seems to me that all costs the ship is saved from sinking!

Joanie

I brought it here without really checking what all was in it. After posting that, I went back and started looking at what all was in it.

I've seen the man you mention a few times tho I don't recall exactly who he is.

Every word that comes out is being carefully weighed so as not to come back and take a bigger bite out of the pie.

I brought it here without really checking what all was in it. After posting that, I went back and started looking at what all was in it.

I've seen the man you mention a few times tho I don't recall exactly who he is.

Every word that comes out is being carefully weighed so as not to come back and take a bigger bite out of the pie.

You cant stop them from filing, it doesnt mean it is going anywhere.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-01-19/concordia-is-at-high-risk-of-sinking-italian-minister-says.html

Can anyone on this forum tell me why the ship cannot be secured with heavy duty lines off of the nearby rocks. It seems to me that there should be many support lines pounded into the earth and fastened to the ship.

Is it because the ship is so heavy, that with a violent surf all lines would give way in any event?

I'm not an engineer either, but my guess would be that any lines attached to the ship to hold it towards shore would exert way too much pressure onto the attachment points and literally tear the ship apart. Picture parking your car on a hill, putting on the emergency brake, and bolting 4 cables into a rock at the top of the hill and to 4 points on the car. Then take off the emergency brake. The cables most likely would pull the quarterpanels/sheet metal off the car and snap back towards the top of the hill, tearing the car apart and sending it careening down the hill.

Maybe they can ask the villagers for sheets so they can tie them together and secure the ship like this couple had to do to escape.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/cruise-ship-passengers-tied-sheets-escape-ship/story?id=15371115

I have my home Placerville, so USNUZULOOSE in Sacramento is a neighbor, and I have a vacation residence just north of Lake Elsinore, so you too are also a neighbor. Is this just a coincidence my neighbors tolerate me? Probably not, but I do appreciate the support, thanks.

I have my home Placerville, so USNOZULOOSE in Sacramento is a neighbor, and I have a vacation residence just north of Lake Elsinore, so you too are also a neighbor. Is this just a coincidence my neighbors tolerate me? Probably not, but I do appreciate the support, thanks.

I used to live in Corona, Riverside, been to Lake Elsinore alot. Lived in Orange County as well.

A cubic foot of water weighs about 62.5 pounds. The ship is over 900 long and lets say a wave five feet high and ten feet across hits the ship. Then there is over 22,500 cubic feet of water hitting the ship or 1,406,250 pounds of water (times whatever speed the wave is moving at). Add the weight of the ship and the weight of the water inside the ship and you are going to need a lot of very strong steel cables to try and hold the ship.

Look at the engineering that goes into anchoring a suspension bridge and you will see that its takes a lot (both in strength and engineering) to hold up the amount of weight being discussed here.

A cubic foot of water weighs about 62.5 pounds. The ship is over 900 long and lets say a wave five feet high and ten feet across hits the ship. Then there is over 22,500 cubic feet of water hitting the ship or 1,406,250 pounds of water (times whatever speed the wave is moving at). Add the weight of the ship and the weight of the water inside the ship and you are going to need a lot of very strong steel cables to try and hold the ship.

Look at the engineering that goes into anchoring a suspension bridge and you will see that its takes a lot (both in strength and engineering) to hold up the amount of weight being discussed here.

That answer was SO MUCH BETTER than mine! Thank you. (Hangs head, embarrassed) :o

Not counting water and fittings, the ship weighs about 115,000 tons. Finding enough anchor points and high tensile cable alone would be a challenge. Mix in water, fuel, ocean movement, I don't think its feasible.

The anchor points alone would have to be dug, sunk several dozen feet and wait for concrete or other filler to set.

I believe the company was limited in how much it could do as long as the ship was under rescue/recovery mode.

Very early this morning (US time) I was watching a live video link and it looked like workers were on the ship, taking measurements, running lines. I also saw lines strung in the perimeters of the ship on the water, something that could not have been done with all the rescue boats going back and forth to the ship. From the looks of things they are preparing to start doing something with the ship itself. Unfortunately the website went down and I don't know if the lines were left there or just used for needed calculations.

A news clip I saw from this morning showed several people studying what looked to me the layout, a blueprint if you will, of the ship. Also looked like charts of the sea area were there too. I'm sure this is stuff that has been studied right along but still it may have been necessary for actual measurements of the ship in order to properly see how to appoarch this.

I used to live in Corona, Riverside, been to Lake Elsinore alot. Lived in Orange County as well.

Sounds like "Left Coasters Unite" now there are 3. My winter place is in the Corona zip code, small world. The resort I have a site at is the Glen Eden Sun Club, you heard of it, just off the 15 at Indian Truck Trail Rd?

Archived