Cozumel and Belize excursions - input?

2bner

We are leaving on the Sea May 14th and are planning on 2 excursions: the submarine in Cozumel and the Mayan ruins of Xanantunich (El Castillo) in Belize. Has anyone been on these excursions? I am looking for feedback and recommendations. Since my wife does not swim, the submarine seemed like the best way to view the marine life. Xanantunich is supposed to be one of the most archaelogically significant of the Mayan ruins in Belize. But not sure whether to do that or Altun Ha.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2bner: We just got back from both of those ports, and we did do the Atlantic submarine in Cozumel. We had our kids, ages 8 and 9, who wanted to see marine life without being in the water, it was awesome! The submarine goes 125 ft. below the surface, very cool! We saw all kinds of marine life, including two black tip sharks, and lemon shark, a sting ray, and tons of fish and coral formations. Very beautiful. The whole operation is run very professionally. I highly recommend it!

We ended up not booking ahead, but just taking a cab to their office (between the pier and downtown). We could have saved some $$ by booking online, but we still paid less than if we had booked through the ship.

Enjoy it!

I am booked with the Xunantunich excursion on the April 24th Miracle sailing. I will make sure I post how it is. You can't find hardly any information worth anything over here the Belize Ports of Call board. Everyone is worried about the cave tubing, and apparently only one or two people have ever been on the Xunantunich excursion. Very frustrating! :)

BoatGirl,

Really appreciate the heads up on the submarine, sounds like fun. Others have said that they enjoyed it, but it was uncomfortable because you had to bend over or contort your body to see out the port holes.

tankersbabe,

The little information that I have found on Xunantunich does not provide the details to make an informed decision. I did find a review that indicated that the ride though long takes you through the Belize country side (89 miles) and that it is well worth the rather long trip. I look forward to hearing back from you when you return from your cruise.

THANKS!

BoatGirl,

Really appreciate the heads up on the submarine, sounds like fun. Others have said that they enjoyed it, but it was uncomfortable because you had to bend over or contort your body to see out the port holes.

tankersbabe,

The little information that I have found on Xunantunich does not provide the details to make an informed decision. I did find a review that indicated that the ride though long takes you through the Belize country side (89 miles) and that it is well worth the rather long trip. I look forward to hearing back from you when you return from your cruise.

THANKS!

Same information I got...LOL! We'll find out and I will post upon my return about the trip.

Stef

Hi 2bner:

A while back, when we were making our decision, I had searched this forum for information -- we were trying to choose between Lamanai and Xunantunich. This link will take you to an article with LOTS of information on Belize: http://www.turq.net/belizefirst/download/BestofCaribCoast.pdf

There is, one page 11, the writer's opinion on which ruins to see. It ranks Lamanai ahead of Xunantunich, if you have time. In addition, we thought the boat ride sounded fun, so that's the one we're doing this time. I've been to Altun Ha, and thought it was interesting, so I'm sure an even bigger site will be more interesting.

It does have some other interesting information, including the fact that, in the writer's opinion, the time frame between Easter and June is their choice of time to go -- I was happy to see that one :D .

Ute_Fan,

You have given us very good advice previously and Lamanai may be a better excursion for us as well. The article was very informative and I recommend it to others. If we do decide to do Lamanai, I will definitely book it through the cruise due to the amount of time it will take. That way I can be assured that the ship will not leave without us.

We are still thinking about the submarine in Cozumel, but will probably wait and play it by ear.

30 more days! I wish I could sleep the entire 30 days, wake up refreshed and not have to sleep for a week; don't want to miss anything.

THANKS!

Me too! I got up this morning and said to my teenage daughter "Just think, in a month we'll be sailing on the ship and eating cold soup." My kids think I'm nuts!

We did book the Lamanai excursion through the ship -- I already registered. If you decide that's the correct one for you, we'll have to try and meet up somewhere. In Belize, particularly on this long an excursion, I just wouldn't dare to book independently. Maybe for something close to Belize city where I had 2 or 3 hours leeway, but this excursion looks like it takes all day. I want the Sea to still be there when I get back :D .

Me too! I got up this morning and said to my teenage daughter "Just think, in a month we'll be sailing on the ship and eating cold soup." My kids think I'm nuts!

We did book the Lamanai excursion through the ship -- I already registered. If you decide that's the correct one for you, we'll have to try and meet up somewhere. In Belize, particularly on this long an excursion, I just wouldn't dare to book independently. Maybe for something close to Belize city where I had 2 or 3 hours leeway, but this excursion looks like it takes all day. I want the Sea to still be there when I get back :D .

I really wanted to go on the Lamanai excursion...but it is not offered through our sailing...we aren't in port on the Miracle long enough. So we opted for Xunantunich...I just wasn't willing to ride in an uncovered boat in the sun for as long as it takes to get there...I burn EASY, so a bus is better...

Thanks for the article! Very cool!

I also burn real easily. Do you know for sure if all the boats are uncovered? My only reason for asking is that, somewhere on this board, there is a link to a video clip of this tour. In it the boat appears to be covered. If it's not going to be, I'd better make sure and bathe in sunscreen before leaving -- probably better plan on it anyway.

I also burn real easily. Do you know for sure if all the boats are uncovered? My only reason for asking is that, somewhere on this board, there is a link to a video clip of this tour. In it the boat appears to be covered. If it's not going to be, I'd better make sure and bathe in sunscreen before leaving -- probably better plan on it anyway.

I had heard that it was uncovered...I would bathe in the sunscreen just to be on the safe side...they may use a different boat on different days...you never know.

After reading additional information, I may want to stick with Xunantunich. The ride to Xunantunich is in an airconditioned bus, while the trip to Lamanai does include a long ride in an open boat. Also, the walk to the ruins at Lamanai is on uneven ground and takes about 15 to 20 minutes or brisk walking. Xunantunich is not much of a walk, but the steps up the pyramid are steep.

So, Xunantunich here we come. LOL!

Archived