Valor Photo Review ~ January 1-8 ~ Western: Westin, Chankanaab, Bannister, Maya Key

Aviendah

I love your photo review so far - lovely pictures! Thanks for taking the time to share. I too, search for photos to anticipate our next cruise experience so it is nice when someone comes back and posts their photos/reviews.

We did this itinerary a couple of years ago on the Valor and I would definitely do it again.

Love the photos! What lens did you use?

I am a photographer and have been going back and forth about bringing my 5D MKII...I don't want to break it or tote it around, and all my lenses (besides the kit) are for portraits. I am torn. I have a crappy P&S I could use instead or when we are near sand.

Decisions decisions....

I really debated hard on this one! I haven't taken enough time to figure out my camera but I love taking photos. Most of what I shoot is in the Auto mode to be honest. I brought my Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home camera bag and put chargers in a separate case. It was a lot to lug around but it was worth it to me to have the visual memories. I make Shutterfly albums of all our trips so even though the family gets tired of holding cameras at times, they love the books. I put my Crumpler bag inside my beach bag when in port. I found myself using the Sigma for most of my shots. I got it right before we left and I couldn't put it down! It does create some distortion at the widest point but I'm not a professional so it doesn't bother me overmuch. I can fix some of it in Photoshop Elements if I take the time.

• Nikon D40 (got the super wide lens instead of upgrading the camera body)
  • SB 400 Flash with diffuser
  • Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD LD
  • Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
  • Canon PowerShot SD980IS with Canon underwater housing
  • Sony HD Handycam

I visited the photography discussion forum on these boards and got some really good advice. I'll post the link here.

Super Wide Lens Discussion

Edited by Aviendah

Love the photos! What lens did you use?

I am a photographer and have been going back and forth about bringing my 5D MKII...I don't want to break it or tote it around, and all my lenses (besides the kit) are for portraits. I am torn. I have a crappy P&S I could use instead or when we are near sand.

Decisions decisions....

I'm going to have to bring my camera and lenses...can't bear to think that I missed that perfect shot because I brought the wrong camera.

I think for ports I'm going to limit myself to two lenses though, and leave the accoutrement in the room :)

Thank you for the kind comments about these photos! I'm really a newbie with my DSLR. For this cruise I purchased a super wide angle lens and I was amazed at how much I could get into the picture. I didn't realize how many photos I would post on this review and I have many, many more. I also have the Fun Times and other papers I'll post as well. When we booked the Valor I searched this forum for days looking for detailed photos so I hope my efforts will prove useful for someone else. Thank you for reading!

Love your pictures. We're booked on Valor&GloryB2B in Dec. I can't get enough info for my daily cruise fix 'til then. Looks like this will be the bigest ship we'll have sailed.

January 4th ~ Cozumel

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Chankanaab ~ We decided to try Chankanaab since the boys wanted to snorkel. Based on reviews it had everything we wanted; sand, drinks and shore snorkeling. The reef there was pretty much dead but there are some fish and statues to be seen for beginner snorkelers. We did experience some stinging from small jellyfish we couldn't see closer to shore. I don't think this was a common occurrence but many people were complaining as they exited the water. Chankanaab is beautiful and we enjoyed the atmosphere greatly.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Thank you, thank you, thank you…for the great photos of the balcony on this deck. We are in cabin 1102 on the March 3rd sailing and I have been wanting to see how open they are!! I also loved the pic with your son laying on the chairs pulled together. My husband loves to do that and sleeps out there most nights! Have to make sure he's not to far toward the railing so people don't throw things on him!! Thanks again for all the wonderful pics:)

Thank you so much for the wonderful pictures of the Carnival Valor and your cruise. After sailing with Royal Caribbean for many years, we are returning to Carnival next summer and will be on the Valor on June 9, 2012. Your pictures are very helpful to us in getting an idea of what to expect.

I, too, am curious about your camera and lenses. Our daughter is an amateur photographer and sold me her Canon EOS DSLR last summer when she upgraded. So, I only have the standard lens right now, but if a wide angle lens will help, I may consider getting one, too.

Looks like y'all had fantastic weather and that really helps the pictures look that much better, I'm sure. I usually am afraid to take the good camera on shore excursions if we will be snorkeling as I do not want to leave it on the beach or on the excursion boat while we are in the water. So, I usually just take the pocket P&S digital camera and/or the underwater camera on those trips. If we are just touring around without doing any water activities, I will take the good, expensive camera.

Thanks, again, for posting your photos. I look forward to the rest of them.

ry%3D480

Bannister Island ~ Carnival Excursion

We chose the Bannister Island excursion because we wanted to go to a beach. The morning had some light rain and was a bit chilly. This is the first cruise I made full use of my fleece jacket the whole trip. Bannister is very charming visually; I loved the photo opportunities. The snorkeling is not good however for beginners it will suffice. There are a few small fish and starfish if you search for them. The beach is sandy with grass further out and there is not any reef to be seen from the swimming area.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Edited by Aviendah