Carnival vs Princess

golfb4cruzing

Lots of passengers over 70 on Princess. We saw more oxygen tanks than children the one time we were on the Princess Diamond. Admittedly, we only tried it once and it was Alaska early in the season, but dang that ship was full of great grand parents! 90% of passengers in bed by 9pm. Hubby said never again, at least not until we get to be that age.

We have done Alaska cruises on the Diamond, Dawn and Sea Princess and I think that the demographic you describe is definitely the result of it being early in the season. We always go between mid-June and mid-August when our kids are out of school and there have always been lots of kids and families onboard.

We've done and continue to do both Princess and Carnival and although enjoy both we prefer Princess. For us it depends on itinerary and price. We just completed a 10 day Panama Canal cruise over the holidays with Princess and are booked on a 12 day Meditteranean this summer with Carnival. We usually travel with our 2 boys (ages 10 and 12) and they also prefer Princess primarily for the food, but we'll have to wait and see what their response is to the new Carnival Breeze is. There are so many new amenities and dining venues on board that they may prefer the Breeze to other Princess ships!! Each line has it's own style and there are things we prefer on each.

With respect to Princess not have chicken fingers in the MDR, that is incorrect. Princess has a separate Children's menu that has chicken fingers, burgers, etc. that is available every night. I am certain if someone wanted chicken fingers (or any other kid friendly option) all you would have to do is ask your server and they would be more than pleased to provide you with this option.

We also like Princess better because it provides more dancing options in the evening. Not only is there a disco, but there is alway dancing to a live band available (ballroom and latin) usually in the Wheelhouse bar and the main ship band playing somewhere else (Caribbean music, etc.).

I disagree. We were on the Crown Last Feb. and the only place other than the disco that had live music after 9pm was the Wheelhouse. Unfortunately the band that was playing was pretty lame. Not only that, but two old (70s) drunk guys that could hardly stand, asked my wife to dance. After she graciously declined, and I kid you not, the guy says to my wife; "I don't want to have sex...I just want to dance. TRUE STORY! Unfortunately that was the highlight of our evenings entertainment. We had good laugh.

Just a quick question to folks that have done both. After 5 Carnivals, Princess had a perfect itinerary and better price, so I booked. Reading their boards, I am wondering if the cruises are as boring and stuffy as they are on the boards. I don't need them to make our cruise but a little atmosphere would help. I'd hate to be the only mule in the pasture.

Our experience with Princess was not a good one. It was wall-to-wall wheel chairs, motorized wheelchairs and walkers. We couldn't hardly walk in the hallways without dodging them. The buffet line was even miserable, it took forever to get our food, and even more difficult to find a table to sit at. Never again will we cruise Princess. My friend who just returned from a Caribbean cruise experienced the same thing. We're in the process of planning a cruise and it won't be on Princess.

Just a quick question to folks that have done both. After 5 Carnivals, Princess had a perfect itinerary and better price, so I booked. Reading their boards, I am wondering if the cruises are as boring and stuffy as they are on the boards. I don't need them to make our cruise but a little atmosphere would help. I'd hate to be the only mule in the pasture.

Have cruised on both and are cruising in April on Carnival. We are laid back and had a great time on Princess. Our last cruise on Princess was to the British Isles and with over 4000 passengers we rarely saw any kids, and one was in our group. No rowdy passengers or drunks. Not that we ever saw those on Carnival. The entertainment was wonderful, and Princess is so organized. We are giving Carnival another try because one couple in our group would only go if we sailed on Carnival. Had a terrible experience with self-disembarking on Carnival in 2007 and had almost given up on them. Found people dressed similar on both lines during the day, and more suits & ties on Princess at night. Hey they both cook your food, fix your drinks and clean your room, and entertain you that's a win win with me. Go with an open mind and you will have a great cruise on either cruise line.

• 1 month later...
Our experience with Princess was not a good one. It was wall-to-wall wheel chairs, motorized wheelchairs and walkers. We couldn't hardly walk in the hallways without dodging them. The buffet line was even miserable, it took forever to get our food, and even more difficult to find a table to sit at. Never again will we cruise Princess. My friend who just returned from a Caribbean cruise experienced the same thing. We're in the process of planning a cruise and it won't be on Princess.

Never saw it that bad, but I suppose it depends on the particular cruise. I was on a Carnival cruise in december, but just booked a Princess cruise for next month. Each line does some things better. Comparing balcony room to balcony room, I like Carnival's room more as it's larger and with a couch. Still, the Princess minisuite is fantastic, and my first choice on that line. I still feel Princess is a bit more refined (at least it was on my first two Princess cruises). I could have been platinum by now if I just stuck to carnival, but then I would have missed out on trying something different. I don't want this to get stale so I want to try different lines. Hope to fit Holland America in there soon.

Jim

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

It has been a while since we have sailed on Princess but what I did like was there Movies Under the Stars. If I am not mistaken there were cushions on the loungers, blankets and popcorn. I know that on the Dream 2 weeks ago they also offered popcorn but I liked the cushions and blankets, when you are sunburned the wind can get a little chilly and the blankets were wonderful... It has been 7 years since cruising with Princess and not sure if they still offer this or not but if they do YAY!!!

Both are great and have different options that will appeal to different folks... :D

Yes they are! Lol, we were previously Princess only cruisers, I've sailed with them 5 times, though they have a wonderful product with delicious food, nice closet space, friendly enough staff (have had a few bad apples) and amazing suite amenities, they are BORING!!!!! Not to mention you'll find yourself cruising along with about 20% of "nice, normal" cruisers, while the majority are either elderly and MEAN, when I say mean what I'm really saying is rude, rude to the staff and pax, constantly trying to run you ocher in scooters while you're trying to jump out of the way and trip over someone else's walker. The other part of that majority are upperclass snobs who find it rather enlightening to belittle the staff and critique EVERY fellow pax clothing, weight, job titles and actions.

I am not trying to scare you, I am just being brutally honest from my own opinion. We have always enjoyed our cruises with them (except one) and just got off of the sapphire princess last April, 14 day Hawaii in a suite! It was wonderful, BUT, BORING!!! We make our own fun, so its okay. We were SHOCKED when we Decided to jump back to carnival after 10 years, we had SO much fun, just couldn't believe it! Now carnival is our line of choice. I WILL sail princess again I'm sure, I don't doubt that, and please know these are just my opinions, take them with a grain of salt. Go, don't hold them to high expectations, and do like we do and bring cards, dominos, UNO and other things to keep you entertained and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. I'm not a cheerleader enough to say that, regardless you're on a cruise and no cruise is a bad one because I know different, but if you go in with low expectations you'll have a great time! -Val-

Agree, just plain boring. Once was enough

• 1 month later...

I have sailed with both cruise lines (I'm 66) and by far prefer Carnival. While I enjoyed Princess I rally found it very dull and boring compared to Carnival. I found the entertainment better on Carnival and thought the food was comparatively the same, possible giving Princess the edge on the breakfast buffet. I'm not a rowdy party animal (anymore) but did enjoy the more active crowd on the Carnival cruises I've been on.

We have cruised both lines twice. What some call boring may just be a different taste for enjoyment. While Carnival has Joe Farcus inspired colors which are truly creative; Princess has brown and white marble ringed with brass, and equally as attractive. The Ruby Princess has "Crooners" Martini bar with a subdued pianist and Carnival has a colorful sing along piano bar. It's all a matter of taste. We are mid 40's and love it all. NCL, Princess, RCCL and Carnival. How many cruisers our age have spent 61 days at sea and had so varied an experience? Have no heartburn for trying something new!

I did my Alaska cruise on Princess. It was definitely a different atmosphere than Carnival, but I wouldn't call it "stuffy"...and if you're looking at a Caribbean cruise it will probably be even more lively than my Alaska cruise was :)

The oceanview room (lowest level) I had on the Carnival Valor in 2005 was bigger than the balcony room I had on the Sapphire Princess in 2008, which was weird to me.

I thought the food and service on Princess were good, but in general would say that they were on par with anything I've received on Carnival - certainly not better, which I had kind of expected considering the pretty big price difference (my parents had balcony rooms on the same Carnival and Princess cruises as the ones I went to - we cruised Alaska in May which is technically one of the cheapest times to cruise there, and we cruised Carnival in the height of summer which is usually one of their more expensive times) and their balcony on the Sapphire was nearly twice the price of their balcony on the Valor.

Archived