MArdi Gras World

hlb76

Have you even been? Is it worth it? I know everyone opinion is different but I was wondering what you liked or did not like. I think I might find it neat just not sure about the hubby and kids (boys)

We have been to fund-raisers at MGW. Blaine Kern builds the most spectacular floats for Mardi Gras, and it is really interesting to view them up close and see how they are built and how they work.

I guess it's mostly a metter of taste, but well worth while.

Have you even been? Is it worth it? I know everyone opinion is different but I was wondering what you liked or did not like. I think I might find it neat just not sure about the hubby and kids (boys)

I have been for the tour and attended events and I think it is a pretty cool place, and a very unique business. My husband and son (12) liked it as well. You can get on (some) of the floats, info on how they are constructed, etc. and there is a (short) movie. Lots of fun photo ops as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard that the Steamboat AMERICAN QUEEN will be using the wharf at Blaine Kerns as their landing place when in New Orleans. That could be a little lagniappe for the boat's passengers and the BK visitors those days!

• 3 weeks later...
I've heard that the Steamboat AMERICAN QUEEN will be using the wharf at Blaine Kerns as their landing place when in New Orleans. That could be a little lagniappe for the boat's passengers and the BK visitors those days!

Hi Calliope,

As you know MGW actually uses the old Delta Steamboat Company's actual old wharf site for their use now. So there is historical reasons for Steamboat American Queen to use that wharf site.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard from a very good source that it's for monetary reasons that the AMERICAN QUEEN will be using the wharf at Mardi Gras World. The landing fee that MGW is charging is a fraction of what the New Orleans Harbor Commission wanted for use of other landing places.

We spent a couple of hours there last January. Folks get a chance to try a piece of "King Cake" and there are costumes you can wear and take silly photos in. Depending on how close to Mardi Gras you visit, you will either see floats being constructed or deconstructed. Either way, it was a fun way to spend some time.

Archived