Allure Western Caribb: Can you see other islands from the Ship? Cuba? Anguilla?

hwfiv

In looking at the routing and map of where we'll be going on the Allure on our Western Caribbean trip, it looks like we'll be passing some interesting places, like Cuba and Anguilla.

Does anyone know if the ship is ever close enough to get some pictures? I have a very powerful long range lens, and would love to get some shots of places like Cuba, that we can't travel to as Americans.

Just curious if we're even in the realm of being able to see some of these islands that we "pass by".

You will definately see Cuba- it's a large very populous place. But the ships are very far off the coast. Mostly you will see the lights twinkling at night and how mountainous it is. I've used my binoculars and still don't get a great view.

If Cuba really interests you, you do know you can visit from another country? I know folks who have gone to other gateways in South America and booked a trip from there to Cuba and back to the SA gateway.

Of course you might want to consider that traveling there could cause issues for you if you require security clearances or hope to work with or for the government or military one day.

I know that on most Western cruises I have been on you are close enough to see Cuba. I as well pack my portable radio (small Walkman- yes they still sell them) so I can listen to local radio stations while in route on the cruise.

Thanks! I'm so excited to know this. Even if it's not a great view, it's still kind of cool to be able to see some of Cuba.

Although, with all due respect to the recent Costa tragedy, my guess is the the captain of the Allure, being the biggest ship in the ocean, is going to want to be as FAR away from land as possible, unless it's a port he's planning to dock at.

Yep, you'll definitely be able to see Cuba. Just last week I was able to see Cuba from the Oasis's Western cruise. I couldn't believe that I could actually see it, as I'm vision impaired. I looked for it all day, but didn't notice it until early evening and saw land/lights from our starboard balcony.

Archived