How Long in Rhodes Old Town?

account4fun

How much time do you need to walk around Rhodes Old Town and see the shops, eat, take pictures etc? We will be in port from 9-6 and we booked a trip to lindos from 9:30 - 2:00. Will we have enough time afterwards to see and appreciate Old Town before all aboard?

Edit - Oops I just realized I posted this to the Italy board. Well we'll see what I get in both places :)

4 hours is not long but you can do a quick walkabout taking in the shopping area. It does preclude you from spending any time in the Palace or walking some of the streets but there is tome to get a flavor of it.

Lindos is nice but I preferred the Old Town myself.

It takes just over an hour to get from the port to Lindos.

We were just there in November, 2011, we took a taxi to Lindos, spent until 1:15pm there, then headed back to Old Town, we walked around and up to the Churches and Mosque, it was only about a 10-15 minute walk back to the ship. We enjoyed walking around and window shopping.

I think your timing will be perfect. Rhodes was a bit of an unexpected surprise for us on our Louis Cruise in August 2010. It was the only port where we had essentially a full day on land. I don't remember exactly ...

... long break as I realized I have trip photos on my hard drive here and I can check the times of the photos. It looks like we slept in that morning, had a leisurely breakfast and probably got ready to disembark around 10:15. I have a photo looking back at the ship at 10:44 am. We wandered through the old town for well over an hour. We didn't go into the castle and I don't think we bought anything except some cold drinks. My last photo in the old town is 11:45, and I remember we walked around a bit more and then went back to the ship for lunch -- probably around 12:30.

We spent the afternoon at Elli Beach, which worked out really well. In any event, if you're back at 2:00, you'll have plenty of time to walk through the old town. We certainly didn't cover every street, but we saw enough to get a very good feel for it and to get to the point where we were ready to have lunch and then go to the beach.

I also think that your timing is perfect - my DH and I did the same thing last March. The tour was great - we saw some things around Rhodes town first, then drove out to Lindos and had loads of time there. We even had time on the way back from Lindos to stop at a little family owned pottery workshop (at our request) and spent a good half hour there watching them work.

We had plenty of time in the Old Town to wander around the shops, then sit down for a drink and people watch. My DH loved the giant beers served in mugs shaped like cowboy boots, lol!

Archived