Concordia Captain "tripped and fell" into lifeboat, really??

darrengs

That denial of the problem that existed...big time...is really the cruz of the whole episode to me.

The Coast Guard had to calll them and they downplayed, no actually, lied about the condition of the ship.

Okay, so you may say, perhaps they didn't know that they had hit a rock and ripped a big hole in the boat.

But hey, they had to have known they hit something.

The passengers knew something was up.

Shouldn't the professional seamen have known too?

Were they embarassed and trying to handle it themselves and keep it on the downlow instead of asking for help that could have saved lives?

Seriously, that captain makes himself look worse and worse every day.

One thing I would like to know from maybe someone who is familiar with sailing a large ship like that- once he hit the rocks, he turned toward land- his lawyer has said he did that to get the boat to shallower waters so the ship wouldn't sink and people would be able to get off. Others say he should have stopped where he was and evacuated the ship immediately, and if he had done that then there would have been less loss of life because instead of taking another hour for him to steer the boat toward land everyone would have had another hour to get off. Anyone have any input about this?

Was it better that he steered toward land, or should he have evacuated sooner?

If he had evacuated sooner, there is no guarantee there would have been less loss of life but it is guaranteed the ship would have probably sunk (deeper than it currently has sunk, as it is now resting on a shelf under the water).

If he hadn't steered toward land, there could have been more time to evacuate but those that swam to shore would not have been able to do so, but also the ship probably wouldn't have tilted over.

The question that has to be answered is how the bridge allowed this ship to venture into shallow water in the first place. Anyone who owns a smallcraft boat no,s that there depth finder alarm goes crazy when you approach low water. There,s no way crew members on that bridge didn,t hear the alarms going off warning them they where in danger of running aground. No way. Somethings way off here.

So very true, for the life of me I can't understand why they wouLd lie about it. Did they think they could "fix" it themselves. Didn't they know these $500M ships are tracked? I mean it's so stupid because everything Schetino reported (no just a blackout, nope I was last to leave, nope, it was an unchartered rock,) can be so easily disproved. Did he not get that? I mean ***????

That denial of the problem that existed...big time...is really the cruz of the whole episode to me.

The Coast Guard had to calll them and they downplayed, no actually, lied about the condition of the ship.

Okay, so you may say, perhaps they didn't know that they had hit a rock and ripped a big hole in the boat.

But hey, they had to have known they hit something.

The passengers knew something was up.

Shouldn't the professional seamen have known too?

Were they embarassed and trying to handle it themselves and keep it on the downlow instead of asking for help that could have saved lives?

So very true, for the life of me I can't understand why they wouLd lie about it. Did they think they could "fix" it themselves. Didn't they know these $500M ships are tracked? I mean it's so stupid because everything Schetino reported (no just a blackout, nope I was last to leave, nope, it was an unchartered rock,) can be so easily disproved. Did he not get that? I mean ***????

I wonder.

The ship's captain has all those people who work onboard bowing and scraping to him.

All those kids from places where people are very poor who really need their jobs.

And he has many passengers who want his attention gushing over him.

Passengers who want to shake his hand and eat at his table and take his picture and kiss his rear end.

Blonde women who want to come onboard to visit with him.

He is like a celebrity or a king in his own little world.

Maybe it is a bit much for some to handle.

I wonder.

The ship's captain has all those people who work onboard bowing and scraping to him.

All those kids from places where people are very poor who really need their jobs.

And he has many passengers who want his attention gushing over him.

Passengers who want to shake his hand and eat at his table and take his picture and kiss his rear end.

Blonde women who want to come onboard to visit with him.

He is like a celebrity or a king in his own little world.

Maybe it is a bit much for some to handle.

The way I see it, I really dont care if I meet the captain, as this man as many duties to perform . I am more comfortable knowing he is doing his duty and not entertaing me.

I hear you. Either that or that little gerbil in his brain just got gassed about 30 min prior to impact. I just can't understand why this guy would act and lie thE way he has other than he is truly just narcissistic and delusional ( MY WORD WON'T BE CHALLENGED, EVEN THOUGH I JUST CRASHED A $500M VESSEL, AFTER ALL-! I AM EL COMMANDANTE) dumb as hell, or under the influence

According to an interview with French military officer Ophelie Gondelle and French policeman David Du Pays who were passengers on the ship and were in the same lifeboat with the captain and his senior officers, the captain was wrapped in a blanket. I guess when he tripped he fortuitously managed to grap a blanket during his fall.

Guess his 2nd and 3rd officers must have tripped too since they were all in the same lifeboat. COWARDS.

For me, the audio recording between the Port Authority and the Captain says it all.

Bravo to the Port Authority, the rescuers on land, the off duty Captain Bosio and the brave staff that actually helped. The Captain just keeps digging himself into a deeper hole.

I totally agree with you! The audio tape with the Port Authority telling him to get back on the ship and him saying he didn't want to because it was dark says it all! COWARD!

According to an interview with French military officer Ophelie Gondelle and French policeman David Du Pays who were passengers on the ship and were in the same lifeboat with the captain and his senior officers, the captain was wrapped in a blanket. I guess when he tripped he fortuitously managed to grap a blanket during his fall.

Nonsense. I'm sure that wasn't a blanket, but a rare form of ray that attacked him as he fell into the boat. ;)

All kidding aside.... my heart aches for the people still missing, and I'm completely and utterly amazed at the amount of stupid displayed after the capsizing, and the idiotic bravado/display of ego prior to the accident.

Just when I think it can't get worse/dumber...

Wrapped in a blanket, cold and with wet socks.

I wonder if he didn't run down to the flooded engine room (or as far as the waters would allow him) to catch a glimpse of his destruction. And then... hurried back with 2nd-in-Command in tow and trip into a lifeboat. A special lifeboat. On deck 3. A lifeboat with the inability to turn and head back to it's mothership.

I have a feeling the name Schettino is about to enter the urban dictionary as a synonym for "chicken", especially the type who chickens out and then makes a stupid excuse. Kids in schoolyards will be saying "Nyah, nyah, you bloody Schettino".

Or the name Schettino = Cretino (Cretin in Italian)

The way I see it, I really dont care if I meet the captain, as this man as many duties to perform . I am more comfortable knowing he is doing his duty and not entertaing me.

I have always felt the same way , people line up to meet him , or so I have been told, never have met a capt on 12 cruises. I am with you i would rather he be doing his job or over seeing those who are doing it rather than doing some dog and pony show.

Archived