self assisted debarkation

Candie

If you opt for the self assisted debarkation does this mean that you can disembark at any time during the process? It's nice to not have to let go of your bags the night before and we thought we might like to try this. I appreciate any comments. Our flight is not until 2:30pm so we will not be in a rush to get off.

That's not true unless something has changed. We have done this on both cruises and we were REQUIRED to be the in the first 2 groups off the ship. It is not a walk off the ship whenever you want kind of thing.

That's not true unless something has changed. We have done this on both cruises and we were REQUIRED to be the in the first 2 groups off the ship. It is not a walk off the ship whenever you want kind of thing.

I always do self assist and while most choose this option because they want to get off the ship early, you are under no obligation to leave the ship with the first group.

Well before there was an official self assist, people would carry their bags off and just wait until their color was called.

You just have to carry your bags with you everywhere until you leave.

I have asked several CD and all have said that you can leave this way.

Not sure how they could ever REQUIRE people to be the first off, if they are willing to stay with their bags, especially since self assist isnt something you sign up for or let anyone even know you are doing.

I always do self assist and while most choose this option because they want to get off the ship early, you are under no obligation to leave the ship with the first group.

Well before there was an official self assist, people would carry their bags off and just wait until their color was called.

You just have to carry your bags with you everywhere until you leave.

I have asked several CD and all have said that you can leave this way.

Not sure how they could ever REQUIRE people to be the first off, if they are willing to stay with their bags, especially since self assist isnt something you sign up for or let anyone even know you are doing.

Like I said unless something has changed we were required to walk off at a specific time. We had special luggage tags and were told if we signed for it we were agreeing to being the first group off. Maybe it's not the same anymore but this is what we were told to do when we signed up for it and we tend to listen to what we are told. they never once told us we could go whenever we wanted.

I have a quick question. If we do self assist to leave the ship can we make a flight from Orlando at 10:00?

Sailing back to Port Canaveral? I definitely wouldn't risk that. Since you have to be to the airport an hour before the flight, and it takes about an hour to drive to Orlando, you need to be off the ship by 7:30 at the latest, and I'm not sure I've seen people debarking that early.:(

We did self assist off the Fantasy in Dec. Theirs was silent debarkation so we were assigned a time to meet the elevators. It took maybe 20-25 min to get off the ship, in the car, and be gone. They really want everyone off early so you should be fine.

I've done self-assist debarkation on my last 8 cruises, and there wasn't any kind of special tags for us, nor did we have to sign up for it on any of those cruises. It's useless for anyone who checked bags to get off during self-assist, since their bags won't be available for pickup until later, so there's no need for self-assist people to have tags. You are supposed to wait until your floor is called. Anytime after that is fine. If you're in a party with different rooms on different floors, you can all go together. I've had that twice, and got to leave earlier than the rest of my floor because of it.

These last 3 cruises, we took our time getting ready in the morning, especially since they started calling floors before 7:00 on those cruises. On one, they were about to start calling the numbers for regular debarkation when we got off. No line at all that time. Even if you're leaving during regular debarkation, it's no big deal, since you wouldn't be stopping to grab your luggage anyway. And if you're not in a hurry, you might as well be one of the last ones off the ship. It's not like they're going to stop you at the exit and force you to check a suitcase.

I've had late flights before and we always go & tell the front desk at some point during the cruise. They move us to the last group getting off the ship & we can stay onboard as long as possible, but we didn't do self-assist. The nice thing about being able to get off almost last is you get an opportunity to see all the staterooms. All of them are being cleaned, so you can just walk right into suites, aft balconies, the captain's suite or just about any room you'd like! Really neat to see the different accommodations, but that's just me.

So if your doing a self assist you do not have to put your luggage out in the hall the night before correct?

And you can still stay on board even if your colour, floor or whatever was called? We just didn't want to leave that early, have breakfast first take last pictures and what not.

I have done self assist debarkation 15 times and have never been required to leave early. In fact, we are never in a rush to leave the ship. We usually leave when we hear the CD announce "Will the last 100 passengers please disembark":D

Like I said unless something has changed we were required to walk off at a specific time. We had special luggage tags and were told if we signed for it we were agreeing to being the first group off. Maybe it's not the same anymore but this is what we were told to do when we signed up for it and we tend to listen to what we are told. they never once told us we could go whenever we wanted.

It hasn't changed, unfortunately for you someone gave you bad information and if you were given special luggage tags then it doesn't sound like you were doing general self assist. Maybe you were doing VIP self assist which they did at one time give Priority tags for, but that was only if you are Platinum or in a Suite.

The bad thing about being among the last off the ship is how much longer it takes you to get through Customs.....by that late there will be several thousand people off the ship before you and many of them will be having trouble getting through customs (forms not filled out, can't find passport/BC) and that leaves you standing in line waiting on all the problems to be worked out.

We were on the Dream in December. They said for self-assist, you had to have bags that would be like what you would carry-on on an airline, so if you had big bags, you could not participate. We docked at 4:30 a.m. in Port Canaveral and they began making self-assist debarkation announcements before 6:15 a.m. They didn't start the Group calling until after 7:30, but then it went pretty quickly for the first 8-10 groups, then a pause for about 15 minutes before calling the next sets. We were in Group 16 (Deck 2 forward) and the schedule predicted an 8:20-8:40 window for us to disembark. It was about 8:30 when they called us.

They did make a "last and final call" for self assist people just before they called for Groups 1 and 2. I'm fairly certain that if you were a self-assist and had not disembarked that you could still disembark whenever you were ready :)

We had planned to self-assist until we read the material that said if you had larger bags (described as those that would not be carry-on size for airlines) to not do it. So instead we had a nice leisurely breakfast and watched the Three Stooges on our stateroom TV until about 8:20 when we moved to the Encore Lounge. We had kept an eye in the hallway for our steward in case he was ready to start cleaning our room, but we never saw him (or anyone) so we didn't scurry out.

We were on the Dream in December. They said for self-assist, you had to have bags that would be like what you would carry-on on an airline, so if you had big bags, you could not participate. We docked at 4:30 a.m. in Port Canaveral and they began making self-assist debarkation announcements before 6:15 a.m. They didn't start the Group calling until after 7:30, but then it went pretty quickly for the first 8-10 groups, then a pause for about 15 minutes before calling the next sets. We were in Group 16 (Deck 2 forward) and the schedule predicted an 8:20-8:40 window for us to disembark. It was about 8:30 when they called us.

They did make a "last and final call" for self assist people just before they called for Groups 1 and 2. I'm fairly certain that if you were a self-assist and had not disembarked that you could still disembark whenever you were ready :)

We had planned to self-assist until we read the material that said if you had larger bags (described as those that would not be carry-on size for airlines) to not do it. So instead we had a nice leisurely breakfast and watched the Three Stooges on our stateroom TV until about 8:20 when we moved to the Encore Lounge. We had kept an eye in the hallway for our steward in case he was ready to start cleaning our room, but we never saw him (or anyone) so we didn't scurry out.

Unfortunately it sounds like you were given bad information too. The only requirement is that you are able to handle all of your bags without assistance.

I have cruised out of Port Canaveral, Miami, New Orleans, Long Beach and Galveston and I have done self assist in all of them and I take a 28" pullman and a duffle style carry-on.

The only restriction that they have ever announced was at Port Canaveral if you want to use the escalator you have to have one free hand to hold onto the rail. Otherwise they make you use the elevator.

Wow. I am really glad I read this thread. We were told we had to leave on the first group. Maybe that is just something they are telling people to get them off the ship quicker?

Especially on princess. They left our luggage tags at our room and notified us that if we wanted self assist debark we had to notify the service desk and exchange our luggage tags for new ones. My husband and i even were wondering why we needed luggage tags since we carried our luggage off?

I love self assist. You never put your luggage out in the hall, you never have to search for it in piles of others' luggage and if you get off early (like we have because we thought we had to) customs takes 5 minutes tops!

I have a quick question. If we do self assist to leave the ship can we make a flight from Orlando at 10:00?

I wouldn't risk it. AA changed our flight to 10:50 out of Orlando and I called to change it to 12:15 (not as good a flight b/c we have to change in MIA:mad:), but I don't want to be stressed out trying to make a flight.

I have never "signed up" for self disembark, We just do it!

Wow. I am really glad I read this thread. We were told we had to leave on the first group. Maybe that is just something they are telling people to get them off the ship quicker?

Especially on princess. They left our luggage tags at our room and notified us that if we wanted self assist debark we had to notify the service desk and exchange our luggage tags for new ones. My husband and i even were wondering why we needed luggage tags since we carried our luggage off?

I love self assist. You never put your luggage out in the hall, you never have to search for it in piles of others' luggage and if you get off early (like we have because we thought we had to) customs takes 5 minutes tops!

I never put luggage tags on for self disembark. The luggage tags are only for if you put your bags out. That way you can find them in the terminal by tag number. They batch bags together by tag number.

Take your time and self disembark when ever you like!!!

With self assist, you can either get off the ship early in one of the designated groups for self assist, or at the very end of debarkation after the rest of the groups have left the ship.

they do not want random people dragging their bags through the crowds of hundreds of people without luggage during regular debarkation, it just gets messy. :D

We did a self assist 2007 in Norfolk, VA off the Carnival Victory. It was a mad house. They called certain decks and no one listened. Everyone went down at the same time. The stairs and elevators were jammed. The two couples we were with did not do self assist made out much better than we did. We were almost trampled. The crew did nothing to enforce who was getting off when. Some blamed it on the Port of Norfolk, but the real problems were on the ship. Told this story to the Carnival rep at our TA open house. She said things would improve.

We did a self assist 2007 in Norfolk, VA off the Carnival Victory. It was a mad house. They called certain decks and no one listened. Everyone went down at the same time. The stairs and elevators were jammed. The two couples we were with did not do self assist made out much better than we did. We were almost trampled. The crew did nothing to enforce who was getting off when. Some blamed it on the Port of Norfolk, but the real problems were on the ship. Told this story to the Carnival rep at our TA open house. She said things would improve.

That was our experience too in April 2007 & April 2009. It was ridiculous! On the Holiday and 2nd Dream, there was a little bit of a back-up in the lobby, but it didn't reach the stairs. Our 1st Dream, the Triumph, & the Miracle, we walked right off the ship, only stopping to scan our cards. So it has improved quite a bit since it started. I think the main improvement has been with the passengers. With those bad experiences, everybody went down all at once, even before the first floor was called. Now, we've realized that it works much better & quicker if we follow directions.

I have heard the rule at some ports about needing one hand free. But I always have 2 rolling suitcases, and they are a piece of cake to roll around. When I set them down on the elevator steps, one in front and one behind, I have 2 hands free. They mainly just want you to be able to handle what you've got, and I can handle mine easily. Besides, by the time I'm walking off the ship, it's too late to check a suitcase.

I have heard the rule at some ports about needing one hand free. But I always have 2 rolling suitcases, and they are a piece of cake to roll around. When I set them down on the elevator steps, one in front and one behind, I have 2 hands free. They mainly just want you to be able to handle what you've got, and I can handle mine easily. Besides, by the time I'm walking off the ship, it's too late to check a suitcase.

I think you meant escalator steps.:p:D

Long Beach is one of the ports that has an escalator and 1 small elevator.

I found our Debarkation Information sheet with our Fun Times from December on the Dream. Here's what is says:

As You Depart:

Option 1: - blah blah blah about put your bags outside, etc.

Option 2: If you have one or two airline sized carry-on pieces of luggage, you may participate in our Self Assist option. Bear in mind that you will need to physically take all of your bags with you and that there may be escalators, stairs, and lines to contendw ith. Oversized and multiple pieces of luggage does not qualify for this program.

... If you choose Option 2 (Self Assist) please keep your luggage in your stateroom until you leave the following morning. It is not necessary to place the Zone Luggage Tags on your luggage.

... Option 2 - Self Assist Debarkation Times: Please listen for annoucement as we will be calling Self Assist Guests down by DECK number as soon as the ship has been cleared by the Local Authorities (starting approx at 6:30 a.m.). Remember that Self Assist is only for those Guests who can safely carry off your bags. Bear in mind that you will need to physically take all of your bags with you and that there may be escalators, stairs and lines to contend with.

I heard the annoucements for Self Assist departures but did not hear them specify Deck numbers with that announcement - they started before 6:30 a.m.

We did not get a self-assist announcement only decks were announced. Forgot to mention a lot of the people suck trying to go down the stairs were dragging their luggage just like us. Maybe that was the problem, no self-assist announcement. Also they did not enforce only letting the deck announced to leave. We were asked, nicely, to vacate our cabin so it could be cleaned. So we waited in the bar area until the announcements started, and that was early as we ate breakfast at 6 a.m.

Archived