Cove vs Reg balcony

Lyn3165

We've not had a regular balcony on the Dream, but we had a Cove - we loved it. It's open - not plexiglassed, the way it edges out, there is a ledge you can set a glass on or prop your feet on. You're obviously closer to the water / pier - we were on the Port side between the two forward gangways and got lots of entertainment from people-watching as all-aboard time approached each port day.

The regular balconies being up higher, at least on Deck 6 on the Dream, can be seen easily from people on Deck 5 as the deck extends out past where the upper decks are. So you can sit on Deck 5 and look up and see what's happening on Deck 6 balconies if you were so inclined.

As others have mentioned the Coves don't have the Plexiglas front the way normal balcony cabins do. Here's a view of my cabin on the Dream from the outside...

Dream019.jpg

In reality, the view from a Cove balcony is actually better when seated than it is from standard balcony cabins. Also, the location is important. You're on the Main Deck and not four, five, six or more decks higher. The view of the sea is fantastic!!!

:)

We did the cove on the Magic, and did like it .We were in 2288 and were surprised how quiet it was. It was nice being close to the water, the only downside being that we caught some spray when the seas were a little rough. Deck 2 is great for getting on and off the ship also. No need for an elevator. The balcony seems a little more private also, with more metal around you. So overall, we liked it, and they are the cheapest.The Magic layout is the same as the Dream.

I loved our cove on the Dream. We were also in 2288 and it was super quiet. It was amazing how close you actually are to the water. I really don't like how the promenade juts out on these ships and will always choose a cove on this class of ship.

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone tell me what is directly across from cabin 2288 on the Dream?

Best site to look at deck plans. Remember to line up elevators or stairs when doing the overlapping / click and drag option.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/dragit2.php?ship=Carnival%20Dream

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/decks.php?ship=Carnival+Dream

Looks like a service area of some sought, but not a stairway. Below the mystery space is a room, and above it is the middle of a dining room. Perhaps a storage closet for cleaning crew?

Can the partitions between cove balconys be opened for the duration of the cruise if family/friends are in the cabin next door?

It looked to me like one side of the cove balcony was able to be opened to the neighbor's balcony, while the other side was permanent. Oddly, the side of the balcony that could be opened was on the opposite side of the adjoining door in the cabin - couldn't figure out that one. Wouldn't you want the adjoining cabin to also share the balcony, instead of the cabin on the other side?

It looked to me like one side of the cove balcony was able to be opened to the neighbor's balcony, while the other side was permanent. Oddly, the side of the balcony that could be opened was on the opposite side of the adjoining door in the cabin - couldn't figure out that one. Wouldn't you want the adjoining cabin to also share the balcony, instead of the cabin on the other side?

that is weird. didn't know that. maybe it's designed that way because folks in connecting rooms are already easily connected. and now even people who are not in connecting rooms have a way to connect without having to get out to the corridor. it sort of makes sense when you think about it that way.

We wanted to know about connecting rooms on the Breeze and Carnival told me that if the rooms are connecting than the balconies will not connect. We had to pick either connecting rooms or connecting balconies. It doesnt seen to make as much sense. If the room connects, than the balconies should connect.

Archived